Mack the knife

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Mack the knife

Post by SMJ » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:10 pm

Have gained quite a bit from his posts so just out of curiosity wanted to know if MTK has ceased to be a member of the forum?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Mack the knife

Post by xl_target » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:39 am

We have all learned a lot from him.
I'm sure he's still around.
Probably just busy with life.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:13 am

Seems like the Grumpy Old Dragon isn't awakened easily :P
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:34 am

Humbug!!! :P

Added in 1 minute 25 seconds:
Dee, is that a BRK Loveless in your avatar?

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:12 pm

Kshitij,
You woke the dragon. Better get your fire extinguisher ready.

Mac,
Yes, I succumbed and its all your fault.
It is a BRKT Classic Utility Caper.
Its not the only one now and that is your fault too!

“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:05 pm

xl_target wrote:Kshitij,
ROTFL especially since I sold all of mine and mostly use Moras. ROTFL

Lovely little knife!

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:34 pm

Mack The Knife wrote:
ROTFL especially since I sold all of mine and mostly use Moras. ROTFL

Lovely little knife!
What?
Morakniv?
Oh the humanity!
......and all that after YOUR posts convinced me to get Barkies.

Anyway, I'm happy with the ones I have at this time. They came quite sharp. I've only cut myself three times so far :). The Utility Caper is like a razor blade with a handle and Elmax seems to hold a decent edge.
My main concern was always how I was going to sharpen them. You showed me that convex edges are not hard to keep touched up. Neither CPM-3V or Elmax were hard to touch up.

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:32 am

A lot of the older members have not been active for quite a while so its good to see posts from both Mack and Kshitij after ages!

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:32 am

You woke the dragon. Better get your fire extinguisher ready.
Hahaha
This feels like a reunion of sorts, good to see that everyone is ticking just fine :D
That's a very pretty knife you got there! Some stropping should keep the edge nice and sharp after each use.

Oh and I too have the dragon to partly blame for the sharpie obsession and fully blame for pushing me down the fountain pen rabbit hole.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:06 am

xl_target wrote: What?
Morakniv?
Oh the humanity!
......and all that after YOUR posts convinced me to get Barkies.

Anyway, I'm happy with the ones I have at this time. They came quite sharp. I've only cut myself three times so far :). The Utility Caper is like a razor blade with a handle and Elmax seems to hold a decent edge.
My main concern was always how I was going to sharpen them. You showed me that convex edges are not hard to keep touched up. Neither CPM-3V or Elmax were hard to touch up.
The convex grind is still my favourite and the Scandi grind at the other end of the spectrum. So on that score you still have the better knives. However, there is a lot to be said for the pure utilitarian nature of the Moras, despite their Scandi grinds.

I have no experience of Elmax but I did have one BRK in 3V and did not care much for it. A well made carbon steeel is still my first choice.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:07 pm

The only thing that the Mora has, for me, is that I wouldn't be afraid to abuse it, whereas I would be hesitant to beat on my Barkies.
No doubt they would take it but they're just so pretty that I don't even want a blemish on them.
I suppose it's like a new car; one you get the first few door dings, it doesn't really matter.
BTW, that damn 3V cut me more than anything. Just touching the edge accidentally did it a couple of times. The cuts were deep but so clean that they healed up without a scar.

As for the pens, I did buy a couple when you were posting about them but after they dried out or clogged up, I remembered why I stopped using them after High School.
Rather than rinse them out or clean them, it was a lot easier to just grab a ball point.
Besides that, I spend so much time on a keyboard that I don't want to write anything when I get home.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:31 am

I don't abuse knives, irrespective of cost. Don't baby the BRKs.

Here's a suggestion for something a lot less expensive than a Bark River - try the knife kits from http://brisa.fi/

You get a choice of steels, woods and liners to choose from.

A couple of examples below.

Added in 5 minutes 24 seconds:
Give it a try.

P.S.: Prices are far lower once you are logged in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:38 pm

Nice...been a bit of a blade nut recently so gotta step up from Muelas, Nietos and fake buck folders lol

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:33 pm

Hey Mac,
Thanks for the link.
I have a similar outfit in the town where I work.
I was searching for leather working tools and came across them. I gave them a call and was given a tour by the owner.
They have a huge warehouse and do a mostly mail order business.
They will now allow me to place orders over the phone or internet and walk in to pick up the order a couple of hours later.
The place is called Midwest Knife Supply.
They do have a very large supply of handle materials, among other things.

I seriously considered this but I just have too many hobbies already. I wish there were more hours in a day to do everything I wanted to.

They pointed me in the right direction to make the hatchet sheaths that I wanted.
The first one was rather crude but it does work effectively.
ImageImage
The others were better and my stitching is improving. I gave away the first few; just trying out concepts.

I'm in the process of building one for my Husky camp hatchet (made by Wetterlings). Still looking at different ideas.
This one sharpens to a razor's edge (it is convex) and will cut paper like my Bark Rivers.

I will eventually re-sheath my Bark River knives to fit my purposes better. That was the whole idea of taking up leather working.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:47 am

I have heard of them and you are definitely in luck given their proximity to you.

You don't have to assemble or make a knife overnight. Do it over a few weekends or a couple of months but do consider it, as it will save you fair amount of money down the line. The fact that it is relaxing and enjoyable, makes the deal all the more sweeter.

Glad you are getting into leather working. Have fun and keep us posted.