My New Long Range Precision Toy

Posts related to rifles.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: My New Long Range Precision Toy

Post by xl_target » Mon May 07, 2012 8:31 am

Guy's here is the picture of the last three rounds at the target .i measured it and i got 1.728" so 1.728-308=1.420" mean over 1/4 MOA and well under 1/2 MOA at 500 yards.
Baljit, you are being too modest.
If that was paper, the group size would have been considerably smaller as you wouldn't have had those big craters. While imperfect, have you tried to measure the center to center distance of those craters? You would of course not subtract the .308 in that case. Or you could try the "On Target" Software, it is free to use.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
drifter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by drifter » Mon May 07, 2012 1:05 pm

Baljit,

Brilliant report, I am sure it is difficult. I found it so damn hard to get a bulls eye at 100 yards in a 30-06 with ideal conditions.

Xl_target,

You are modest, I am sure you can get good results at 500 yards. Give it a shot lets see what happens.

Regards,
drifter.

amitkj
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by amitkj » Mon May 07, 2012 3:03 pm

Kyon Canada baiTh ke idhar India mein rehnewale Gun lovers ki dil jala rahe ho bhai...... And here in our country some so-called Animal lovers are filing petition to include air guns under Arms act for making it a licensed arm :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

More surprising.... rather disgusting thing is our stupid system has given its decision in favor of the petition.

BTW... lets not discus this anymore to spoil this discussion about ur new toy. It's really amazing, :cheers: how much did u spend to own this beauty.

AMIT

****Edited - please watch your language in future - Moderator****

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Tue May 08, 2012 6:39 am

prashantsingh wrote:From now on I shall call you Baljeet "Sniper" Pabla.
Amazing stuff. Lovely report.
:cheers:

Prashant , Thank you very much for your feedback also giving me other nick name " Sniper " , i am still working on my skills may be one day for sure. ha ha ha ROTFL
You know, XL all ready said " you should join the sniper school" i think i have to think about this. :cheers:

ramtiger, Thank you very much .

XL, No i did not measure center to center yet but i'll do it tomorrow and i will post the other picture with new measurements for you guy's.This is just giving you guy's idea about what's MOA at 500 yards. :lol:
Yes indeed if it's on the paper for sure group size considerably smaller.Thank's for the link for sure i'll try this but if you are useing this software can you measure this for me?

drifter and amitkj , Thank you very much.

Baljit

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Wed May 09, 2012 3:13 am

XL, i tried to measure center to center today , this is measurements i got from center to center.

Baljit

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu May 10, 2012 11:44 pm

Excellent Baljit!

I tried to use the On-Target software but my free version has expired. They only allow a 15 day trial period apparently.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Fri May 11, 2012 12:10 am

Wow! That's fantastic Baljit! :shock:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Fri May 11, 2012 8:05 pm

XL, CK

Thank's guy's

Baljit

rahulbdelhi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by rahulbdelhi » Fri May 11, 2012 9:55 pm

WOW........................... :D

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Fri May 11, 2012 10:42 pm

Baljit,
You are an inspiration.
I am not all that well acquainted with reloaing and handloading, so forgive a few questions which might seem atupid:
1.what pressures are you developing in your hand loads? I am sure you have used a chrono as well. Mind sharing your handload mv?
2. What is the standard barrel life with factory ammo?
3. What barrel life are you expecting with your hot loads?
4. How do you correct for wind? Do you take a shot and then give windage correction or do you read the wind and apply correction before taking the first shot? I did not notice any wind flags setup for your firing so am intrigued if mother nature serves well?
5. Similarly what about temperature, pressure and humiity?
6. Are triggers with such light trigger pulls allowed in competitions there?
I will restrict myself to these for the moment.
:)
In anticipation,
A
To Excellence through Diligence.

