Handguns to be imported from US

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
gunman
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Handguns to be imported from US

Post by gunman » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:45 pm

A friend and his wife are coming to India from US on Transfer of Residence,any suggestions on handguns they both can import?

For Advertising mail webmaster
ribaalber
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Handguns to be imported from US

Post by ribaalber » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:38 pm

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... ce#p160220

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... +residence

Federal Magnum revolver since it can shoot .32 (and you can bring some 357)
Beretta 81 fs: Highest demand in India
Walther pp andPPK
Lama .32
You may have to buy an used one since .32 bore guns are not very popular there...

Or if you want .22, there are are tons.. S&W Model 18
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms .... disarm only
those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes....."
- Thomas Jefferson

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general.
~Mark Rippetoe

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:48 pm

ribaalber wrote:Lama .32
Bringing a Llama .32 cal handgun from USA to India on TR is not a good idea even you manage to find one !

best,
Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

ribaalber
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ribaalber » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:06 pm

The Doc wrote:
ribaalber wrote:Lama .32
Bringing a Llama .32 cal handgun from USA to India on TR is not a good idea even you manage to find one !

best,
Rp.
Yeah, it is the least desirable of the lot, but then there aren't a lot of choice with .32s
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms .... disarm only
those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes....."
- Thomas Jefferson

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general.
~Mark Rippetoe

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:51 pm

Ideally a .327 fed Magnum revolver as mentioned since practice ammo in .32 S&W Long will not be a problem to procure locally. Ruger GP100 is a seven shot revolver if you don't mind the size. That, along with a bunch of full moon clips( the cylinder has to be machined for the clips) would probably make the best handgun for the Indian scenario. Ruger,S&W, Taurus and Charter Arms (I think), produce concealable 6 shot revolvers in the same caliber for which HKS produces speed loaders I believe.

For a Semi Auto Pistol in .32ACP/7.65mm, a CZ 83(15 shot) with a couple of spare magazines would be ideal. The other Hi cap pistol as mentioned above would be the Beretta 81. Lower capacity models may be more easily available. If a .22 LR, there are plenty.

Another option would be to get a Glock, 1911, or other hi cap pistol in a caliber like .40 S&W, .38 Super or even 7.62x25 Tok(ammo available in India) along with a .22LR conversion Kit available from JA Ciener or Marvel etc. and practice using locally acquired .22 ammo while saving the "big" ammo for defense.

Regards,
Anand

avi88
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by avi88 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:45 pm

What about aquiring firearm license in India?

indiaone
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by indiaone » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:19 pm

Probably the question is academic, so the qestion of acquiring the licence may not have crossed the mind.
Regarding selection of the handgun, it will depend on the purpose for which it is being acquired, the social status of the owner in India and the physical built of the owner. The most importnat point is that the gun needs to be acquired and owned for a period of atleast 12 months in the US immediately prior to the departure of the NRI couple.Another practical problem is acquiring of the licence. Enough political or official connection should be in place to ensure speedy issue of licence. The ideal is to get one even before arrival of the arms in India.Good luck.

avi88
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by avi88 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:16 pm

Well I have same situation, you will be surpised to hear what response licensing authority in Delhi gave & refused application. According to them, We only give license only on threat perception basis, Since you dont live in India & dont have any threat we cant give you one for importing a handgun...

This is all said verbally, I know very well that cant put these words on black & white. Problem in aquiring license before importing that; licensing process takes minimum 2 months & its hard to stay back in India to just follow up this coz whether you have job or invloved in business you cant leave it for that long.

Anyway have I have wrote to MHA & asked for futher clarifications about licensing procedure for people coming to India on Transfer of residence.

I would like to bring this liitle thing with me on TR...

