short vs long barrel

Posts related to shotguns.
vjha55
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

short vs long barrel

Post by vjha55 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:39 pm

I have been owning a DBBL gun since 2003. That was my first firearm and at that time I was not inclined to invest more so I purchased it from nereby town Munger in Rs13,000/-. This gun of mine has long barrel which causes a bit of problem when carrying in my car. I want to switchover to new gun with small barrel for this reason. What are advantages/disadvantages of this decision? Let me mention that I now have a revolver too. Please post your expert advice.
Regards
VJha 8)

For Advertising mail webmaster
kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: short vs long barrel

Post by kanwar76 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:45 pm

No Advantage asking sugestions here Zha Jee, everybody here is just a freaking showoff, cheeku and in any case you must be knowing already which barrel is good long or short so poochne se kya fayada :D

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

vjha55
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vjha55 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:52 pm

Aware of only this: strike power of bullet increases with increase in barrel length. But I must admit not fully sure of this.
Regards
VJha 8)

vjha55
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vjha55 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:06 pm

Another question I have in my mind is whether on the same gun licence can I purchase IOF pump action gun?
Regards
VJha 8)

casual shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by casual shooter » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:39 pm

vjha55 wrote:Another question I have in my mind is whether on the same gun licence can I purchase IOF pump action gun?
a shorter barrel will result in the dispersion of pellets a shotgun with a barrel cut just next to stock is the most deadliest weapon in close combat one shot is sufficient to clear a room,
but i am afraid the alteration in barrels is not permitted by law
and u have rightly said the shorter the barrel the more wayward is the dispersion of pellets.

dash
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by dash » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:16 am

casual shooter wrote:
vjha55 wrote:Another question I have in my mind is whether on the same gun licence can I purchase IOF pump action gun?
a shorter barrel will result in the dispersion of pellets a shotgun with a barrel cut just next to stock is the most deadliest weapon in close combat one shot is sufficient to clear a room,
but i am afraid the alteration in barrels is not permitted by law
and u have rightly said the shorter the barrel the more wayward is the dispersion of pellets.
isnt a shorter barrel meant to be for skeet because of the close proximity of the clays whereas a longer one is for trap,where the clay is flying away from you and the pellets need to be dispersed after a farther distance......???

HydNawab
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: short vs long barrel

Post by HydNawab » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:36 am

Now a days guns are available with interchangeable choke tubes.This means that you can use different barrels for different shots.For example, I use fixed Skeet chokes but many other shooters use the Skeet chokes for the first barrel and open cylinder for the second barrel.This is because at some stations in Skeet the second bird is going away.But I have never seen a shooter use a 30"barrel in skeet.28" is ideal for skeet and for game guns.

Where Trap is concerned, a minimum of 30" is advised with full chokes and the barrel weight is between 1.48-1.52Kgs but in Skeet we use 1.38-1.42 Kgs barrels.

Ashar
'It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze'.

'You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.'

-- Al Capone

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:50 am

dash";p="40065 wrote:isnt a shorter barrel meant to be for skeet because of the close proximity of the clays whereas a longer one is for trap,where the clay is flying away from you and the pellets need to be dispersed after a farther distance......???
In the trap/ skeet context - yep. Trap guns have longer barrels than skeet guns as skeet targets are shot at shorter ranges. The longer barrel offers increased muzzle velocity and range as the shot (the pellets) is accelerated for a longer distance (through the barrel) by the gases produced by burning powder. Skeet shooters do not need this increase in velocity/ range and opt for the better handling of shorter barrels (when compared to trap guns) as (unlike trap) they are not allowed to "pre mount" the gun and can bring it to shoulder only after sighting the "bird" - making good handling all the more crucial for skeet guns.

The dispersion of pellets (the pattern) is controlled by the "choke" in the barrels and not it's length. As Skeet is shot at shorter ranges it is desirable for the shooter to get a larger pattern at short range (a wider kill zone) therefore Skeet chokes are more "open" chokes, on the other hand trap guns employ tighter chokes to ensure that the shot (the pellets) begin to spread out further down range.

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:47 pm

Does size matter??? - very good write up here.
http://www.pafoa.org/forum/rifles-42/25 ... atter.html
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.