Priyan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Priyan » Fri May 11, 2012 11:01 pm

God damn! I'm gonna see this rifle in my dream tonight.
Congrats on your purchase and nice report :cheers:
I too would like to know the barrel life, I had a friend who built a rifle chambered in his .338 wildcat, he got quarter MOA at 500 yards but the barrel worn out just after 100 shots.
When I'll get to shoot a gun?

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Sun May 13, 2012 12:10 am

Safarigent wrote:Baljit,
You are an inspiration.
I am not all that well acquainted with reloaing and handloading, so forgive a few questions which might seem atupid:
1.what pressures are you developing in your hand loads? I am sure you have used a chrono as well. Mind sharing your handload mv?
2. What is the standard barrel life with factory ammo?
3. What barrel life are you expecting with your hot loads?
4. How do you correct for wind? Do you take a shot and then give windage correction or do you read the wind and apply correction before taking the first shot? I did not notice any wind flags setup for your firing so am intrigued if mother nature serves well?
5. Similarly what about temperature, pressure and humiity?
6. Are triggers with such light trigger pulls allowed in competitions there?
I will restrict myself to these for the moment.
:)
In anticipation,
A

Safarigent
Thank you very much for your comment.No i don't mind for your these questions at all but Please check your PM as well.

1. yes i did chrono my hot load it's gives me around 3250 FPS, 4251FT/LBS Energy, at 500 yards i still have a around 2200FT/LBS Energy.
2. Standard barrel life with factory ammo i think 2500 to 3000 rounds.
3. with my hot load i am going to be very lucky if i get 2000 round out of this barrel. ( i all ready place my order for other set of barrel )
4. mother nature serves really well because i do not have any wind at all also i download ballistics calculator in to my iphone and i feed all the data in to that calculator,once i did that the calculate make all correction for me .After i make all the adjustment then i take the first shot but after first shot i still make a small adjustment ( just one click on the scope )for the second shot but last three shots are at the same place.
5. Temperature is +5, Altitude 3500 feet,sunny and cloudy day mix on the mountains. as you can see in the pictures we still have a snow on the mountains.
6. Yes i tune that trigger as well when i got this toy it's come with 4lb trigger pull but after i tune that trigger it's only 1/2 lb ( 8oz ) tigger pull .

Baljit

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Sun May 13, 2012 12:24 am

Thanks for your answers.
3250 fps.
Thats a bit more than 2.5 mach at your altitude and temperature.
You should be able to keep that bullet supersonic(i.e. accurate) for far longer than a thousand yards in that case.
How far are you planning on shooting with this gun?
To Excellence through Diligence.

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Sun May 13, 2012 12:47 am

Safarigent wrote:Thanks for your answers.
3250 fps.
Thats a bit more than 2.5 mach at your altitude and temperature.
You should be able to keep that bullet supersonic(i.e. accurate) for far longer than a thousand yards in that case.
How far are you planning on shooting with this gun?

yes i can shots this load longer then 1000 yards but my main gole is 1000 yards with good group.in next few of month i have plane to take some shooting lessons from 2011 Canadian Champion in F class for 1000 yards, i am still working on this let's see what happend .hope for the best.

Baljit

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Sun May 13, 2012 1:03 am

Priyan wrote:God damn! I'm gonna see this rifle in my dream tonight.
Congrats on your purchase and nice report :cheers:
I too would like to know the barrel life, I had a friend who built a rifle chambered in his .338 wildcat, he got quarter MOA at 500 yards but the barrel worn out just after 100 shots.

Thank's for your comment, i have some questions for you if you dont mind Please ans. these questions

1. where is your friend lives
2. are you sure it's 338 wildcat because i never heard this caliber, i know there is 30/338 wildcat and 338/06 wildcat.
3. i like to see the picture of his shooting at 500 yards with 1/4 MOA if it's possible or if you don't mind give me his all the info. like his phone number or email so i can contect with him may be i can picks some tips from him.
3. how the barrel worn out after 100 shots ? as you said he built a rifle chambered, it's mean he is gunsmith, if he is a gunsmith then he should know what he is doing.

Baljit