IMPORTED REVOLVER & KF CARTRIDGE .22

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

IMPORTED REVOLVER & KF CARTRIDGE .22

Post by aadhaulya » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:45 am

There are a lot of discussions regarding the KF .22 LR cartridge. It gets stuck in the IOF revolver, specially the old cartridges. I had some of the KF .22 Cartridges manufactured in 2011, after polishing the bore of the cylinder or my IOF .22 it was slightly better. But after firing the 8 rounds continuously I had to wait for some time for the empties to loosen up a little but still had to hammer the extractor slightly to drop out the used shells. Sometimes I even have to hammer out the used shell by inserting a thin rod into the cylinder to loosen the shell.

Yesterday I was in Rajasthan with my wife's relatives and came across a very old poorly maintained 7 round revolver. It has the name 'Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works, Fitchburg Mass, USA' engraved on it. The photographs are attached although not very clear.

I fired about 30 rounds of the 2011 batch that I had and they woorked perfectly well. No problem of any one getting stuck.

Now I am confused. Does the issue lie with the quality of shells (that has always been the crux of the matter here)???
Or is it something to do with the IOF revolver????
Or is it may be a matter of chance that the cartridges I used were somehow the odd (good) ones out???

I would also like to add that I did not like this revolver at all. The grip was too short to hold properly. And I wonder if any one would be interested in paying any money to buy this revolver even if it was reconditioned. I would like an opinion on that as well..

Atul

For Advertising mail webmaster
StormTruppen
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: IMPORTED REVOLVER & KF CARTRIDGE .22

Post by StormTruppen » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:40 am

Hey Atul..

That looks like an US Revolver Co. Top Break 22, But I am not seeing the text US imprinted on top of the grips, there's an owl or something instead of US. Part of the serial no is visible under the broken left grips. Can you confirm the serial no?
Also, I tried to get in touch with you, but I think I am not old enough to do so :)

So, can you get in touch with me :) (if I am not breaking any rules :D)

Cheers :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

StampMaster
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by StampMaster » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:46 pm

Atul Ji,

Nice gun, hope you remember I enquired you about this extraction issue.

Some guys who come to the range has mentioned this issue. They had same problem. However, they say imported ammo does not have much of an issue.
”Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:00 pm

StampMaster wrote:Atul Ji,

Nice gun, hope you remember I enquired you about this extraction issue.

Some guys who come to the range has mentioned this issue. They had same problem. However, they say imported ammo does not have much of an issue.
StampMaster,

As discussed with you I have a similar problem with my IOF revolver. But here the issue is different the imported revolver has no issues with the IOF cartridges.
StormTruppen wrote:Hey Atul..

That looks like an US Revolver Co. Top Break 22, But I am not seeing the text US imprinted on top of the grips, there's an owl or something instead of US. Part of the serial no is visible under the broken left grips. Can you confirm the serial no?
Also, I tried to get in touch with you, but I think I am not old enough to do so :)

So, can you get in touch with me :) (if I am not breaking any rules :D)

StormTruppen,

I am sending a PM with my contact number. It is a top break 22 but made by 'Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works', USA. I will have to find out the details from Rajasthan. But why do you want the serial number of the gun??

Atul

StormTruppen
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by StormTruppen » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:23 am

I reason I was asking about the serial was to see if this was an US version or an European One, as I mentioned some differences between the US model & and yours.

Just Curious you know :)

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:36 am

These were fairly ordinary/ cheap revolvers made in USA decades ago. I've shot with one owned by a friend, nothing special but they are compact and seem to work just fine.

If I were your relative, I'd sell it and buy myself an IOF 32 revolver... Using the spare change left over to buy ammo and shoot as much as possible. :)

If you can get a good gunsmith to make an all steel cylinder for your IOF, it should solve most of the problems you describe.

Cheers!
Abhijeet

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:40 pm

mundaire wrote:These were fairly ordinary/ cheap revolvers made in USA decades ago. I've shot with one owned by a friend, nothing special but they are compact and seem to work just fine.

If I were your relative, I'd sell it and buy myself an IOF 32 revolver... Using the spare change left over to buy ammo and shoot as much as possible. :)

If you can get a good gunsmith to make an all steel cylinder for your IOF, it should solve most of the problems you describe.

Cheers!
Abhijeet

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Thanks, that is what I also thought, but I wonder if any one would buy it. I will speak to the fellow to get rates as soon as possible.

Atul