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:45 pm

Well I have same situation, you will be surpised to hear what response licensing authority in Delhi gave & refused application. According to them, We only give license only on threat perception basis, Since you dont live in India & dont have any threat we cant give you one for importing a handgun...
These matters have been discussed at many places on this board, for sake of convenience discussing here again in a consolidated manner. I am able to see four different things in the above:

1. licensing authority in Delhi gave & refused application: There is no use doing anything "verbally" while dealing with any government department. Also always get an acknowledgment of the application you submit else they will conveniently say that they never received the application. If they are not personally receiving application and giving acknowledgment of the same, submit the application by registered post or speed post with A/D. Yes you can send your application by registered post or speed post, please read Rule 51(b) of Arms Rules 1962.

i) Keep the photocopies of the documents that may be required handy with you. Fill up the application form very carefully and submit it either personally and get aknowledgment reciept of the same or submit the application by registered post or speed post with A/D.

ii) Do not indulge in any verbal communication or get into any kind of arguments or ego clashes. If you have to reply, reply in writing, reply to the point only and respond by registered letter with A/D.

iii) After you have submitted the application, wait for say around 30 - 45 days. Do an RTI application asking:
a. status of your application.
b. if you have been refused license?
c. if refused, why not intimated you about the refusal?
d. if refused, refused on what grounds for refusal under Section 14 of the Arms Act 1959?

You can expect a reply to your RTI application in 20 - 25 days. Once you have received the status, you can raise your hue and cry everywhere and also file a writ of mandamus in High Court. I have discussed on this here http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 08#p161201

2. We only give license only on threat perception basis : Legally this is absolute nonsense, if you fight wisely and skillfuly you will win. Please read this http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 08#p161218

3. Since you dont live in India : Yes this seems to be an area that needs deeper investigation and understanding of the matter. Head of Indian Mission, or Political Officer are mentioned as licensing authorities under Rule 5(e) of Arms Rules 1962 and also under Schedule II, item number 3(c) III(c)(ii) of Arms Rules 1962.

4. we cant give you one for importing a handgun : License for import and license for possession are two different things. License for import is issued by DGFT and license for possession is issued by LA under Arms Act 1959.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:03 pm

writing to MHA is worse then writing to SANTA in lapland, both live in cokko land and aim to ruin your wallet.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

avi88
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by avi88 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:20 pm

@goodboy mentor,

Thanks for the detailed response & time you spent on it. I am not giving up but I wont use all my ammo at once either.

1.) I have got the proper written refusal letter as they give one to every one "no threat found to your life", when I confronted top cop, in a verbal discussion he said if we start giving license to import than whover go abroad will come back with a firearm.

2.) Fighting against threat perception issue- Problem is I dont live in India & dont wish to bring a firearm before I get license as it will be detained by Customs & I will be doing circles in between police & customs in that case.

3.) Even I dont live in India but I am still Indian Citizen & arms act doesnt restrict me to aqcuire an arms license, local police just supposed to check my residential address & criminal history than they submit that to licensing branch. So really there is no need to involve Indian Mission.

4.) My next step would be an appeal to Lt. Gov if that doesnt help than I will be moving to High Court.

Thanks Heaps for your time.

Bhargav
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bhargav » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:01 pm

Avi,

Are you currently located in the US? Did you submit your appln from abroad or while you where in india?

avi88
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by avi88 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:54 am

@ Bhargav,

I am in Aus. I made application personallly in Delhi. Police verification was done by local police & all other formalities. They called me for an interview & than refused itby sending a generic formal letter.

Bhargav
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bhargav » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:45 pm

avi88 wrote:@ Bhargav,

I am in Aus. I made application personallly in Delhi. Police verification was done by local police & all other formalities. They called me for an interview & than refused itby sending a generic formal letter.
Well I contacted a lawyer in Mumbai and what he told me was, it's always a good idea to apply for the license when you are in the country. The very first question he asked me was, where was I located. If the licensing authority have responded to you via a written letter then I think you should hang on to it and use it when you appeal in the high court.

Also I am curious, what are the laws pertaining to firearms for aliens, in Australia?

And yay, this is my 100th thread !! :))

avi88
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by avi88 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:57 pm

@Bhargav,

Yes you have to be in India to chase it & definately they will be calling you for an interview. License will be given to you only after you countersigned it. So its next to impossible that you apply from oversease & expect to get arms license in India.

Firearm Licensing laws are same here for everyone regardless of any race. One thing, getting a handgun in Australia is quite a big deal. Ever since the incident of killing 2 ppl by an intrenational student took place in Sydney I think back in 2003, drastic changes were made in firearms regulations. Govt. paid abt $20 million to ppl for surrendering their handguns those were not complying with new regulations...