IOF ASHANI .32 pistol

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
VSA
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: IOF ASHANI .32 pistol

Post by VSA » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:21 pm

I just booked one today from GSF as OCF Chandigarh said that they will begin accepting fresh applications from March 2015 onwards and that too after putting up a newspaper ad and stuff. So, I went with GSF....Let me see how it goes....

I will certainly seek guidance and have some Q's in time to come, once I get my call letter. Kindly be prepared to advise me !!! :)

Best Regards,

VSA

For Advertising mail webmaster
dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:59 pm

dr.jayakumar wrote:hello everybody.
One of my friend had bought iof ashani .32 pistol 2010 make.as usual after a couple of shots the barrel bushing flew.with the help of a lathe, made a identical bushing with 5mm lengthier on the outside and 2mm on the inside.i made the notch sharper,that keeps the bushing stuck to the barrel.i am sharing the picture.it seems to work so far.
regards
dr.jk
This pistol was constantly giving me problem(accidental firing).so i decided to strip the gun completly.and look what i found,the thumb safety had a broken edge and this was supposed to be a new gun unused.(now i know why they didn't use)
regards
dr.jk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ss2008mm
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ss2008mm » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:54 pm

I have shot around 50 rounds and never faced any problem of misfire. Cartridge of 2013 batch had problem in feeding (due to poor workmanship) but after some modification at home itself, everything was ok. 2014 batch cartridge, which I recently bought, dont have this problem. To fieldstrip and properly clean the pistol (actually... out of excitement :stupid: ), I deliberately force opened the barrel bush (it is sealed with araldite from factory). Since then, after cleaning, I push the bush cautiously back at its place and pistol is firing fine. However, the notch/grooves which keep bush fixed in the barrel is very poorly built and no doubt, there is possibility of coming it out accidentally :agree: . Also, I dropped the pistol accidentally while cleaning and its plastic grip cracked. I changed it with wooden one. Apart from these quality issues, I feel pistol is firing good, accurately and satisfactorily. "Satisfactorily" in the sense, anything better than this (starting from 5 or 7 lac) is beyond my reach :mrgreen: . So at around 1 lac, being only available option in India, it is doing pretty fine job for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dsingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dsingh » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:32 pm

nice beauty it is good u never have any problems .It is useless to buy secondhand imported stuff at high rate.Even best of pistols experience stucking of rounds but it depends upon maintance.I have IOF revolver never have any problems.Congrats for nice beauty

VSA
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by VSA » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:57 pm

Hi All,

Just wanted to inform you all that I have already got the Call Letter to collect my Pistol from GSF. The whole process of Booking, making payments and getting the final call letter lasted for only a Month. Can you believe this ???

Unfortunately, I will not be able to travel this month to collect it. Maybe in January or so, I may go for the collection. The date is for December last week though ! Thanks

Will post more details next year, once I get it in my hands ! Thanks.

rohitsaxena
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by rohitsaxena » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:11 pm

Dear friends any one of you have got the chance of getting black ashani from RFI .Any puc of that pistol.

ss2008mm
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ss2008mm » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:06 am

Need advice of gurus. Keeping in mind the quality of magzine spring of Ashani, is it ok to keep it loaded (ready to fire) always with 4-5 cartridges? Second, what is the practical shelf life of cartridges? I mean, after how much life the cartridges of Ashani are not trust worthy (IOF website doesnt talk about it). I am already anticipating some jokes like IOF guns and cartridges can never be trusted upon :)

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:00 am

The shelf life of cartridges varies according to the quality of materials and the conditions under which they are stored. For storage, you want cool, dark, and dry. Ammo stored under these conditions can last a long time. I have 30-06 military ammo made in 1935, and I'm sure it would all go bang. I have shot lots of military 30-06 made in the 40s that goes bang, and quite a bit of Turkish 8x57 that didn't go bang every time. Surplus POF 303 is well known for being unreliable. I've shot plenty of Warsaw Pact 7.62 x 54r made in the 70s and 80s that is quite reliable.

So the question then turns back to you: you know the quality and reputation of IOF 32 ACP. Do you have a good place to store it? Combine what you know about this quality with your storage conditions, and then decide if it's worth the risk for whatever you may use the ammo for. If you are using it for critical purposes, maybe you would want to find a little fresh foreign ammo and lay it away.

More or less the same things hold true for magazine springs. Modern pistols are made with springs made of quality materials and by quality controlled processes. What is your feeling about the quality of the Ashani? Depending on how you use the gun, are you willing to trust that the magazine spring will perform its function?

People can give you advice, or tell you of there experiences, or the experiences of their Great Uncle Hector, but you're the one who must decide what risk you will or won't accept.

