Modern O/U

Posts related to shotguns.
Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Modern O/U

Post by Risala » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:36 pm

In O/U's it's always the bottom one just as in SxS it's the right one that has a lesser degree of choke,unless off course it is a Full & Full choke.Given the imported ammo floating around,the degree of choke doesnt really impose any restrictions on the type of ammo one wants to fire.

For Advertising mail webmaster
The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:54 pm

Sanjay";p="62340 wrote: In O/U's it's always the bottom one just as in SxS it's the right one that has a lesser degree of choke,unless off course it is a Full & Full choke.
That is why I am keen to know about the chokes on Modern ( if at all ) .

Like Mack The Knife pointed out, I also feel that the muzzle end of the top barrel feels tighter ( thus choked ? ) as compared to down barrel.

Shahid in his post mentioned the down barrel to be choked heavily to .710.

I asked a dealer dealing with Modern guns and he said both barrels are cylinders !!!

Confusion confusion !!! :? :? Can someone sort it out please ??

RP.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:51 pm

Can someone sort it out please ??
Pattern both barrels but remember the pattern may only hold true for the ammunition that was used for patterning.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:00 pm

Doc,

Get hold of some one with a bore gauge.Choke constriction (full, modified,cylinder...) varies depending upon bore dia (I think).Some one like Grumpy would be able to tell you more on this.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:35 pm

Grumpy would say that bore gauges aren't to be relied on and the only way to determine choke with certainty is by patterning the gun.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:33 pm

I don't know what Grumpy would say.

If the objective is to find out if the shotgun has some sort of constriction at the muzzle then a bore gauge is a good way to find out what it is relative to the bore.Not to mention a cheap and an easy way considering the cost of ammo and the fact that it is impossible for many people to find a suitable place with a back stop where they can shoot a shotgun to pattern it.

How it is going to pattern is something that would vary from cartridge to cartridge and would be independent of what the measurements are.

BTW bore gauges are not that uncommon as they are used in industry also.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:44 am

I agree with pen pusher.
i dont know how (un) popular steel shot is out there cos that changes the whole equation.
No ones commenting on the trap-like stock.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

Kamleshwar
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Kamleshwar » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:51 pm

I had an O/U manufactured by Mehar Singh and Sons of Jammu. I bought it for Rs 11,000/- in 1991.
It was quite good initially but later it started giving problems. Its pins were not working properly and most of the cartridges were "Kane" i,e, didn't fire. Once it landed me in great trouble. I had been in the Uttaranchal visiting a friend's old haveli. In the mango orchard a snake came and the local dog started barking and attacking it. I picked this O/U and tried to fire on the snake taking careful aim not to harm the dog. I found out the gun is jammed and not firing. A stick had to be used to kill the snake.
I got the pins replaced after coming back to Delhi, but on a subsequent visit to my native place in Uttaranchal I found that it is still missing and its pins are not working properly. I decided to sell it off and sold it. It was a 28" gun.
I have bought a SXS 30" Birmingham Small Arms gun. Its performance is really good.

jaz
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Modern O/U barrel 'chokes'

Post by jaz » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:04 pm

Last friday , we have measured modern o/u 28" barrels upper barrel is heavly choked about 713 THOUSAND(ID)
and lower one 724 THOUSAND . We used mitutoyo bore guage which is one of the best precise bore guage .
I think it is best that indian manufacturer is giving choked barrels , very useful in trap & skeet or otherwise in general shooting also u get very good range & pattern as well . But one thing is dissappointing in modern is that it's barrels are very heavy we measure it was around 1.24 MM thick i.e. 48 THOUSAND THICK other wise we have measured berreta wallthickness is around 30 THOUSAND .75 MM it means nearly half the wall thickness so thats why imported shotguns are very light weight .

R-Dhillon
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by R-Dhillon » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:09 am

Even my dad's modern is quite heavy, I guess the steel used to make imported barrels is far superior than the one used in India. I had heard of some one in jammu (mehar singh I guess) who imported barrels from spain and manufactured quite decent shotguns. Dont know if thats true. Any info on that?
Regards,
R.Dhillon.

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:27 am

R-Dhillon wrote:I had heard of some one in jammu who imported barrels from spain and manufactured quite decent shotguns. Dont know if thats true. Any info on that?
Ms. Khairuddin & Sons.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

R-Dhillon
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by R-Dhillon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:36 am

:) Wuzzup Doc?.. :)
They still in business? If yes, how can one contact 'em?
Regards,
R.Dhillon.

jaz
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by jaz » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:00 am

hello bro,
Dhillon bai kahirudin quality is poor my elder brother use to have there gun heavy like wale fish , I don't know why fellow members in forum backing stories of imported barrels Like shiva & co imported it or IOF DBBL barrels from BSA ,all fabricated and many more false stories .
Dhillon sabb Shotgun's used by sports person have barrels of EN24 (as per Indian standard) or 4340 steel as per European /US standard. EN 24 is readly avaliable in india by many steel mills .Jammu people not use because it's bit difficult to machine it and takes more time and precision boring tools .You an contact many manufacturer in Jammu for EN 24 Barrels and I, am sure they will work at par with imported ones .
Above all If go for EN24 barrels tell them to make wall thickness around 0.9 MM and you can have very light and durable gun.

I gathered all this information while I got chance to visit barrel manufacturer in (connecticut) USA in 2006.

BYE.......

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:13 am

I visited Ms. Khairuddin factory in Jammu last year. I saw a few models of different quality/price range there. There were O/U s and SXS both available. Some looked good . They did claim using Spanish barrels on some models , I do not know how authentic that is knowing the import laws etc. Saw a brand new Laurona there which was the "inspiration" behind some models. :D They don't sell their goods in Punjab.

best,

RP.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:39 pm

jaz wrote:hello bro, Dhillon bai kahirudin quality is poor my elder brother use to have there gun heavy like wale fish , I don't know why fellow members in forum backing stories of imported barrels Like shiva & co imported it or IOF DBBL barrels from BSA ,all fabricated and many more false stories .
Couldn't agree with you more.If only people would stop listening to these fairy tales.