My Pistols and target results!

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: My First pistol

Post by Sakobav » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:02 am

Rambo1

You are kind of missing a general point here and a fact that budget wise best bang for buck is Taurus and its a great deal especially where Weapon247 is located. As he mentioned Glock costs significantly more in Pakistan and hard to procure under these circumstances Taurus would do great. One cannot compare US with other markets or places its apples and oranges. In India police forces and defense guys have Glocks but the quality of ammo is abysmal and what can gun do here. Atleast in Pakistan they have a decent choices at reasonable price unlike in India where Imported ammo and guns costs a fortune..I personally like the best selling pistol in Pakistan 7.63x25mm Tokarev.. .

Best

For Advertising mail webmaster
Rambo1
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Rambo1 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:14 am

ngrewal:
I am not missing the point - both you and weapon247 are though. What do you mean by "budget wise best bang for the buck"? When your life is in danger, would you be happy with paying half the amount for an inferior gun, or having a gun that works when you need it to? The "best bang" is the one that you hear when you absolutely need to hear it!

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:42 am

Rambo1

Yes in a puritan sense you have a point Glock is up there Taurus for Civies isnt a bad gun and its reliable and a decent gun. My friend couldnt afford a Beretta 92 F , Taurus clone was great on the range. Even Weapon247 concurs Taurus is Taurus dont expect it to take the abuse which Glock can. For nominal shooting and defense it will pass the muster adequately..especially for folks on budget. No pistol is inferior as long as its well cared for in hands of accomplished shooter familiar with his weapon. I am not sure what prices are in Pakistan for guns, for comparison in India IOF made .32 Ashani goes for $2000 , pre 1984 Walther PPK, CZ 83 or Beretta 81F costs any where upwards of $10000 ( this is on low side), its prudent is to purchase IOF pistol and spend the money on ammo and training rather than bust the bank. In the end own a gun rather than miss one when chips are down. BTW in Pakistan other great choices are Markov, CZ and CZ 75 clones from Norinco and Turkey..

Rambo1
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Rambo1 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:10 am

My secondary point is that the Glock is so good that one can get a second gen glock and it will still be working amazingly well. I will go with a second hand Glock instead of a brand new Taurus any day (the manual safety is one thing that I abhor, and there are the other more maintanence type issues). The replacement parts for the Glocks are readily available (at least in the US) and the great thing is that parts like springs, sights, and triggers can be easily switched out and the gun is as good as new. These parts also work across different generations of the same caliber gun. The sights might need to be modified if there is significant holster abuse. But, even that is not difficult. Guns like Sig Sauers have parts that are specific to a year (sometimes there are different parts for the same model!), and it is difficult to procure replacement parts for them. I don't know about replacement parts for a Taurus.

gunnera4
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by gunnera4 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:51 am

rambo1,
you want to remember, many of our friends here live in places where they do not have the access to the wide open gun market you in texas and i in vermont enjoy, and they must deal with silly rules made by office wallahs who view anyone wanting to own guns with suspicion, like that "no 9mm for civilians" rule or the clinton "assault weapons ban", now happily dead, in our own country. you're welcome to your opinion on glock, but i have tried them and they simply do not feel right in my hands, nor do i trust their "safety trigger", and i have, like you, many years of training and experience, so glock is not a gun for me. taurus builds decent guns, i've worked with people who carry and like them. i learned long ago that there is no one perfect gun for all needs and purposes so i try not to critcise the other guy's choices.
"And my only friend, from start to end, was a punishing army Colt."

Rambo1
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Rambo1 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:24 pm

Gunnera4,

When is a gun needed? It is needed in a dire emergency - such as the riots or caste mayhem or terrorist attacks that afflict India. I would dare say that guns are even more needed in India than in the US. If and when gun rights come to be viewed as a fundamental right in India (hopefully with this forum starting something), then different guns will become available to the consumer. It is only a matter of time ... I still remember the time when we had to get license to own a radio in India. Does that still happen in India? No. Fortunately, there has been progress in some areas. Today, the Taurus might be available in India, but who is to say that the Glock might not be available tomorrow or next week or next month? My goal is to bring attention to the relative merits of the two guns, and not to sell a Glock to anybody. I posted a lot about the facts to do with construction, reliablity etc. Is that wrong? Did my facts hurt somebody's feelings? [Edited- out of context ]

weapon247
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by weapon247 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:00 pm

\wow,

\am pleasently surprised by all the comments that my post has resulted in...

thanks you \sir rambo, ngrewal and gunner...

@rambo .. i dont have a sentimental attachement with taurus like you have with glock :lol:

My point regarding price you misunderstood ... in US the price diff maybe a few hundred dollars but in Pkaistan the difference is over 4 times!!

we civvies dont need a lot of firepower and heck if you do then you have the wrong weapon to start off with.. for one thing if you are faced with multiple adverseries i will grab my rifle and not my pistol..

Ngrewal rightly said that TT is the best selling here in Pakistan casue!! the gun and ammo is cheap and i have never seen an original TT (not the clones) having any problems like FTF,FTE

as I said Taurus is Taurs and a Glock is a Glock

... no complains I have fired both and am satisfied with both!!

