The Boberg XR-9 pistol

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: The Boberg XR-9 pistol

Post by xl_target » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:14 am

Last weekend I went to the annual Ahlman's gun show and tried out a number of handguns.
I finally got to shoot an XR9L.

At first it was a little different as it feels like you are loading the magazine backwards.
Recoil was more than manageable and the accuracy was fine.

The pistol does not lock back after an empty magazine.
There is a reason for this. Unlike a conventional auto-pistol, which strips the round out of the magazine when the slide moves forward; the Boberg loads a round when the slide is pulled back and let go.
So if the slide locked back, you would have to drop the slide and then recock it.
In this case, you just have to change magazines and then rack the slide, which loads the pistol.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:28 am

Nice experience xl_target! You must have had loads of fun at Ahlman's Shooters Roundup :D
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:29 am

Yes, I did CK.
I will post more on the subject soon.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by herb » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:55 pm

Thanks XL for the details & pics, nice pistol and very innovative design. Very practical & useful, not sure if it will win any beauty contests but then beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Will be high on the list of people looking for a concealed carry gun.

Congrats to the young lady, looking very nice in the ad.

Herb

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:58 pm

Congratulations XL for your daughters accomplishments!

It looks like these pistols are out of my price range at the moment, but how does the 9mm version compare to your LC9 size wise? Would it be a noticeably easier pocket carry?
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:48 pm

Mark, it is out of my price range too. I shot the XR9L which is bigger than the S version.
The XR9-L has a 4.2" barrel. The XR9-S has a 3.35" barrel. The Ruger LC9 has a 3.2" barrel.
The Boberg has a very smooth trigger with a short reset. My LC9 is smooth but the trigger is long with a long reset. The standard LC9 took some getting used to.

However, Ruger just came out with a striker fired version of the LC9 which has a really decent trigger. It is short and has a short reset. If you like the LC9's form factor and slimness, which I do, I would seriously consider that new LC9S. I was favorably impressed with the trigger.

Here is the Boberg XR9-L vs Ruger LC9 overlay

Here is the Boberg XR9-Svs Ruger LC9 overlay

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:04 pm

Thanks XL, I had seen that there was a striker fired version available now and I am glad that you've given your opinion. I also see that the LCP (looks like somewhat the same thing only in 380) is being offered with a bonus magazine and box of ammunition but everything else equal I am leaning toward a 9mm instead of a 380. I already have a couple of 25's around here somewhere if I want to go smaller, so no real sense for me to get a 380 when I get to that point.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:39 am

Last weekend (August 30th), I was invited to a get-together at Oleg's place.
Arne Boberg was there and I spent some time chatting with him.
Arne is a nice guy, does not put on any airs and will talk to anyone.
I really wish him the best with his company.
The Boberg pistols are still being sold as fast as they can make them and there is still a waiting list, I believe.
There are plenty of people willing to pay the asking price. IMO, the price that they are asking is not excessive for the build quality of the gun.

Like you, Mark, I'm not willing to go with anything less powerful than 9mm.
Not only that, 9mm is available everywhere and is probably cheapest center fire round on the market because of the volume that is sold. Even speaking as a reloader, 9mm bullets are cheap because of the quantities sold. I can load 9mm cheaper than any other handgun ammo.
I must also mention that my Ruger LC9 has been absolutely flawless as far as reliability is concerned. It has fed, fired an ejected everything I have fed it.
My feeling is that if you carry a pistol for self defense, it better be 100% functionally or you might as well leave it at home. I have a lot of rounds through my LC9 now and have confidence that it will function when I need it.

After much thought on this subject since the last Ahlman's show; since I pocket carry the LC9, I actually appreciate the long, heavy trigger pull.
The shorter lighter pull on a striker fired pistol make me slightly leery of them (even though that is probably just a matter of perception on my part).
In a soft pocket holster, I feel more comfortable with the standard hammer fired LC9.