WWI &WWII-The war's independent India has forgotten

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
penpusher

Re: WWI &WWII-The war's independent India has forgotten

Post by penpusher » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:01 am

Abhijeet,

Could not agree with you more.Lots of information on the net.However most of the sites are related to,in PC language,one community.This, I feel, is wrong.People from all over the country fought in Europe,Africa and South East Asia.Bravery is not the prerogative of any one community, religious group or caste.

An interesting aside.During the trench warfare of WWI,a large no. of Indian troops were stationed in Continental Europe.The British spent considerable effort in ensuring that there was no contact between the Indian soldiers and women of the countries they were stationed in.They just could not have Indians consorting with white women.An endeavour,in which they were not entirely successful.

The suffering and hardship that the Indian soldier endured during WWI,the same as any British soldier, the contribution that India made to the war effort made many think that they would be treated with greater respect on the conclusion of the war.The failure of this to materialize,contributed a great deal to the post WWI unrest in the country to British rule.After the II.nd World War,Britain had neither the strength nor the resources to hold on to India.Their hurry in leaving the country however created new problems, many of which continue to this day

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:51 am

Quite so penpusher... Courage is no single communities monopoly!

BTW, how'd they keep the Indians from "consorting"? ;) My mom's granddad was in the "great" war, and went MIA (presumed dead)... so he got his name on India gate too, as one of the martyrs to "the cause of empire"... then resurfaced magically, to claim his (posthumous) medal and pension... ;) have only seen his photos hanging on walls, and for the life of me I simply CANNOT picture the old man "consorting"!! :lol: :lol:

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:20 am

The old man was young at one time.:lol: A 'mem' ,no matter how ugly, was quite the trophy wife in Punjab at one time.A reflection of Indians fascination with white skin.Indians can be very racial.Ever seen how Africans get treated in India?Surprising considering that if you look back in history,some of them did pretty well.

In modern times,the Siddis,who were of negroid descent, ruled over parts of coastal Maharashtra.Even the Marathas could not subdue them.Some of the tribes in Andaman & Nicobar are of negroid descent.Saw a man at a hospital in Port Blair.I have forgotten which tribe he belonged to but he was undoubtedly descended from African ancestors.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:05 am

I believe the Nicobarese are descended from the same branch as the Australian aborigines... recall reading something to the effect ages ago...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:20 am

Hate the language used but this would give you some information on the tribes of Andaman and Nicobar.

http://tourism.andaman.nic.in/tribal.htm

Try to read about what the Japs did there during their brief but violent occupation of the island.Let me give you an idea.A couple of the British officers were disemboweled.They did the same to educated Indians.When food started running out,they tried to solve this problem by dumping some of the natives into the sea.Ross Island with it's abandoned buildings and the Gallows at the Cellular Jail with the little gate in the wall from where the bodies of those hanged were thrown into the sea ,are the two places which gave me the shivers

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:58 am

sorry to all, was jet leged and speed reading, i should thank Sanjay for sharing his family history.

white skin or yellow skin love (or lust) knows no bound. some of the things my fellow countrie men did to others in years gone by were not good.

brave people are in every community, regardles of colur of skin. if you really want to know how the solders and people suffred in the hands of the japs, serch out an old timers from India or the burma star assco. they can tell a stroy or two with marks on body. During the war with the japs it was not only the army units who suffered but also the local people of the counties which the jap occupied, Korean women were forced into brothels etc, to name a few. (have u seen the movie "Bridge over river Kawi") good movie to get some idea of crulty of the japs. since in japs culture , to be captured was shame, and they rather kill themselves than be captured. so they treated the prisnors with contampt and like animals.

just think if the japs had reached delhi?

did you know that Gandhi ji was in the british army? in south africa. with the rank of sarjent Maj i believe.

nagarifle

hellfire_m16
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by hellfire_m16 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:25 pm

Hi,
I need some info-My great grand dad fought in world war one and I have heard that he was awarded the OBE(Order of The British Empire)but have no way to confirm-any clues where on the net i might be able to get info regarding this.
-Vinayaka
"Men are like steel, when they lose their temper they lose their worth."
-Chuck Norris

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:43 pm

Vinayaka.

Indian officers were awarded the OBI(Order of British India) for long and meritorious service.OBE's were much rarer and not many were given to Indians.So it should not be that difficult to get information.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:46 pm

Here is the wiki link to OBI http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_British_India

and to OBE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_t ... ish_Empire

Considering the relatively junior rank held by Indians in the army during WWI, an OBE seems highly unlikely,but then I could be wrong

hellfire_m16
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by hellfire_m16 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:42 pm

penpusher,
My Great Grand Dad was a Lt.Col.(Dr.)with the Kashmir regiment/Maharaja-not excatly sure about the last bit.
My dad is still entitled to a sort of pension of seven and a half rupees per month(It was originally supposed to be Gold Mohars)-changed to rupees by the Indian Govt. post Independe-still have the relevant documents regarding the pension or whatever it was called.
Thanks for the link-sure do appreciate it.
Regards,
Vinayaka
-Chuck Norris

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:16 pm

Hi Vinayaka
i just lost all the stuff which i had writen down, da net went haywire. so let me point u in few direction which i hope will help you on your hunt.

in the uk their are regerstras kept for all who have received rewards OBE, MM,VC etc, in any serch you will need to have army number, unit, dates of joining and leaving, rank, places the unit went while in service.
the year in known when OBE was given.

try the following. army unit associtions in india and uk, this can be done via the net as both army will have association listed, army records, ie indian army write to pro, see the net, give ur details and g/papys, try under RTI for fast recponce as they will have records of who serverd.(hopeful)

indian national archive jan path delhi, have some info, ar on the net email them. slow responce.

try uk public records office(pro) they have lots of info, and ar on the net, bit slow in responce.
brit army website will or use to have names of accosiations. or just ask them they may be able to dirct u.

also try natioal mus in london try the net as they have some records, also serch the links on each sit.

can i remind you to "please keep any scarpe of paper etc in good contiditon for ur grandkid"

hope this is of some help, please let us know the outcome, if any thing else comes to mind will let u know.

nagarifle

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:08 pm

also try the british Library, who keep some indian records. and the British army musaum, london.
all the best
nagarifle
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

hellfire_m16
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by hellfire_m16 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:14 pm

Hi Nagarifle,

Thanks a lot for your valuable Inputs.Will let you know if and when somethings comes up.

After I have got hold of the papers I am taking the best possible care of whatever is remaining.......hope to make them last as long as possible.

Many Thanks and Regards
-Vinayaka
-Chuck Norris

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:42 am

Sanjay

Thanks for sharing, I had read about his medal its always been debated why IAF wasnt used during 62 war. Maybe thats why I looked the info up.

Hellfire

Incidently, my maternal grandfather's family served with Kasmir forces JAK rifles and my Uncle was taken as POW at Skardu.

You should look up Regimental histories to figure out which regiment he could have served with
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/LAND-FORC ... g-Inf.html

http://orbat.com/site/cimh/index.html

Best

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:37 am

Thanks people,Navi the reason was lack of proper equipment and infrastructure,the latter remains an issue to this day in the North East.

penpusher,each year in Mar there is a 2 day event in Chandigarh where recepient of all gallantry award's get together.

Hell Fire as suggested you might want to check with the PRO at AHQ,from your post it looks like that your Grand Dad served in what is now the Jak Rif or Jak Li,I think they have a common regimental centre.

Best

Sanjay