From Father to Son: 1950-2008

Posts related to shotguns.
shooter.citizen
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

From Father to Son: 1950-2008

Post by shooter.citizen » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:43 pm

My Father passed away in April 1971. He was a Hunter and Gun-owner, his father too (my grand father was an Imam and a black-powder gun owner).

My Father bought his SBBL shotgun in 24 May 1950; a gun from IMAM UD DIN & SON, made in Sialkot, Pakistan.

Before my Fathers death, he surrendered his shotgun by the order of the then East Pakistan authority sometimes in 1970-71.

And, after 37 years I bought it back! By the grace of Allah, rescued from Dhaka court 'Maalkhana' and On 29 March 2008 my Fathers' shotgun-number got entry on my license ...

From Father to Son. It is a heritage, it is something to be proud of and a value money can't be exchanged for.

...................................................................................................

nota bene: I urge my expert friends to suggest whether I can shoot this gun: any idea of it's manufacturer, how to check it's safe to shoot or not etc.

I had a shotgun, Benelli M3 and undoubtedly is one of the world's best tactical gun but my Fathers SBBL, is one with his memoir ... it's priceless.

I hope, my only child, my little mother, will keep the spirit up: the tradition and heritage of forefathers must be preserved ... and wish your children will do the same.

I thought I would share my joy with you. I hope you will appreciate.
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it. - Jeff Cooper

For Advertising mail webmaster
browning
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: From Father to Son: 1950-2008

Post by browning » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:01 pm

It surely must be a priceless gun! I can just imagine your joy! You should check its nitro-proofing etc. I too have a S*S Charles Hellis passed on from my great grand father!

Have Fun
Last edited by browning on Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:11 pm

Shooter.Citizen do post the pictures so that members can assist you in preserving this heirloom. Its great you preserved and brought the gun back. There are hundred of such guns in Indian malkhanas which at some point are taken over by the state.

Best

mashh1
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by mashh1 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:43 pm

shooter first of all very heartily congratulation on this precious find. yes this gun should means a lot for you and i can feel it by the words how you described your experience of getting it back.
Imam Ud Din was the most famous of all Shot gun manufactures in Pakistan. their trade name "Sikandar" was very famous. it was the name by which SBBL shotgun was called and demanded until the end of eighties. it is also the most copied local brand in country. countless guns are still in use today and many old duck hunters of my acquaintance still use them. but you should get your one checked by some gunsmith as it spent thirty years of neglect in that malkhana.
after reading your post, i talked to an old gunsmith who have now retired and asked about the shotgun, he showed me one from the fifties he still got on his license. there is a duck engraved on the left side of the action and "Belgium Steel" was written on right. he claimed that steel bar was imported from the Belgium and bored here.
there are still new Sikander Shotguns available on gun shops but these new ones are not that good quality wise as older were. there is a rumor that the sons of late Imam Din have split and now they manufacture under separate
locations but both use same name.
they have tried the DBBL and even pump Actions but never enjoyed same reputation. i have seen some copies of old Martini Henry shot guns with the brand name of Sikander but i cannot say about how genuine they are.
due to a split among the sons, i am afraid any record will be available but if any thing or information you require, i will be more than happy to help.
congratulation again on this priceless find.
regards

cherian.k.k
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by cherian.k.k » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:15 pm

shooter.citizen.congratulation.i know how you feel from your words,i too have a gun dbbl PASSED ON from my grand father.
cherian.k.k

herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by herb » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:04 am

Congratulation shooter.citizen, you must be a very happy man as that gun means more to you than a London best gun, priceless. My father has a Stevens SBBL back in India & I too hope of owning it some day.

Herb

shooter.citizen
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by shooter.citizen » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:27 am

I am expressing my sincere and heartiest thanks for your reply;it seems Abhijit made a great family of shooting enthusiasts where members love and respect each other, feel for each other. I would like to urge our members to extend our activity beyond shooting ... be family friends and share things as a family member could only share.

I am greatful to mashh1 who seems to be very eagerly tried to fetch as much information as possible about the 'Sikandar' gun.

I am sure, this forum will last forever. Thanks again to Abhijit and other 'gurus' who started this platform.

.................................................................................................
nota bene: Charlton Heston died, a great legend, not only in the movie-world but our shooting-world. He was a great leader of NRA.
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it. - Jeff Cooper

mashh1
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by mashh1 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:02 pm

thanks shooter for appreciation of any piece of information which helps you regarding the history of your father's gun. i think this is why we join forums where people share same type of intrest.
Charlton Heston was a very good actor and although i like Ben Hur and his role a lot , he was a great advocate of RKBA, and i love his statement "from my cold dead hands".
shooter at the risk of hijacking your thread ( you may start a new one). what is status of gun laws at your side and availability along with pricing of guns. from your OP it seems that you can get new hardware as you have mentioned a Benelli M3.
regards