WJ Jeffery

Posts related to rifles.
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

WJ Jeffery

Post by eljefe » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:01 pm

HI All,
I had applied to M/s WJ Jeffery in Jan 2007 for records of my rifle and as promised , they delivered in July.
They usually collect all requests and despatch record copies twice a year. I think July and Dec.
Those of you who own Jeffery rifles/guns, here's a nice way to get the history of your fav gun...Mine's a plain jane , as you can see-but what an awesome plain jane!

Best
Axx

''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:02 pm

Nice :) Look forward to you transferring your rifle license to NOIDA - so that the rest of us can get our paws on this beauty! ;)

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

shahid

Post by shahid » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:11 pm

What calibre is your Jeffery rifle ? Is it a 450/400 double ?

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: WJ Jeffery

Post by Risala » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:23 pm

Asif,

Wow thats some serious history there,better frame it.

Is the beauty currently in B'lore,would like to check it out at the end of the month if possible.

Do you have ammo for it.AFAIK ammo for this is now available in the US,perhaps a dealer could import some for you and other 450/400 owners.

I know another owner who might be intrested.

Cheers

Sanjay

shahid

Post by shahid » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:28 pm

Quite a few rimmed cartridges are available these days.

Eley Kynoch wrote to me that their official importer for India are M/s. Ilahi Baksh gun stores of Moradabad, UP, India.

There might be other importers, perhaps Tahir Arms of Md. ALi Road, Bombay.

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:39 pm

Jefe,
That's an interesting piece of history.Sold in 1903..that makes it 104 years old.Didn't they have records about the buyer?

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

shahid

Post by shahid » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:51 pm

Notice the last column - To whom sold. Records of original buyer would be there.

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:38 am

Hi,

Just wanted to know how much would they charge us to locate the details of my Rifle?

AC

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:40 pm

shahid";p="24450 wrote:Notice the last column - To whom sold. Records of original buyer would be there.
The last column's empty.
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:10 pm

Hi Pran,

U could always send your name as the present owner with a message that its better late than never.....

AC

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:56 am

AC,
no charges.
Rifle is 450/400J, takes the tropical load of 55gr cordite and 400gr bullet

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

shahid

Post by shahid » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:06 pm

Jeffery 450/400 was a rifle that has downed many a Tiger in India from 1920s to 1970s.

THis and the 500 Express were the most preferred Weaapons for most Indian shooters in our parts, with the ocassional .470 NE also present with a few shooters.

AN ocassional .600 NE might also crop up somewhere in Bihar. But not many.

Greylag
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Greylag » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:53 pm

eljefe wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:01 pm
HI All,
I had applied to M/s WJ Jeffery in Jan 2007 for records of my rifle and as promised , they delivered in July.
They usually collect all requests and despatch record copies twice a year. I think July and Dec.
Those of you who own Jeffery rifles/guns, here's a nice way to get the history of your fav gun...Mine's a plain jane , as you can see-but what an awesome plain jane!

Best
Axx

Hi, many thanks for the info. Would you have an email address I could contact Jeffery & co? I’m also looking for history on my Jeffery Double but I’m in the UK! Thanks

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:30 am

Greylag wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:53 pm
eljefe wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:01 pm
HI All,

Best
Axx

Hi, many thanks for the info. Would you have an email address I could contact Jeffery & co? I’m also looking for history on my Jeffery Double but I’m in the UK! Thanks

Hi Greylag
Lots of water under the bridge. I’ve shifted homes, continents !

I remember that the records of WJ Roberts were bought up by a Texas collector, don’t have recall just now.
I used my google-fu and found this

http://www.jroberts-gunmakers.co.uk/about.htm

HTH.
Cheers