IOF 30-06 Rifle

Posts related to rifles.
z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: IOF 30-06 Rifle

Post by z375 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:41 am

Fowad wrote:Secondly if I purchase the rifle I would have to refinish it (blueing, re stocking in good quality walnut. etc)
It can be done, bluing is not such a big deal, but re-stocking should be done by a competent gunsmith/re-stocker, as far as I've seen there are folks who can work wonders with wood and some with metal, but the guys who can excel at both are few and far between.
I want tp put a acope on it also, can anybody who have seen the rifle suggest which mounts and scope will be best suited as I am in Dubai and can manage to carry mounts and scope and have not seen the rifle myself, but will be visiting india in May.
You would need bases and rings for the Sauer 202, the advantage with this rifle is that you can mount the scope on the lowest possible rings (provided you use a low-power 1.5-5x20 or similar scope with no objective bell) without having to worry about bolt-lift and operation of the safety.
"With solid bullets on heavy animals such as elephant, rhino and buffalo this power is quite apparent but is not so obvious as when soft-nose bullets are being used, say, lion, particularly when is a case of stopping a charge : the .404 will stop him all right, but will seldom crumple him quite so completely as will the .416" -- John Taylor, Big Game and Big Game Rifles, (Ch. IX)

For Advertising mail webmaster
Fowad
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Fowad » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:31 pm

thanks for the info bro.
I have bought the mounts for the sauer 202, fixed dual dovetail as well as the leupold quick release along with the new scope which arrived recently here in dxb which is vlx with 3-9 x 52. hope the mounts fit the rifle.

As I fear there may be some minor differences in the scale and finishing of the rifle. well lets see!

I somehow managed to buy a half finished stock made of walnut with 24 lines an inch checkering, earlier but it is made for the normal 1 piece stocked rifle not for the 2 piece stock kind but i think we can cut it into 2 and reuse it also. I found it in a small outlet in the recent exibition held in abu dhabi, the ADIHEX.

I wanted to buy a scope as you suggested but i thought it may be for a heavier caliber(1.5-5x)

so i went for the new leupold.

-- Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:12 pm --

Thanks indeed friends for the info and after reaching India I will be in touch for your suggestions as I will proceed in converting my .30-06 IOF to a customised "Pari"(angel), which any indian maharaja earlier may have suggested as her name.

Friends 1 question which I should not post here:
Can we bring .22 caliber no2 air rifle to India?

z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by z375 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:58 am

vlx with 3-9 x 52. hope the mounts fit the rifle.
This better be a typo!! Do you actually mean 32mm and not 52?? Because with a 52mm objective!! i hope they (rings+scope) do too!! :shock: make sure you have rings of the appropriate height to accomodate 50+mm glass.
I somehow managed to buy a half finished stock made of walnut with 24 lines an inch checkering, earlier but it is made for the normal 1 piece stocked rifle not for the 2 piece stock kind but i think we can cut it into 2 and reuse it also. I found it in a small outlet in the recent exibition held in abu dhabi, the ADIHEX.
You're asking for trouble at Customs when you land with that. Besides, the unfinished stock you've bought might not fit the IOF .30 and is probably semi-inletted for a Mauser/Winchester/Remington or similar bolt-action, getting a stock made here in walnut would be a better option, also bear in mind that the Sauer 202's have a unique bedding system wherein the stock attached to the barrel by means of a long threaded screw in the forend keeping the barrel forward of the receiver free-floating.
wanted to buy a scope as you suggested but i thought it may be for a heavier caliber(1.5-5x)
there's no such rule of thumb for a 1.5-5x20, I have one on both the .375 H&H and the .30-06, they hold up well. In the end its just a matter of preference. I personally don't see the need for anything bigger than 4x.
"With solid bullets on heavy animals such as elephant, rhino and buffalo this power is quite apparent but is not so obvious as when soft-nose bullets are being used, say, lion, particularly when is a case of stopping a charge : the .404 will stop him all right, but will seldom crumple him quite so completely as will the .416" -- John Taylor, Big Game and Big Game Rifles, (Ch. IX)

Fowad
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Fowad » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:27 am

the new vlx scope by leupold is having small round cut on the front bell to fit right over the barrel. Sir you have to see the website of leupold as I cant explain in words. But when you will see it you will love it definately, its a new innovation from leupolds. I also prefer 4x scope as I have it on my .22 Marlin glenfield model 25.
But later I mounted a 3-9x32 ultrlight on it but still I use it at 4x mag.

