IOF .32 revolver

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
TC
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Difference between Mark1 and Mark2 of .32 IOF revolvers

Post by TC » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:06 am

Its a cross between old Enfield revolvers and Webley Scott Mark 2. Basically the same frame configuration.

For Advertising mail webmaster
huntergill
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by huntergill » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:50 am

Ruger use Mark 1,11, 111 for the classification of their hardware too and was standard issue for armed forces of India.Concept borrowed from them?

shahid

Post by shahid » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:56 pm

Webley Scott Mark 2 would be Webley Scott B Series I assume ?

MajorSKUpreti
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by MajorSKUpreti » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:59 am

Dear IFGians,
The difference to my knowledge is that in Mark I the firing Pin is attached to the hammer but not so in mark II. In Mark II the firing pin is embedded in the main body with/in a spring so that every time a hammer is released for firing it does not strike the cartridge (like in Mark I)but it strikes the firing pin which in turn strikes the percussion cap on the cartridge. Mark II gives some advantage as the misfiring is reduced to a great extent.
Also though 3.5 K less costly the .32 at Jabalpur is probably Mark I and .32 at Kanpur is Mark II variant.
The .32 mark I of Jabalpur is probably manufactured at Ambernath Ordinance Factory and sold at jabalpur but all .32 Rev made and sold at Kanpur IOF outlet are Mark II.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:44 am

Case of left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing...standardisation anyone?
Sumit, Have you seen this model? is the energey transfer from hammer to spring loaded firing pin direct or via a transfer bar?
The 'transfer bar' between the hammer and the firing pin-where the firing pin is in the frame and not hammer mounted-this transfer bar is designed to rise and come into the same plane as the hammer and firing pin when the weapon is cocked and transfers the energy from the hammer to the firing pin.
Anupam, whats your model? can you please check and let us know about the transfer bar?
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:02 pm

Mine is Mark II...
Yes the hammer strikes the transfer bar (firing pin is the other end ??) which in turn strikes the bullet cap... There is a spring mechanism... I mean when u cock the hammer manually (for single firing) and press the transfer bar/firing pin with your finger, it is a spring mechanism... like something that u have in a single barrel gun (SBBL)

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:13 pm

TRANSFER BARS

A firearm equipped with a transfer bar will not fire unless the transfer bar is in place and working properly. The theory is simple. The transfer bar acts as a cue ball for the revolver hammer. The hammer rests tightly up against the frame, too far back to reach the firing pin. When you pull the trigger all the way back, a bar of steel rises between the hammer nose and the firing pin. The hammer hits the transfer bar, the transfer bar smacks the firing pin, and the firing pin jabs the primer. No transfer bar in place - no shot. The transfer bar is one of the best safety devices yet devised. It has another advantage; it is easy to see at work.

penpusher

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:16 pm

"The simplest check to find out if the transfer bar safety system is in place and working on a revolver is simply to look into the slot where the hammer travels. You can see the transfer bar going up and down as you move the trigger. Transfer bars were introduced in 1892 by Iver Johnson Company. Sturm Ruger includes it in their designs.

To test both these safeties, prove the firearm safe. Cock the pistol and hold it up at a 45 degree angle. Put the pencil into the pistol barrel. Hold the hammer back and pull the trigger. Gently ease the hammer forward about one quarter of its normal swing. Take your finger off the trigger and let the hammer go. If the pencil jumps, it was hit by the firing pin and the safety is defective or the firearm model does not have one."

penpusher

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:32 pm

Thanks penpusher, thats the right de.scription.
Axx

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:13 am

Sorry gentlemen, my mistake. Since I was the first to respond to this topic I should have mentioned this part. I was in a hurry that day and overlooked.
my apologies.

The new IOF .32 does not have a transfer bar safety. It just a has a spring loaded firing pin housed into the mainframe just between the cylinder and the hammer. The hammer has a flat surface that falls on the pin which in turn moves forward and strikes the primer. Thats it. Incorporating a tranfer bar safety in the Webley design would have been a major breakthrough because the way the trigger and the hammer are placed there is no space left to place a transfer bar that moves simultaneously with the trigger and hammer.

As penpusher rightly pointed out, tranfer bar safety has been the best safety designed for DA revolvers. In this case the IOF does not have any proper safety that way. If the hammer is down and the revolver dropped from a height with the hammer hitting the ground directly then the weapon will discharge by all probability.

TC

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:51 am

I have seen atleast 40-50 IOf revolvers and also fired them ,as most of my friends bought them as there biginner tool.but my experience is Mark 2 is much more better.As in older models when u fire the revolver pointing towards the sky ,there was a problem of misfiring,but it is not in case of new model .chamber alignment is also good in it as less sparks & lead particles are comming out from the side of chamber while firing.I have tested both the revolvers by wrapping a paper arount the chamber and firing them.
To proove the theory for effectivness of pinless & pinned hammer we can see that while cutting wood from an axe it is less effective & requires lot of force,but if u use a small hammer & a chisel it require less effort but more effective.That is the same case with the revolver i assume.
Plz give comments,
Badshah
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Test Fire results - IOF .32 Revolver MkII

Post by Olly » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:12 pm

Dear all,
Just fired a round of the IOF .32 Revolver into 2 Wooden Boards and 1 iron sheet besides other things behind it... here are the pics...

PS - I got about 6" from about 31 feet distance. .32 KF ammo

hope i have the right thread !! :evil:

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:25 pm

Anupam,
Board thickness, separation details and dia of expanded slug please?
Axx

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:23 pm

Anupam,

I assume this test was not carried out at home! Besides being dangerous, discharging a firearm in a populated/ residential area has serious legal implications!

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

shahid

Post by shahid » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:16 pm

Does Delhi have a pistol shooting range ? Tughlakabad has one ?