Shotguns made in India.

Posts related to shotguns.
vrohan59
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Shotguns made in India.

Post by vrohan59 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:22 pm

We have a P.Das &Co. SBBL,hammer,non ejector shotgun.barrel Spanish made(with spanish arsenal proof marks),32" semi chock.Fired around 5000 rds from it,its been refurbished once.its been discussed in another thread.all kinds of shells have been fired through it,including a lot of magnums.
rohan
War does not define who is right -- only who is left
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

For Advertising mail webmaster
winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:12 am

vrohan59 wrote:barrel Spanish made(with spanish arsenal proof marks)
Care to post some photos of this rare breed? BTW lots of crappy guns came out of Spain.

vrohan59
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vrohan59 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:38 am

@winnie
Sorry can't post any pics,gun's at home and I'm not.the weapon isn't anything great,handling is mediocre,and from the lower spectrum of Spanish made guns.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

vrohan59
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

P.Das & Co. Indian made shotgun

Post by vrohan59 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:34 pm

Greetings dear members of IFG,
I am presenting some pictures of a little known Indian made shotgun;P.Das &Co.,manufactured in Guwahati.I thought that this was some desi grey market stuff,till we visited the factory not so long ago.All metal parts of the weapon,as claimed by the foreman of the factory is from Spain(the romance of Spain :lol: ),well atleast for shotguns made before 1971, in the said factory(if you can call it that,-a shed 15 mts.by 15mts!).I seemed all a cock& bull story till the guy produced all the necessary documents proving his claim.
Well as always the weapon is in MINT condition :D .Its no beauty and the pics will speak for themselves.
The barrel is 32 inch.long 12 bore,I believe its cylinder bored(no choke),general metal quality is fair.Kicks like a mule,but shoots pretty good and for a shotgun is accurate.
If anyone is in posession of a weapon by this maker or any other cottage industry gun maker,please share.
Regards,
Rohan
http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/n60 ... 20shotgun/

Pradyumna
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: P.Das & Co. Indian made shotgun

Post by Pradyumna » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:50 pm

Yes I remember this gun. It was SBBL & was purchased by my father in 1982 from a gun dealer in Raipur ( MP) by paying 1625/- . I was present there. It was actually Pasupat & Co. & was to be kept in our village for crop protection then. I had used it a lot when I go there during college vacations. I used to fire with hand loaded black powder cartridges. The gun was robust & was exposed to very uncalledfor treatment in its life. But it never mis-fired or never let us down. Once I fired a hand loaded ball cartridge ( it has cylindrical chamber) from it . The lead ball was made by our care taker of the farm ( who used the gun most of the time then ). When I fired , after the click of the hammer , the gun started making a hissing sound & I felt as if someone is pulling the gun from me with sufficient force.( I think it was for a long .. long .. 3/4 seconds ) for the whole period the gun was hissing & then it roared. The gun was held upwards when it fired. I now feel what a fool I was then. The ball was oversized & it got stuck in the barrel. The farm man very foolishly never rolled the lead ball in the barrel to check its diameter.Afterwards he told it was over confidence. Anyway the gun was still perfect despite this ill treatment & gave 2 more decades of sevice without complain till it parted in 2003. I am still surprised the barrel never cracked or bulged but I remember the barrel was too hot to touch.
Pradyumna ball cartridge ( it has cylindrical chamber) from it . The lead ball was made by our care taker of the farm ( who used the gun most of the time then ). When I fired , after the click of the hammer , the gun started making a hissing sound & I felt as if someone is pulling the gun from me with sufficient force.( I think it was for a long .. long .. 3/4 seconds ) for the whole period the gun was hissing & then it roared. The gun was held upwards when it fired. I now feel what a fool I was then. The ball was oversized & it got stuck in the barrel. The farm man very foolishly never rolled the lead ball in the barrel to check its diameter.Afterwards he told it was over confidence. Anyway the gun was still perfect despite this ill treatment & gave 2 more decades of sevice without complain till it parted in 2003. I am still surprised the barrel never cracked or bulged but I remember the barrel was too hot to touch.
Pradyumna

-- Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:56 pm --

This is the result of my hands on a computer. I told.. I am no good at the computer. But I think you got what I wanted to tell.
Sorry
Pradyumna

Nitro Express
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Nitro Express » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:31 pm

P Das & Co's are not only manufacurers of 12 bore SBBL Guns, but also dealers.Their retail shop is in Gopal Das Road, Panbazar, Guwahati opposite the Guwahati Municipal Corporation office.They also have a branch in Jorhat.

They have been in business since 1958. They were importers and retailers of Eley and Rottwiel ammunition.They also use to retail weapons manufactured by Lama and BSA.
They have been maufacturing 12 bore SBBL Guns by the brand name 'PASUPAT' Guns since 1957. They are the oldest gun manufacturers in North East India.

Initially they they did source their barrels from Spanish suppliers.Their guns were very popular in North East India and in Bihar due to their cheap price.I remember J.Biswas of Calcutta retailing them for Rs. 2500 way back in early ninties.

They did try to manufacturer 12 DDBL Guns by getting people from Munger.But for some reason it didnot work out.Previously their factory was behind their retail shop in Panbazar.They moved into their present location around early seventies.Their so called present factory inside the Bamunimaidam Industrial Estate is more like a shack than a manufacturing unit.

As for the quality of their guns, they are cheap, reliable and barrel heavy. They are aslo reasonably accurate to shoot.They are one of the very few gunmakers who still manufacturer guns with a bottom lever opening mechanism.

There is another manufacturer from North East India by the name East India Arms Co. They have a manufacturing unit in Rehabari, Guwahati.The factory is in the middle of a residential area.A portion of the owners house has actually been converted into a factory.They also use to have a manufacturing unit in Imphal which is now defunct.They manufacture both DBBLs and SBBLs.

Nitro Express
Last edited by Nitro Express on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:57 pm

Hi,kindly clear about lever opening mechanism you want to say that they manufacture SBBL gun with lever action like winchester.when lever is pulled down it throws emty shell or another type when you pulls lever backwards like trigger it breaks up like other SBBL guns thanks

Pradyumna
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Pradyumna » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:27 pm

Pull the trigger like lever placed at ahead of the trigger guard & the breach is opened .
Pradyumna

Nitro Express
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Nitro Express » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:38 pm

The breech opens up once you pull the lever which is located in the front of the trigger guard backwards.
I forgot to mention that few of their tooling is made in Birmingham.

Nitro Express
Last edited by Nitro Express on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

kalashnikovcult
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by kalashnikovcult » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:50 am

what does it cost now ?
cu kar az hama hilate dar guzasht
halal ast burdan ba shamshir dast.

When all other means have failed,it is righteous to draw the sword

-- Guru Gobind Singhji Maharaj

Nitro Express
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Nitro Express » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:32 pm

kalashnikovcult wrote:what does it cost now ?
It is selling between Rs. 7000 to Rs. 8000.

Nitro Express

Gaura
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Gaura » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:38 pm

Hi,

I came across the website of M/S. P. Das & Co.

Please do check it out.

http://www.pdasco.com

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:04 pm

Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

hornet
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hornet » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:10 pm

according to me all good ones and the bad are mostly collecting dust. no comments on the collectors zone.otherwise just take the trouble of cleaning them up once yearly and roam freely;with a pistol.it is the only item which is going on in the present situation; you know things always go through a change