3006 FNBrowning or Mauser or IOF

Posts related to rifles.
chengis gun
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: 3006 FNBrowning or Mauser or IOF

Post by chengis gun » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:31 pm

folks, for replacing my cracked gunstock i have 3 immediate choices of wood: 1.Indian Rosewood(Sisoo) 2.Teak 3."Walnut"_i have no idea what variety. Living in a Timber-rich state there are myriads of hardwoods and few softwoods but i have no knowledge of their suitability.My main concerns are a)Durability (i.e cracking/breaking) and b)Weight. Do our knowledgeable members have any suggestions?

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:37 am

Chengis:

Check out these links:

http://www.woodbin.com/ref/wood/teak.htm
http://www.woodbin.com/ref/wood/rosewood_indian.htm

Based on this, it would seem that Rosewood (Dalbergia sissoo) would be a better bet than Teak (Tectona grandis) for several reasons. I think you would want to know the exact kind of Walnut you can get, since European/English (Juglans regis), American/Black (Juglans nigra), and Claro Walnut (Juglans hindsii) all have somewhat different properties, and you may be looking at something someone calls "Walnut," but is not. It seems Ishapore stocked SMLEs and 2A/2A1s with some sort of wood at times, but I don't know what this is. I would make sure of your options before making a choice.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:17 am

Indian rosewood is quite heavy and has a tendency to develop splits. All walnut is suitable, if it actually is walnut, and properly seasoned and selected for grain structure. There are other suitable woods, but without knowing their (scientific) names no recommendation is possible.

chengis gun
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by chengis gun » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:47 pm

Instamount scopebase, Brownells US..assembled and mounted by my elder bro after the local gunsmith gave up and declared it cannot be used with my gun :roll:

Thanks to IFG and the IFG veteran who helped me obtain it.Will test it soon.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:25 pm

Chengis, that's looking good! The SK mount from Brownell's should be a good one. This looks much better than the clamp-on mount that I had.

Regarding the gunsmith, you've had a valuable experience in learning who isn't qualified to work on your guns!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman