Safety Advice : .32 Ashani Malfunction

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
Chandan22
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Safety Advice : .32 Ashani Malfunction

Post by Chandan22 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:01 am

Gentlemen,

Would like advice about a problem faced earlier today.

Was unloading the pistol. Removed the magazine, but when I tried to pull the slide to eject the round in the chamber, the slide wouldn't move. I tried as much force as I could, but could not budge it. The round in question was new, shiny, and clean, as were all the other rounds in the magazine. The gun is also in good condition, with barely 50 rounds through it till date.

I tried pulling, pushing and everything but could not get the slide to eject the round. I thought of pushing a pencil through the barrel and applying force by pressing against a wall, but didn't at the last minute as wasn't sure of not having an accidental discharge.

So finally, after trying as long as I could, I finally ended up firing the round. The round fired properly and the casing ejected. The slide was again moving properly when racked once empty.

Any pointers on why this could have happened and how to resolve it short of firing the gun?

~C

For Advertising mail webmaster
nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Safety Advice : .32 Ashani Malfunction

Post by nagarifle » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:32 am

best is to send it back as carp, second best is find a good smithy, never put a pencil and push down etc you may end up loosing your life.

check the ammo for odd shape etc as well
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:12 am

Chandan,

I think your slide is harder to move than other pistols even in the normal course. You remember last time I was playing with your pistol I found it difficult to pull the slide.
After that a checked a couple of new pistols and foud the slide softer. But I do not know if that could be a contributing factor to your problem or not.

Atul

Chandan22
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Chandan22 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:03 am

Hello,

Atul, it wasn't my pistol. Don't know about hardness of the slide though, as most pistols I've seen and used are similiarly hard.

I'm looking to understand why the cartridge could have jammed. Its not always possible to send a loaded, cocked weapon for repair. Thankfully it fired, so got cleared. I've seen the same thing happen though after firing in that case. Then it was easier, as pushing a pencil from the barrel allowed the stuck casing to be pushed back and removed.

~C

dsingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dsingh » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:54 pm

Chandan do not experiment it might be life threatening.Pistol stuck bullet might get fired these types of accidents r common even in best of pistols unlike revolvers pistol have single chamber.Go to expert and get it repaired soon it will be better for u.bE respectful and careful with any weapons u own particularly with pistol.

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:16 pm

Chandan22 wrote:Gentlemen,

Would like advice about a problem faced earlier today.

Was unloading the pistol. Removed the magazine, but when I tried to pull the slide to eject the round in the chamber, the slide wouldn't move. I tried as much force as I could, but could not budge it. The round in question was new, shiny, and clean, as were all the other rounds in the magazine. The gun is also in good condition, with barely 50 rounds through it till date.

I tried pulling, pushing and everything but could not get the slide to eject the round. I thought of pushing a pencil through the barrel and applying force by pressing against a wall, but didn't at the last minute as wasn't sure of not having an accidental discharge.

So finally, after trying as long as I could, I finally ended up firing the round. The round fired properly and the casing ejected. The slide was again moving properly when racked once empty.

Any pointers on why this could have happened and how to resolve it short of firing the gun?

~C
dear chandan
problem is in your pistols barrel.groove on which cartridge headspaces is cut down too deep in chamber
so slide pushes cartridge too forward and it get struck in rifling thats why you cant pull it back.
go to some gome good gunsmith if he can put some metal back on headspacing groove thats best otherwise
file off some mm of rifling from GOODSMITH
thanks

Chandan22
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Chandan22 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:09 pm

Hello,

Thanks Ashok.

However, I have a query.. If the problem is in the barrel groove, then shouldn't it occur more frequently, in fact it should occur with every round, not just this once. Have shot about 100 rounds through without this issue. And this time around I wasn't shooting it, just trying to manually empty the magazine by racking it.

Regards,
~C

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:01 am

I think Ashok is correct. The bullet actually engaged the rifling. This prevent the slide from being retracted.
If this has only happened once, I would suspect improperly loaded ammunition.

Believe it or not, I actually had the same issue happen to my SIG and it was the ammo that was at fault.
Even though it was commercially loaded ammo, the cartridge length was excessive.
In most pistols, if the cartridges will fit and feed out of the magazine, they will chamber without this problem but if the pistol has a short leade, this can happen with a cartridge that is slightly longer than usual.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941