IOF 30-06 Rifle

Posts related to rifles.
Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Re: IOF 30-06 Rifle

Post by Katana » Sat May 11, 2013 2:08 pm

Despite this being a fairly decent firearm, all we can do it arrive at conjectures!

Sad...
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Sat May 11, 2013 2:59 pm

I am sure this will light a fire under a few tails, but people sould ideally think and research before they come and start typing away.
To Excellence through Diligence.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue May 21, 2013 3:54 pm

hks2056 wrote:The Ishapore factory uses special alloy steel manufactured by SAIL for making rifle barrels.The same steel is used for INSAs and 7.62 SLR. The hammerforging machine is AUSTRIAN brand STEYR.It spews out one barrel every two minutes.Feeding of barrel blanks is automatic into the cold forging machine.Considerable effort goes into production of blanks before they are fed into machine.Steyr hammer forging machines are used by all armaments factories the world over including the Chinese who are the most notorious copycats and acknowledged most accomplished experts in reverse engineering.I asked the Director rank officer who was incharge of rifle section at Ishapore two questions.First was if they supply spare barrel with the INSAS rifle to Services. The answer was no.The second question was if they have received back any INSAS rifle for replacement of any worn out rifle barrel. The answer was again no. After chrome flashing the barrel becomes virtually in destructible. He reckoned that the barrel would retain tight grouping upto firing of one lakh cartridges. Interestingly ISHAPORE produces its own carbide dies for the forging machine at one third the cost of imported carbide dies. The carbide die is about seven inches long including the chamber portion.The material used for barrel and bolt is the best.It should be remembered that all metal components manufactured inside the factory are from the best raw material. Quality of out sourced parts of weapons is suspect.The reasons of below par quality of outsourced components if any is all too well known to every one and need not be spelled out in this forum.From newspaper advertisements one can know which components are out sourced.The weakest and poorest part of 30-06 rifle is the alloy body which is die cast and not made in house.The bolt and barrel are of best material. Just like a car the rifle is a sum total of all its components.The package has to be seen in totality and reckoning can not be done merely on bolt and barrel. Surprisingly the buffing and polishing of individual components is not done before the rifle is assembled. Thus the action and trigger are not slick enough.Fit and finish can certainly be improved.Otherwise it is a very satisfying and well engineered product.It will outlast the life of any licence holder even if he or she fires five rounds from it every day (365 X12).

Interesting, thank you.
/S
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Tue May 21, 2013 4:04 pm

I don't believe iof sells this for 92k. Cheap wood as used in packing of cargo. Now that you have banned import of arms, make what you can with a little honesty. A Remington costs 20 k looks, feels and fires terrific
Nothing has shaped the history more than a Gun

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:08 pm

Was copying this for a friend. Thought it might be useful here till the links are valid.

Here are things that one could get for the rifle.

Here is the list of things I got.

Recoil Pad (I got medium which was big- small SHOULD fit)
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/423006 ... dium-black

Mounts (screws will NOT fit. you will have to get 3 mm screws or get the reciever drilled for 4mm screws)
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/617227 ... -202-matte

Rings:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/346104 ... tte-medium

Biren
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Biren » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:29 pm

Has the price of IOF come down? On OF website its listed for Rs.76900/- plus taxes if i remember correctly just few month back it wasRs.91k aprox (plus taxes).If so then i am poorer by few thousand:)

here is link http://ofbindia.gov.in/index.php?wh=Spo ... ms&lang=hi

When OF planning to start production of 30.06 Kartoosh?

Rgds
Biren

chengis gun
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by chengis gun » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:06 pm

folding stock is available for iof 3006 now...

sumit.technocrat
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by sumit.technocrat » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:07 pm

Sorry but for me this does not look good. Half wood, half Synthetic.

Full Synthetic body similar to what is available for .315 rifle should be great.

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:50 pm

Till recently I was using Sellers & Bellot 180 grs soft nose cartridges in my IOF 30 06.
. With a quota of 50 rounds a year every round was precious.Needless to say I wasn't shooting much.
Today my old quota got over and I went to a gun shop for more ammo. The dealer only had some Serbian ammo. 175 gr hard nose priced at 225 bucks a pop.

prashantsingh

Post by prashantsingh » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:55 pm

When I reached home and checked it out. I was shocked to see that the cartridge doesn't fit in.
Went back to the dealer and he checked with the latest model. The result was the same.
Took the cartridge to a friend who has a winchester 3006 and it fitted in perfectly.
Looks like I can only chamber a particular type of cartridge for my rifle or only IOF ammo .

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:37 pm

Parshant you might be having problem because the Serbian ammo (ppu) is inferior in quality when compared to S&B.

The S&B .30-06 ammo is available with gun dealers. Available in Punjab, don't know about other parts of India.
Last edited by Vineet on Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:41 pm

@Prashant,
Does IOF supply these cartridges??
I had a similar problem. I have Sellors & Bellot 180 gr cartridges besides the Siberian made PPU soft nosed 155 gr and 175 gr. The PPU 175 gr were very hard to feed. Besides the 5 round magazine also did not work with 5 rounds loaded, but worked well with 3 rounds loaded.
As the gun is new I presumed that the bolt and magazine was not smooth enough, so I cleaned the bolt and magazine thoroughly, with petrol followed by WD40 and finally oiled it well. Now the magazine works perfectly with 5 rounds but the PPU cartridges require a little bit more pressure to close the bolt properly. Otherwise it performs quite satisfactorily. I have only about 15 PPU rounds remaining that I hope to use up in the next few days.
After that I intend buying only S & B and Winchester cartridges. Or IOF if it is available (since they would be much cheaper, I presume)

Regards

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:03 pm

prashantsingh wrote:When I reached home and checked it out. I was shocked to see that the cartridge doesn't fit in.
Went back to the dealer and he checked with the latest model. The result was the same.
Took the cartridge to a friend who has a winchester 3006 and it fitted in perfectly.
Looks like I can only chamber a particular type of cartridge for my rifle or only IOF ammo .
Prashant, i have used s&b 180 gr and the winchester 150 gr (?) polymer tips. The s&b is a 'tighter' fit i think. The bolt takes more effort to close- will check when I'm more sober- as aadhulya put it in a thread :wink:

Coming to the point- i got A-Zoom snap caps in 3006 many months ago. The bolt slides in with the snap cap but doesn't close! No idea why.

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:14 am

SS wrote:
Coming to the point- i got A-Zoom snap caps in 3006 many months ago. The bolt slides in with the snap cap but doesn't close! No idea why.

Ok Guy's

With my experience,If you can not close your bolt with different ammo or sanp caps, then it mean action is very tight and not have a enough tolerance in the action to accept other ammo or snap cap.
I know this is sounds like silly but we have to accept this.

Baljit

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:19 am

Vineet wrote:Parshant you might be having problem because the Serbian ammo (ppu) is inferior in quality when compared to S&B.
There was a time when PPU ammo was of variable, often poor, quality. However, today's PPU quality is high, their cartridge cases are preferred by the Vienna proof house for proof testing, being superior in strength even to the previously preferred RWS cases. On the other hand, S&B brass is poor and short-lived when reloaded (not a problem in India). The problem is most likely with the chamber dimensions of the IOF rifle, not the cartridges. IOF probably has re-ground their chamber reamer one time to many, and it no longer produces a chamber that is up to specs. But we will never know without gauges for chamber and cartridge.