M&M Army Seconds

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

M&M Army Seconds

Post by jonahpach » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:02 pm

Hello..

One of my uncles is interested in buying a used army M&M Jeep.. These used to be available through JEEMEE motors in Guwahati.. Looks like they have closed shop.

Anybody know of any garage/shop dealing in reconditioned used army jeeps??

Jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:33 am

In Delhi Mayapuri is the hub, in Haryana it is Dabwali... not sure about other places...

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Re: M&M Army Seconds

Post by AgentDoubleS » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:12 pm

Mayapuri it is.. Got one made for myself too quite a few years back. They claimed it was a Red Cross disposed Kaiser. (in my album).

Prices for a compeltely worn out disposal (RCL) start from 25K (they did at that time, no clue now!)...Visited Chandigarh too when I was doin my research for a Jeep.. Settled for mayapuri since i am located in Delhi.. If you have an expert with you, one can surely pickup some good stuff.

The dealer i bought the jeep from had picked up a huge lot in an auction from Jaipur..thats the only info I have on the source of the disposal RCLs in Mayapuri..

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:52 pm

SS

What was the cost in your case ex Mayapuri,what was the vintage,and how much did the make over cost.

Welcome aboard & please do introduce yourself on the forum.

Sanjay

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:06 pm

.....till a few years back I think one of the govt agencies also used to auction these jeeps etc. Remember an uncle having brougfht a land rover for 25K...since he has a workshop for his earth moving eqipment...repairs was never a problem..........and best I liked was it had superb shock absobers....and was as solid as a tank.

AC

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:25 am

One definitely needs a well stocked workshop if you want to own a Landy. Eh, Grumps? ;)

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:13 pm

Sanjay- Hi... The total cost of the vehicle was 1.5 lacs if I remember correctly.

It had;
A toyota 2c engine- did 75K + kms on it without even once havin any problem..
Gypsy rims - and bridgestone radial tyres
Leather finish bucket seats..
Metallic Green colour..
Exide battery.
Mahindra steering wheel assembly and controls..

The reason i mention these things is that they susbstationally affect the price..

You can actualy get a willys low bonnet, fully done up for 1.25 lac at Mayapuri.. no comments on the quality of the product !!

The only problem (and quite a big one) is the mechanical issues one faces.. Though I think it was partly to do with the "chalta hai" attitude of the mechanics as well.. A small e.g would be that the silencer is attached to the chasis with a rubber bush allowing it to swing a little. The jeep I had initially had the silencer fixed to the chasis not allowing the compensation for vibration and causing it to crack too often.Just one small oversight and it begins to give problems.. I was a rookie myself (still am!) but if you have the right eye or know someone who does .. you sure can pick up some treasure at Mayapuri.

I would not know the vintage value of the jeep.. Frankly I wasn't keen on keepin a vintage, just wanted a nice looking, poweful and sturdy jeep.. (Tho some ppl claimed it was a Red Cross disposal).. never really got down to diggin into the history. If you see the pic in the album alot of body work from the orginal kaiser has been changed.. as I said - it was worn out and I wasnt too gaga about maintain the originality..Maybe now if I buy a Kaiser, it will be built differently..

I remember reading somewhere.. Jeeps are not bought, they are built! All the effort one puts in is worth it..! In bulidng and maintaining it..

As for the introduction.. I sure will put it in the Introduction forum.. have been around for sometime (more than a year) on this site.. never really introduced my self.. bad manners i guess!!