IOF 30-06 Rifle

Posts related to rifles.
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: IOF 30-06 Rifle

Post by mundaire » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:03 pm

Katana wrote:Winnie,

I thought so. Am being offered this 'improved' version for 95K. Was wondering if I should buy it. The so-called 'imports' in .30-06 have ridiculous prices!

Katana
Katana,

Even if you can afford the imports, I'd say buy the IOF - and use the left over money for ammo! :) Not that we don't know that IOF is robbing us blind, but in the current scenario, there aren't too many practical alternatives... :(

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:08 pm

Katana wrote:I thought so. Am being offered this 'improved' version for 95K. Was wondering if I should buy it. The so-called 'imports' in .30-06 have ridiculous prices!

Katana
95K is a very good price.Cheaper than the same rifle for sale here by a good 20,000/-Buy it.

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:16 pm

Guys,

Anyone have any idea if Weaver type mounts would be available for this rifle in India? I have a nice scope to go along with it. 8)

Katana
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:19 am

Weaver bases for the Sauer 202 should fit. The screws that come with the bases may not be what the IOF receiver is tapped for. I think your question has been answered in a previous post in this thread. Cheers.

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:08 pm

These are pictures of the scope base for the IOF .30-06 rifle. It is indeed true that the screws that come with the bases do not fit the 4 provided threads on the gun. The ones that I have screwed on, have been gently filed from all sides and carefully aligned into the screw bore.

The company is Warne and the mounts are for the Sauer 202 in steel.

These are the matching scope mounts which I have not fitted as I am still looking for a good scope for this rifle.

Now I have a question : Should the scope bases be also glued first before screwing them up ? Since I don't trust the quality of the material of the receiver metal, I suspect that over time, the threads might just give up and become loose, which would be a disaster... !

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:26 pm

TwoRivers & Olly,

Thanks! I was aware of the non-allignment of the screw taps/ drills. The question is now how to do it. Nevertheless, I have a friend who is a brain with this kind of stuff. A 'jaano' so to speak. I'm sure he will work something out. In fact, he is currently working on a reducer adapter for my Brno Mod1. Should be ready next week.

BTW, I plan to mount a Bushnell 3-9x40E scope on this rifle.

Regards,
Katana
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:07 pm

Olly,

I noticed the 'butter knife' handle of the bolt is black. Did you have it blued or something or did it come that way? It's definitely better than what I have seen in earlier pics and the rifle itself.

Katana

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:36 pm

That's my doing... :twisted:

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:43 pm

Olly,

Care to tell me how you did it? Just that small piece of work changes the look of the weapon. I always thought the finishing of the bolt handle as something that the IOF guys forgot to do before packing it! :lol:

Katana

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:52 pm

Olly,
Two tricks
1. Skin bed the mounts
2.use loctite or permatex low strength screw glue . DONT glue on the mounts and use the screws. :shock:
Z375 has give a good overview to bedding screw bases

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8800

...and I've JUST finished skin bedding my dednutz mounts for the new 'knock about' stevens 200 AND my digi is busted...bit late now to go about rummaging for the other cam! Sorry
If the threading was off on the rifle, why didnt you have new threads drilled and tapped? thats quite easy...measure the threads on the Warne mounts( thats a good brand you have there) and ask your lathe or Gun wallah to drill and tap the same specs on the rifle.That itself should do.Warne mounts are supposed to be one of the strongest in the Industry-what exactly were the mods done to accommodate the screws?
You better trust the metallurgy of the IOF 30-06 receiver, its your face next to the bolt :mrgreen:
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:50 pm

eljefe,

I was asking Olly how he managed to blue/ powder coat or whatever the bolt handle. Look at it closely. It's beautifully done! Any idea how he has managed it? I guess first he would have to completely disassemble the bolt and then go about it.

Katana

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:24 pm

Katana wrote:eljefe,

I was asking Olly how he managed to blue/ powder coat or whatever the bolt handle. Look at it closely. It's beautifully done! Any idea how he has managed it? I guess first he would have to completely disassemble the bolt and then go about it.

Katana
our man Bobby did a good work on it, i think
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:30 am

OK... first things first.

Bobby has not done anything. The Bolt has simply been painted with 2 coats of automotive black lusture paint (spray can type). Now it tends to wear off, but like a stubborn stud, I spray on it again... 8)
I just tape the 'non-paint' areas and Phhhhssssss from the can does the job. Since the rifle comes painted from the factory, so no big deal to paint on the bolt too...

Now this is the original receiver of the rifle.

The screw holes were already drilled into the receiver. All I did was to measure the exact distance between the 2 sets of holes and compare them to the holes on the Warne scope base for the Sauer 202. They matched... must compliment IOF for this at least... although they fudged up on the threading on the screw bolts...

Now as I mentioned earlier, I had to file the new bolts from all sides to bring it to fit inside the head of the scope base. A little tedious, but can be done if determined... The screw threads match perfectly with these new bolts (not the original ones that came with the Warne bases) used and hence it is a tight and secure fit. Now the question is whether I should glue the bases onto the receiver and then tighten the screw bolts or just let the scope bases be held by the 2 pairs of screw bolts alone !

Doc, I do wish to trust the metallurgy of the receiver, but it is a scary thought... :|

It has lasted us the 12 rounds that we've fired from it so far... !! :P

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:41 am

Olly,

Have you tried disassembling the bolt? If that is possible then there are some amazing guys here in Ahmedabad that could blue, powder coat, oxidize, corborize whatever......Could be a good long lasting option.

Katana

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:52 am

I don't want to bother at the moment for that... the bolt looks good... and that is what matters...

Once when I do give the rifle for a complete make-over to Bobby Siddhu, butt - stock - and barrel (read blueing)... he'll do the needful... !!