I would rather as ngrewal said buy some decent ammo and a nice gun and practice..the key is practice!!

we have even cheaper options in the form of chinese weapons... solidly built like tanks (very very hard steel) but very rough on the final finish

I chose Taurus because of the finish , capacity and not on the price .. had I done that I would have been totting a cheap sig/other TTchinese clone!!

Again appreciate you all for the valuable comments...

-- Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:34 pm --

for terrorist I rather choose a
FULL AUTO AK over a GLOCK!!
ROTFL

sorry for the comment rambo ...dont mean to be impolite.. just had to get it off my chest after re-reading your comment about roits/terror in india :lol:

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:35 am

Rambo1

I am not sure when Licenses for Radio's were ever required.unless its the HAM radio in India.
I think you confused the countries weapon 247 is in Pakistan which has way better gun choices and rules. Unlike in India where no imports are allowed and Taurus is very hard to come buy and if there is one in the market its used with rediclous price tag.
Rest gunnera4 and weapon covered the points..

Glocks G17 are issued and used by many state police officers, defense forces especially special forces. Typical side weapon is IOF made HP 35 Browning clone or a Glock depending upon officers/jawans rank and unit.
Furthermore, in India 9mm, .45 are prohibted bores and civvies are not issued any permits unless the gun is inherited or special cases. Civilians best option in terms or availability and ammo cost are .22 LR and .32. 380 ACP ammo can be found but is expensive. Conduct some research on this board and you can better understand the ground realities..

Rest as gunnera4 said " i learned long ago that there is no one perfect gun for all needs and purposes so i try not to critcise the other guy's choices." my pistol is .22 Browning Buckmark 8)
Best

gunnera4
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by gunnera4 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:20 am

weapon247,
i've got to agree with you, for terrorists there's nothing like an kalashnikov, or any good full auto weapon, with a well trained operator. even a sten gun if that's all that is available. though my preference, at least out to 50 yards/metres would be the thompson m1928a1. no "spray and pray" put the butt to your shoulder and fire short aimed bursts, 3 to 5 rounds for effective use of your ammo, which may be limited, when the fight starts all you will have is what you are carrying and little chance of resupply so every bullet must count. on a smaller scale a possibility i had to consider every day when working as an armoured truck guard, a surprise robbery attempt, thankfully it never happened to my truck. i carried a SIG p220 with 7 rounds in the magazine, one in the chamber, and 3 extra loaded magazines on my belt. basically this type of robbery would involve only between one to three men and if they did not achieve complete surprise, and the guard started shooting they would break off and flee within a minute or less, while a terrorist will be more determined to continue his attack even after the police arrive.
in fact the police may even be his most desired target, and shooting at civilians only a ploy to draw the police into the fight.

weapon247
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by weapon247 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:59 pm

Glad we agreed on the terrorist issue and yes the scenario you played is quite exactly what one would expect in a normal situation...

you wouldnt find a thompson in my part of the woods and even if you do (some folks have them ) the ammo is terribly expensive and hard to come by!! an FA AK is what I would prefer if I am in such a situation!!!

gunnera4
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by gunnera4 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:35 pm

weapon247 wrote:Glad we agreed on the terrorist issue and yes the scenario you played is quite exactly what one would expect in a normal situation...

you wouldnt find a thompson in my part of the woods and even if you do (some folks have them ) the ammo is terribly expensive and hard to come by!! an FA AK is what I would prefer if I am in such a situation!!!
true that, while i would choose a thompson, if given a choice, you fight with what you have when an attack happens. the gun you have with you is far better than one left at home, or locked up at an armory. for many years our police here in the u.s. went on patrol with only a revolver, usually a .38 special, but over the last 20 years or so with increasing crime and more armed criminals they began carrying shotguns in patrol cars, now they've begun carrying "patrol rifles", usually semi-automatic ar-15s like my daughter's rifle while "special reaction teams" are using sniper rifles and submachine guns, usually hk mp5s. (my daughter is not a police officer, her ar-15 is her personal rifle, for target shooting, she also owns a 9mm colt "government model" and a 9mm ruger p85.) the ordinary, law abiding civilian, if they choose to carry a gun will be carrying a pistol or revolver, usually concealed, though a few states, like mine, allow open carry. rifles and shotguns are kept for hunting and target shooting.
"gunner"

weapon247
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by weapon247 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:38 pm

on a separate note HK MP5 is extensively used by LEA and army in CQB/close quarters ...its also making its way in the civilian market though not that common!!

weapon247
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by weapon247 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:29 am

wow so many views and not even bothered to post a comment like congrats buddy you have a nice piece!! LOL :D or :cpix:

weapon247
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by weapon247 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:57 pm

Bump Bump!! am I beating a :deadhorse: here!! LOL

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:01 pm

weapon247 wrote:wow so many views and not even bothered to post a comment like congrats buddy you have a nice piece!! LOL :D or :cpix:

I missed this post somehow! :oops: Congratulations,my friend, on this very nice pistol. Looks great.Care to post a range report/review for us?That will be great.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."