Do you suggest to remove the iron sighting from the .30-06 rifle as I dont like those ones as they are very Raw kind of...

about the stock:
is it not allowed to bring Walnut?
Why will it be trouble as I am not carrying a rifle. As i told you it is semi finished and it can be cut into 2 pieces for fitting it to the IOF. Actually I have never seen the IOf .30 and I bought this stock much before. lets see if it will not be feasible I will keep the stock as it is. Do you know any place in India where I can find some good walnut Blank?

Sir about the no2 airgun, please advice!

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:29 pm

Wanted to buy IOF 30-06.Have recently got addition in my license for NPB rifle.Does anyone know when it will be available in the market.

jaz
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by jaz » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:35 pm

Hi, is that true IOF is increasing production of 30 06 next year and rifel will be avaliable cheap @75000Rs.
Dealers in punjab are selling at 1.25 to 1.3 Lac I am not clear how much they are looting ,but its costly .

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:57 pm

Heard that IOF is converting the rifle to 5 shot from 3 shot. Does anyone have any information on that?

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:01 pm

Vineet wrote:Heard that IOF is converting the rifle to 5 shot from 3 shot. Does anyone have any information on that?
.. I believe it was a 3 shot in the first place.
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:06 am

I meant earlier it was 3 shot now they are converting it to 5 shot.
Converting from 3 shot to 5 shot or converting to 5 shot from 3 shot is one and the same thing.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:00 pm

Vineet wrote:I meant earlier it was 3 shot now they are converting it to 5 shot.
Converting from 3 shot to 5 shot or converting to 5 shot from 3 shot is one and the same thing.
I beg to differ...

err...3 to 5 is addition of 2...5 to 3 is subtraction of 2.... can hardly see the sameness in the equation. Unless you can disprove some very well established and basic mathematical operations....

of course one would naturally assume you meant no difference in the rifle either mechanical or ergonomic.

No offense intended though, vineet....before it goes OT.

:)

regards,
cc
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:31 pm

Yikes CC i had bleeped over the two thinking..."same difference"...but now I stand stunned by the revelation...go ahead open your best scotch and have two shots on me...I'll do the same out here with some ghoda rum.

Dev :cheers:
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:45 pm

dev wrote:Yikes CC i had bleeped over the two thinking..."same difference"...but now I stand stunned by the revelation...go ahead open your best scotch and have two shots on me...I'll do the same out here with some ghoda rum.

Dev :cheers:
:mrgreen:

lazybones
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by lazybones » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:57 pm

Maybe what Vineet means is that be it three, or five, in mag the damned thing is going to jam anyway :mrgreen:
Same difference. "We are like this only" :D

Ashok

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:40 pm

cottage cheese: "5 to 3 is subtraction of 2" In my post nowhere have I written "5 to 3" as you have mentioned.What I have written is "to 5 from 3".When you convert anything to 5 from 3 definitely you are increasing it and not decreasing.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:56 pm

Vineet wrote:cottage cheese: "5 to 3 is subtraction of 2" In my post nowhere have I written "5 to 3" as you have mentioned.What I have written is "to 5 from 3".When you convert anything to 5 from 3 definitely you are increasing it and not decreasing.
This is going completely OT... but I do believe that Vineet has you there CottageC! ;)

To be honest, I too had to read it twice to figure out this one... getting daft, we are... :lol:

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein