Suggestions for which pistol to import

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
ravineet
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Suggestions for which pistol to import

Post by ravineet » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:02 pm

Hi Guys,

My parents are in US (Kansas City, M.O) and they are American Citizens. They ares planning to transfer residence some time next year. Both want to import a pistol each. I read on forum and customs website that the gun should be in possession for atleast one year before importing it on TR. They are planning to keep them and do not intend selling them.

Request give suggestion that which pistols (two) should buy now so that they can import them next year. Request approx price if known.

For Advertising mail webmaster
tirths
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Suggestions for which pistol to import

Post by tirths » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:06 pm

A bit search will help you. Many discussion happened in past on same subject. Another thread will not be a good idea.

ravineet
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ravineet » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:17 pm

Searched all topics under "handguns" till begining of this year. Nothing found on which gun to import. There are lot of topics telling about legality and procedure for import but nothing on which gun to import. so request advise.

tirths
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirths » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:21 pm

ravineet wrote:Searched all topics under "handguns" till begining of this year. Nothing found on which gun to import. There are lot of topics telling about legality and procedure for import but nothing on which gun to import. so request advise.
If I understand your query correctly, you have two query. viz. 1) Which gun to buy and 2) If your parents can carry the gun in India.

According to me, the first question is not valid if the second one is not satisfied.

saahil
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by saahil » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:20 pm

hi ravineet,
suggestion for your first query,which gun to buy? see,first thing we keep in mind before buying a gun here, is the caliber, of which we can easily find bullets, and there are only two NPB calibres for handguns of which bullets are manufactured here are .32acp and .22lr. and as per i know nowadays only some reputed brands make guns in .32 acp, like beretta,taurus,cz,walther.
in beretta range you can go for 81fs cheetah(beretta discontinues this gun is usa,but you may get a used one),3032 tomcat(7 round).in taurus range you have 132 bp(10+1,blued steel slide,polymer frame), 132 ssp(10+1, stainless steel slide,polymer frame), in cz you have cz83(15 rounds capacity,but to some countries this gun is supplied with reduced magazine capacity in compliance with the local laws).walthe have ppk-s and ppk-e(7 round capacity)
some other brands also make guns in .32 acp but they are not very reliable guns like bersa,kel-tec etc. but if i have to make a choice in .32 caliber ill definately choose cz83. you heve a wide range to choose from, in .22lr but they are not having adequate stopping power so not fit for self defence though .32 is also not a very powerful caliber but you have no choice here in our country.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:32 am

If I understand your query correctly, you have two query. viz. 1) Which gun to buy and 2) If your parents can carry the gun in India.

According to me, the first question is not valid if the second one is not satisfied.
I only read his post as one question which was answered quite well by saahil.
When someone comes looking for knowledge, how hard is it to give them a straight answer?
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:03 am

Ravineet

Your parents need to have the gun in US for one year prior to TR. They should contact the local authorities and sort out the gun permit/license for their respective guns. Good luck

tirths
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirths » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:08 am

xl_target wrote:I only read his post as one question which was answered quite well by saahil.
Really? Why do you think ngrewal put a different answer?
xl_target wrote:When someone comes looking for knowledge, how hard is it to give them a straight answer?
Stay here for few more months actively you will understand :wink:

coltpython
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by coltpython » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:55 pm

Hi ravineet,
You should buy a one Ruger Super Hornet. It comes with a cylinder each for .22,.22WMR,.22 hornet.

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:40 pm

Purely from the prespective of ammo availability in India pick a .22 LR, .32 ACP, .357 mag.

If you're buying a ,22 stay away from Walther and Sig. The former has issues with reliability unless you modify it, and the latter the trigger is way too heavy.

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:35 pm

MoA wrote:Purely from the prespective of ammo availability in India pick a .22 LR, .32 ACP, .357 mag.
.380 acp or 9mm short would be something I'd definitely keep in mind.

best,

Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:55 am

Ravineet
.32 revolvers can be hard to come buy you might find a good used one. Check Taurus USA also they have a pistol in .32.

http://www.taurususa.com/gun-search.cfm

Charter arms has .32 revolver these are decent guns
http://www.charterfirearms.com/products ... ducts.html

.22 LR pistols per my experience are finicky to the ammo so in India you would have to buy imported. Still if you are interested your choices are Browning Buckmark, Ruger .22 or Hammerli the cost range is $500 to $600.

I would recommend CZ 83 in .32 ACP or .380 ACP.
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... &aID=510C1

Just to make things interesting If possible see if you could have them bring one rifle/shotgun and a pistol/revolver? If budget is an issue Remington or Mossberg Pump Action can be had for $500ish.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... &aID=510D2

Over/Under Shot guns run upwards of $1500 stick with a Beretta or Browning. Or a Baikal or russian SPR310 for $500ish
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... &aID=510D3

In rifle I would suggest a .22LR a CZ rifle runs around $500 see below but there are cheaper ones like Savage,marlin etc

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... &aID=510B1

Best

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:32 am

tirths wrote:
xl_target wrote:I only read his post as one question which was answered quite well by saahil.
Really? Why do you think ngrewal put a different answer?{/quote]

xl_target wrote:When someone comes looking for knowledge, how hard is it to give them a straight answer?
Stay here for few more months actively you will understand :wink:
The OP clearly states that he is aware of the "one year before TR" rule. I have no way of knowing why "ngrewal put in a different answer". Maybe he didn't read the post carefully. However, his tone was not rude nor was it condescending. He at least made an attempt to answer what he thought was a question. He didn't dismiss it out of hand.

Now Tirths, I am not picking on you personally at this time. However, this is pretty common in most forums where people, who have been members for a while, jump all over "newbies" for asking what they think is a silly or redundant question. This forum needs to attract a very wide range of gun enthusiast if it is to be effective at promoting tolerance of firearm related values. Otherwise it just becomes a sounding board for one small group of people talking about the same thing all the time. Since this forum is attracting new members all the time, most of them probably read the posts in here before they decide to become members. Treating new posters with a lack of basic courtesy is not going to get them to stay or to convince new members to join.

You are always going to get people who are unfamiliar with the search skills needed to unearth previously discussed topics. You are always going to get old posts brought up again because some poster finds them interesting. After they have been on a while, they usually figure it out. A more constructive approach would be to link to the post that answers their particular question. We all have gaps in our knowledge and we should all be of the mind that "there is no such thing as a stupid question". The number of posts that a person has should have no bearing on how they are treated.

Look at ngrewals second post on the subject. He clearly put in time to do the research and look up links to help the OP. If one doesn't want to take the time to answer a question maybe its better not to say anything. Otherwise you are going to find that people will not come back after they have been treated in a dismissive manner.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:45 am

Ravneet
1. Do your parents (both) possess a valid firearms license in India? If the answer is No, then the firearms you import will be impounded a receipt will be given to you from the concerned office. You will be given a period (I think one year) to obtain Firearm license (for both). I see that you hail from Allahbad. If you have assured contacts in the District Magistrate's office and you are absolutely 100 % certain that you can obtain your license, then and then only you should think about TR route.
2. Choice of guns - One rifle &One revolver (Both of same calibre). Revolver may be Ruger Single Six Convertible 22LR/.22WMR. Rifle can be any reputed manufacture (Kricko, Sako, BRNO,Anschutz), should be bolt action, with minimum 5 round capacity and equipped with a good scope.
3. Why .22 for rifle& pistol.? The rounds are available, are fairly cheap, you can join a shooting club, become a member of NRAI and you can have access to imported .22 rounds.
4. Regarding stopping power? A well placed round can stop any human and you have a better chance of doing that with the lower recoil of the .22 as compared to .32.
Regards

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:00 am

As ngrewal mentions the used market is a good place to look too. There are many handguns/rifles/shot guns out there in good condition that will give you years of service. If you buy from a reputable merchandiser, you should have no problems. Check out your local gun shop and see what they have taken in trade. Just as an example, a used Remington 870 can be had for about $250 - $300 at most places. The Remington 870 is a pretty rugged gun that will give a lifetime of service with very little care. Just because it is used is no reason why it should perform worse or not hold up as well as a new one. Unless you find obvious signs of abuse, you might find some of the older guns are built better than some of the new ones, especially in the fit and finish department.