Remember too, to check to ensure that your IOF ammo will feed correctly in the first place.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Chandan22
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Chandan22 » Sun May 24, 2015 10:32 pm

Gentlemen,

I just got my pistol a couple of weeks back. I have a couple of questions, if any of you could shed some light on:

1. There is a lanyard ring provided on the left side bottom of the grip, ostensibly to connect the pistol to some string/sling and your body. While its easy to cut away the ring, I'm wondering what else this pin would be connected to? The pin seems to go through all the way to the other side of the grip, where it is held in place by a tensioned u-clip. Can this be removed? Has anyone done this? I couldn't figure out the placement using the "exploded" parts diagram provided with the pistol.

2. The grips are held in place by one screw, going through from one end to another. Does this screw also hold in place any internal mechanisms? Can this screw be removed entirely and the grips taken off without impacting anything inside? I loosened it enough to remove one half of the grip, but felt an inclined tension in the screw so refrained from removing it entirely.

3. What improvements can be done manually myself to make the operation smoother? The internal surfaces appear rough and unfinished. Would lapping/polishing help?

4. The trigger has some play even when the pistol is uncocked. Is this normal?

Thanks
~C

ss2008mm
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ss2008mm » Sun May 24, 2015 11:22 pm

Congratulations Chandan
Here are my answers
1. I think (expert advice needed) this pin is also holding the grip safety lever. So dont take it out.
2. You can take out grip screw completely. Only grips will come out; nothing else is being supported by this screw.
3. You yourself cannot do anything to improve the operation. Just keep it properly cleaned and oiled. Also, old IOF cartridges have problem of feeding which can be taken care of by minor filing.
4. It is normal with Ashani.
wishes

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Mon May 25, 2015 2:42 am

rohitsaxena wrote:Dear friends any one of you have got the chance of getting black ashani from RFI .Any puc of that pistol.
http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22954
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

Chandan22
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Chandan22 » Mon May 25, 2015 10:48 am

Hello,

Thanks SS2008...
I thought as much w.r.t. the pin holding the grip safety. Maybe I'll just file the thing down instead of removing it. Its a literal pain in the butt when carrying in small of the back.

Thanks for the clarity on the grips. I'm planning to remove the grips and replace with a thin film of polycarbonate or something similiar, with roughed surfaces to slim down the profile of the gun, which is screwed up by these horrendous grips. I couldn't find any slim grips in the market, and those available were ridiculously priced anyways.

~C

yogidelhite73
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by yogidelhite73 » Mon May 25, 2015 2:31 pm

Chandan22 wrote:Gentlemen,

I just got my pistol a couple of weeks back. I have a couple of questions, if any of you could shed some light on:

1. There is a lanyard ring provided on the left side bottom of the grip, ostensibly to connect the pistol to some string/sling and your body. While its easy to cut away the ring, I'm wondering what else this pin would be connected to? The pin seems to go through all the way to the other side of the grip, where it is held in place by a tensioned u-clip. Can this be removed? Has anyone done this? I couldn't figure out the placement using the "exploded" parts diagram provided with the pistol.

2. The grips are held in place by one screw, going through from one end to another. Does this screw also hold in place any internal mechanisms? Can this screw be removed entirely and the grips taken off without impacting anything inside? I loosened it enough to remove one half of the grip, but felt an inclined tension in the screw so refrained from removing it entirely.

3. What improvements can be done manually myself to make the operation smoother? The internal surfaces appear rough and unfinished. Would lapping/polishing help?

4. The trigger has some play even when the pistol is uncocked. Is this normal?

Thanks
~C
Just go for a session of 25-30 bang bang rounds , called as its first service and everything will be fine.

Thanks..

Chandan22
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Chandan22 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:17 pm

Hello

Yogi, that would be sound advice if this pistol was made by a company like a Toyota.. Rather at this point I'm more veering towards thinking that I have bought a ashok leyland and need to first build the body and tune it up before taking it on the road.

Anyways.. have done some simple stuff and off to the range soon.

~C

toughsurvivor
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Purchasing a new IOF .32 Pistol.

Post by toughsurvivor » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:33 am

art_collector wrote:.32 Bore IOF Pistols are available at Cossipore, West Bengal only. For people in Delhi and parts of UP Ordanance Factory has set up a depot at Ordanance Factory, Murad Nagar(bothe revolver & pistyols are available). The procedure to procure I think remains the same. You have to give an advance of Rs. 6000/- by DD along with details of your arms licence. At Murad Nagar there is a waiting period of 2 months.....But the revolver/ pistol its more expensive at Murad Nagar cos UP sales Tax (think its 20%)is charged here and at Cossipore VAT @ 12.5% is charged . If your frend is buying a pistol ask him to buy spare magazines along with the pistol from the factory......ur frend wud always thank u for the advise.

Art_collector

i have visited muradnagar ordanance factory on 29/05/15. they demanded draft of rs 25000 for pistol in advance along with arms licence details and for revolver they want full payment.