Is importing remington 700 possible in india ?

Posts related to rifles.
lakecity_shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Is importing remington 700 possible in india ?

Post by lakecity_shooter » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:55 pm

I am soon getting a .22 caliber rifle licence...i just wanna know that is it possible to import remington 700 rifle to india ?
"Defeat is a choice so as victory,You are never beaten till u decide"

For Advertising mail webmaster
Priyan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Is importing remington 700 possible in india ?

Post by Priyan » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:03 pm

Importation is only allowed for renowned shots, Babus and politicians, we normal people don't have the right to import firearms. BTW I don't think Remington 700 bolt action rifles are chambered in .22lr, I might be wrong though. In summery you can import one, if you are some kind of people who signs autograph and have a permit for .308 Winchester or 30-06 rifle(AFAIK those are the commonly available ammo here in India which Remington 700 is chambered for) you can import one.
Good luck with your .22 caliber permit. Hope you enjoy pumping lead into targets :)
When I'll get to shoot a gun?

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:28 pm

i just wanna know that is it possible to import remington 700 rifle to india ?
Yes it is possible, if you are willing to do any one of the following:

a) Get an import license for the firearm to be imported(almost next to impossible for "ordinary" citizens)
b) Become a renowned shot and get a recommendation from the Ministry of Sports
c) File a writ petition in High Court or Supreme Court, to successfully challenge the constitutional validity and legal validity of the placing of firearms in the restricted list of import policy, to compel the arms license holders to get another import license.

If you are not willing to do anything out of the above three, then just forget the idea of importing any firearm, even though you have a firearm license.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:50 pm

Lakecity_shooter,
You certainly cannot import any rifle/shotgun/handgun unless you are declared a renowned shot in that particular category.
To be fair to the Indian Government, I have yet to hear of any politician or a famous personality to have imported any kind of fire arm into the country without him/her being a renown shooter. The President I guess may be an exception by way of protocol if he/she receives it from some country as a token of goodwill. And then a renowned shooter too would generally go for more precision kind of rifle like Tenner, Grunning or Steyr Mannlicher then to go for an off the shelf kinds like this REMINGTON model 700.
I am certain you'd find the rifle you are seeking within India itself if you have that kind of budget for it and that too after you manage to convert your fire arm license permission from .22 to a center fire N.P. bore rifle.
Best of luck,

Marksman
Exercise in Logic:
Given that there are far more good guys than bad guys, what would happen if all good guys and all bad guys were armed???......Simple, isn't it ?---Jeff Cooper

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
be any India because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
women and breed a hardier race!"

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:47 pm

goodboy_mentor wrote:
i just wanna know that is it possible to import remington 700 rifle to india ?
Yes it is possible, if you are willing to do any one of the following:

a) Get an import license for the firearm to be imported(almost next to impossible for "ordinary" citizens)
b) Become a renowned shot and get a recommendation from the Ministry of Sports
c) File a writ petition in High Court or Supreme Court, to successfully challenge the constitutional validity and legal validity of the placing of firearms in the restricted list of import policy, to compel the arms license holders to get another import license.

If you are not willing to do anything out of the above three, then just forget the idea of importing any firearm, even though you have a firearm license.
You cant get it even if you do any or all of the above. The reason is that remington 700 isnt a rimfire model.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:56 pm

Very true, even if he is successful in any of the three options, he cannot import Remington 700 if he has license for .22 lr. But if he is determined on pursuing his dream to its logical conclusion, then getting an arms license for NPB rifle is a minuscule matter in comparison to pursuing any of one of the three options.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:50 am

The quality of the Rem 700 has dropped to dismal levels over the last few years. Even if you could get it, it would not advisable.

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:18 am

MoA wrote:The quality of the Rem 700 has dropped to dismal levels over the last few years. Even if you could get it, it would not advisable.

i don't think so MoA, i bought a new Remington 700 in 223rem about 3 month back and i dont find any problum with that ,i like to know what make you think that? i have a under half inch. group at 100 yards with 5 round of course my own reloard ammo.

Baljit

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:16 am

Get the Remington Action and rebarrel the chamber to .22lr if you are dying for it / but finding any gunsmith is same thing. Plan some thing else

Your options are so none to nothing - Haji
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:55 am

Baljit: Reports of cracked bolts here in EU. Additionally poor accuracy etc.

Hammerhead: You cant just take a rem action and slap on a .22lr barrel. The rem action is centerfire to begin with. The bolt face for .22lr is very different from those for centerfire weapons.

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:01 pm

Best is to get a .22lr IOF made rifle. They aren't all that bad. A little bit of time spent on tuning it and it would be a sweet shooter.
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

PRITAM PATEL
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by PRITAM PATEL » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:02 pm

Katana wrote:Best is to get a .22lr IOF made rifle. They aren't all that bad. A little bit of time spent on tuning it and it would be a sweet shooter.
:agree:

Katana is absolute right considering the prevailing situation in INDIA.

My IOF .22 is shooting 1 & 1/2 " 5 shot group at 50 Yds. with Iron sights.

I think it the best spent 35K and some tuneup job.

I am not in favor of paying ridiculous price for 30 year old import

Regards

Pritam
"Men like us don't deserve to die in the bed, field would be a batter option"

Optional : Proper inglish n gramer

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:40 pm

Hammerhead wrote:Get the Remington Action and rebarrel the chamber to .22lr if you are dying for it / but finding any gunsmith is same thing. Plan some thing else

Your options are so none to nothing - Haji
Hammerhead
You can't do that with Remington 700 , :agree: with MoA on this

MoA

May be Remington have a problum in EU but not here in North America , here police sniper useing Remington 700 and army as well in 7.62x51 or 308 win.

Baljit

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:42 pm

remington 700, winchester 70 and savage 110 rock.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:58 am

MoA wrote:Baljit: Reports of cracked bolts here in EU. Additionally poor accuracy etc.

Hammerhead: You cant just take a rem action and slap on a .22lr barrel. The rem action is center fire to begin with. The bolt face for .22lr is very different from those for centerfire weapons.
Thanks - I could extend my preaching but op's question is too vague and it be better and cheaper for him to leave the country than importing a gun and I would gift him my Remington - Haji :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke