IOF 30-06 Rifle

Posts related to rifles.
eternalme
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by eternalme » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:09 pm

Z375, many thanks for this in-depth review, highly appreciated.
You are top shot !!
ll====lll lll====ll
lll Subs lll

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Re: IOF 30-06 Rifle

Post by penpusher » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:17 pm

z375,

Nice detailed write up.The bad news is that the price still hovers around 1.15 lakhs.Still cheaper than a certain air rifle on sale here :wink: :lol: The price might drop but not dramatically, unless the factory ramps up production.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:33 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="65511 wrote: The Mauser has one major drawback - I cannot use it as a project rifle. :mrgreen:
I hate the mollycoddling that these sort of guns require.

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:26 am

Thank you z375 , it is indeed a very useful review.

best,

RP.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:46 am

Thanks Z375 for the detailed write up and looking forward to pictures.

Best

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:17 am

z375";p="65534 wrote: anytime Rusty! anytime!! :D
Thanks a ton for that great review, looks like we have something to dream about at last.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by z375 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:23 pm

Hey folks!!

The pleasure's all mine!! Trouble was the damn thing was at a gunshop here and I didn't have more than 15 min to hang around there because the dealer (he's a real skoob!) had to shut for lunch, didn't feel too comfortable asking him if I could take a pic or two either, I'll have the luxury of doing that once my buddy here gets his rifle.

This could turn into a nice "truck-gun" or conversely as a project you'd want to really do up, honestly, apart from the getting the paint off the barrel, staining/re-contouring the super-blonde stock, a glass-bed job and probably the sights if you really want to, there's surprisingly not much you would want to change on it, trigger's great, its scope-ready, not much more I can think of doing to a bolt-gun!! 8) (Rusty's old post on an elaborately-inlaid bolt-action .375 H&H comes to mind!) :D

p.s - I've been brain-storming a design for a nice and simple ghost-ring set-up on the rear base as back-up, considering a front is a post, this would be ideal for a short and handy rig!
"With solid bullets on heavy animals such as elephant, rhino and buffalo this power is quite apparent but is not so obvious as when soft-nose bullets are being used, say, lion, particularly when is a case of stopping a charge : the .404 will stop him all right, but will seldom crumple him quite so completely as will the .416" -- John Taylor, Big Game and Big Game Rifles, (Ch. IX)

z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by z375 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:50 pm

[
I have it on good authority that the IOF contracts out their (sporting rifle) stockmaking work to a "charpoy" manufacturer... and no I'm not kidding! :P

I have no reason to doubt this, Abhijeet! When it comes to the woodwork, the IOF really takes things "lying down".. :wink:
"With solid bullets on heavy animals such as elephant, rhino and buffalo this power is quite apparent but is not so obvious as when soft-nose bullets are being used, say, lion, particularly when is a case of stopping a charge : the .404 will stop him all right, but will seldom crumple him quite so completely as will the .416" -- John Taylor, Big Game and Big Game Rifles, (Ch. IX)

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:54 pm

Hehehe... That's a good one.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:52 pm

hi
any idea which dealers are selling it?(if any) and what the going rate? might get this shooting stick for the backyard.

thanks
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

eternalme
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by eternalme » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:20 pm

Hi,

Has anyone laid a hand on the much touted piece of work (with junk stock) yet ?

I have specifically put 30-06 in my application for arms license in anticipation :-), too optimistic I guess.

Regards
ll====lll lll====ll
lll Subs lll

hks2056
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hks2056 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:19 pm

During financial 2008-2009 IOF Ishapore produced 300 rifles in 30-06 calibre.During 2009-10 financial year , they are going to produce 4000 rifles in 30-06 calibre as per the decision of IOFB as is the general knowledge in arms dealers fraternity. 30-06 rifles are sold only through dealers. There are no direct sales. All prospective buyers, if they are patient enough to wait till march 2010, will be easily able to buy the rifle for rs.75000/-.Four thousand rifles per year is very big quantity for indian rifle market to absorb as most licence holders prefer to buy a handgun.The barrel of the rifle is hammerforged.The receiver is made from solid bar.Same steel is used for action, receiver and barrel.The steel ingot is ordnance grade steel made by SAIL.Thus the material itself is the best and world class. Discerning gun afficiandos may fault the fit and finish of the final product particularly the six locking lugs of the bolt.The locking lugs are hand cut.They are not turned on any CNC machine as is the case with the original STEYR rifle. They are not trued after repeated buffing and polishing as generally done with hand finished product. Infact Ishapore factory does not buff and polish any of its products.They rest content with the machining only insofar as it is the part of original manufacturing of the component itself.The plunger type extractor could have been made wider. It is too narrow for comfort. Hundredpercent positive extraction in all cases seems suspect. Its longevity is doubtful.Extractor would be the first after market spare part for this rifle.

truly
hks2056

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:36 pm

Thanks for the update.
hks2056 wrote:The receiver is made from solid bar.Same steel is used for action, receiver and barrel.The steel ingot is ordnance grade steel made by SAIL.
It must be something new because the one that I saw had an aluminum alloy frame.If this is indeed the case, then it is a good move.
hks2056 wrote: All prospective buyers, if they are patient enough to wait till march 2010, will be easily able to buy the rifle for rs.75000/-.
Now if only they could use walnut,checker it properly and blue the metal in that price. Considering the fact that they are selling it as a rifle for competition use,they would be better off putting on a beefier barrel

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:27 pm

That would be "Sauer", not "STEYER", as hks2056 wrote. But "hand cut locking lugs"? Does not bode well. Cheers.

Fowad
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Fowad » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:41 am

Hi! Friends,
i friends I just now joined the group and I am delighted that there are people in India who think about guns and rifles in an out of the box way...
friends I want to purchase a .30-06 IOF but dealers are asking price of aroud 120,000 rs.
Should I go ahead?
Secondly if I purchase the rifle I would have to refinish it (blueing, re stocking in good quality walnut. etc)

I want tp put a acope on it also, can anybody who have seen the rifle suggest which mounts and scope will be best suited as I am in Dubai and can manage to carry mounts and scope and have not seen the rifle myself, but will be visiting india in May.
Please if any one can post a photo of this rifle so taken that I can see the reciever from the top!