Recent pic of my hound

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Recent pic of my hound

Post by Yaj » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:15 pm

Just wanted to share a recent pic of my Caravan hound Khamsin(aka Cammy)

Yaj.
The more people I meet,the more i like my dog!

For Advertising mail webmaster
hellfire_m16
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by hellfire_m16 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:43 pm

nice companion yaj seeing the picture of the breed for th first time .i am a dog lover to have a doberman a real joker of a fellow.
"Men are like steel, when they lose their temper they lose their worth."
-Chuck Norris

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Recent pic of my hound

Post by indian » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:29 pm

nice pic yaj :D an uncle of mine in andhra pradesh has 2 mudhol hounds which look similar to yours.in fact,yours and his hounds are quite similar to grey hound.very fast runners :D

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:17 am

Yaj that dog looks fast just standing still! He also seems to have a nice smile.

Was this breed used for racing or hunting something in particular?
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:03 am

Yaj,

Seen a dog like that after ages. Quite a few years back our tenants used to have a pair of Afgani Hounds. The only thing I remember about them is that the air conditioner used to be kept on for them the entire summers.And they were actually pretty mean dogs unlike your Hound which appears to have a friendlier expression.

AC

sat
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sat » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:09 am

very nice, yaj. built for speed.. do try & take a pic of him in full flight

years ago we had greyhounds & whippets. The greyhounds were much quicker but the whippet being lighter were much quicker to turn

sat :D

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:05 am

Thanks for the kind words guys.
indian";p="33268 wrote:nice pic yaj :D an uncle of mine in andhra pradesh has 2 mudhol hounds which look similar to yours.in fact,yours and his hounds are quite similar to grey hound.very fast runners :D
In my opinion and those of experts I really respect the Mudhol hound is the same as the Caravan hound.There maybe some superficial differences in some regional strains but those are lke "lines" in any modern breed.
Mark";p="33289 wrote: Yaj that dog looks fast just standing still! He also seems to have a nice smile.

Was this breed used for racing or hunting something in particular?
They are really fast Mark.They are sighthounds bred for coursing hare, antelope, jackal, fox etc.
art_collector";p="33292 wrote: Yaj,

Seen a dog like that after ages. Quite a few years back our tenants used to have a pair of Afgani Hounds. The only thing I remember about them is that the air conditioner used to be kept on for them the entire summers.And they were actually pretty mean dogs unlike your Hound which appears to have a friendlier expression.

AC
Thanks AC. He is very smart, friendly when anybody is introduced/welcomed into the house but if anybody tried entering when a family member isnt around he would be smiling because he just took a bite out of the persons **** :lol:
Thats another point where they differ from most western sighthounds, they make good guard dogs.

sat";p="33296 wrote: very nice, yaj. built for speed.. do try & take a pic of him in full flight

years ago we had greyhounds & whippets. The greyhounds were much quicker but the whippet being lighter were much quicker to turn

sat :D
Thanks sat. The smaller dogs generally turn better lower center of gravity/momentum etc. The size range is quite great from 22"to 32".
Got plenty of pics of him in full flight.

Cammy at 6 months

Regards,
Yaj.

rk
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rk » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:23 pm

Hi Yaj,
Cammy is looking great.
regards,
rk

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:40 pm

u r lucky yaj :D to have have something different is really great.one more thing,my uncles male mudhol is very ferocious and makes everybody to shiver on its sight :( :(

huntergill
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by huntergill » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:43 am

Yaj,
Nice dog.Just curious if Caravan and Mudhol are identical breeds, what about Polygar and Rajapalayam.Haven't seen any of the above breeds but heard that Poly and Raja are the same and Polygar is toughest and imposing of the south Indian breeds.Is this correct.

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:03 am

huntergill";p="34303 wrote: Yaj,
Nice dog.Just curious if Caravan and Mudhol are identical breeds, what about Polygar and Rajapalayam.Haven't seen any of the above breeds but heard that Poly and Raja are the same and Polygar is toughest and imposing of the south Indian breeds.Is this correct.
Thanks huntergill. Yes, the Caravan and the Mudhol are essentially the same breed though some people claim them to be different. The KCI too registers both Caravan hounds and Mudhol hounds but the KCI is pathetic in its attitude towards Indian breeds and knows @#$$%@ about them.
Whether the Poligar and the Rajapalayam are one and the same breed is a bit of a mystery because i have read conflicting de.scriptions of the Poligar which do not match the Rajapalyam breed as we know it.

Here is one account from the book "Thrilling Adventures by Land and Sea, by James O. Brayman".

“I was at Jaffna, at the northern extremity of the Island of Ceylon, in the beginning of the year 1819: when, one morning, my servant called me an hour or two before my usual time, with, ’Master, master! people sent for master’s dogs—­tiger in the town!’ Now, my dogs chanced to be some very degenerate specimens of a fine species, called the Poligar dog, which I should designate as a sort of wiry-haired grayhound, without scent. I kept them to hunt jackals; but tigers are very different things: by the way, there are no real tigers in Ceylon; but leopards and panthers are always called so, and by ourselves as well as by the natives. This turned out to be a panther. My gun chanced not to be put together; and while my servant was doing it, the collector, and two medical men, who had recently arrived, came to my door, the former armed with a fowling-piece, and the latter with remarkably blunt hog-spears. They insisted upon setting off without waiting for my gun, a proceeding not much to my taste. The tiger (I must continue to call him so) had taken refuge in a hut, the roof of which, as those of Ceylon huts in general, spread to the ground like an umbrella; the only aperture into it was a small door, about four feet high. The collector wanted to get the tiger out at once. I begged to wait for my gun; but no—­the fowling-piece (loaded with ball, of course) and the two hog-spears were quite enough. I got a hedge-stake, and awaited my fate, from very shame. At this moment, to my great delight, there arrived from the fort an English officer, two artillery-men, and a Malay captain; and a pretty figure we should have cut without them, as the event will show. I was now quite ready to attack, and my gun came a minute afterward. The whole scene which follows took place within an enclosure, about twenty feet square, formed, on three sides, by a strong fence of palmyra leaves, and on the fourth by the hut. At the door of this the two artillery-men planted themselves; and the Malay captain got on the top, to frighten the tiger out, by worrying it—­an easy operation, as the huts there are covered with cocoa-nut leaves. One of the artillery-men wanted to go in to the tiger, but we would not suffer it. At last the beast sprang; this man received him on his bayonet, which he thrust apparently down his throat, firing his piece at the same moment. The bayonet broke off short, leaving less than three inches on the musket; the rest remained in the animal, but was invisible to us: the shot probably went through his cheek, for it certainly did not seriously injure him, as he instantly rose upon his legs, with a loud roar, and placed his paws upon the soldier’s breast. At this moment, the animal appeared to me to about reach the center of the man’s face; but I had scarcely time to observe this, when the tiger, stooping his head, seized the soldier’s arm in his mouth, turned him half round staggering, threw him over on his back, and fell upon him. "

As you can see they are described as a wire haired greyhound in this account from 1819, doesn't match the dog we know as the Rajapalayam does it?
Regards,
Yaj.

rk
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rk » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:42 am

Hi Yaj and huntergill,
I do have a Rajapalayam. The hair on the head and upper neck are smooth as silk, and the hair on the rest of the body are very rough, but I don't think I can call it wire haired. I will post a pic in a couple of days. I have read somewhere that the term Poligar originates from the Poligar rulers who ruled southern Tamilnadu in the past.
regards,
rk

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:52 am

rk";p="34307 wrote: I have read somewhere that the term Poligar originates from the Poligar rulers who ruled southern Tamilnadu in the past.
regards,
rk
The term Poligar is an anglicised version of "palaiyakarar" whic was a term used to describe feudal chieftains in the region corresponding to Tamil Nadu.
Yaj.