Information regarding rifle

Posts related to rifles.
Deepraj patil1616
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Information regarding rifle

Post by Deepraj patil1616 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:14 am

Hello members, my cousin wants to buy this rifle, I am uploading photos. Want you people to guide me about this rifle and also want to know if this rifle can shoot 8×57 rimless cartridges? It is stamped 7.9 on barrel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Information regarding rifle

Post by eljefe » Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:05 pm

Seems a to be a Mauser 7.92x57.
It has interesting factory stamps.
It’s a good cartridge, and if the metal and barrel are fine,will be good to go. 7.92x57 is sometimes called 8x57.
More details are here.
Measure the distance between the guard screws and get a wood sporter stock from Boyd’s in US.

The cartridge is derived from the 7x57 and packs a decent punch. I have a similar mauser, made in Turkey- hence called Turk Mauser, in 1933.
Still does a boring 1-1/2” all day at hundred. I put a Butlers creek synthetic stock and a Redfield 3-9 on it.

About 10 years ago I landed up at a service match without the usual 6.5 x55 swede-only for ‘service calibers’ and on a whim, went upto 600y with it. 8” group with barely handloaded ammo( the night before)

More info here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.92%C3%9757mm_Mauser

GL
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Deepraj patil1616
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Deepraj patil1616 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:10 pm

Should we try shooting 8×57 cartridges...?

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:40 pm

Yup. Modern 8x57 JS - the rifle in the picture is dated 1937 should be safe. the older commission 1888 Mausers were chambered for for the 318” dia projectile , called 7.92 J
However, a gunsmith check to ensure everything is in working order, guard screws tightened to 40 inch /lb torque and no barrel obstruction etc is very essential
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Deepraj patil1616
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Deepraj patil1616 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:50 pm

Ok, thank you.

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:20 pm

This one looks to be a war trophy brought back from Nazi Germany as the proof marks suggest. As eljefe mentioned, have it checked with a competent gunsmith before feeding and shooting the ammo to be safe. It feeds on what is commonly known as 8x57mm Mauser and are available in plenty in India as well. .
Good Luck

Marksman

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:54 am

This rifle looks like a Mauser Oberndorf M98 style rifle made on contract for Portugal -- the receiver crest is that of Portugal. My suspicion is that it wound up in India from Portuguese service in Goa.

It appears to be in very nice shape and may be worth some collector's value, and if the bore is in good shape, it could be a fair shooter, as well.

Let us know how things go -- if your cousin does actually buy the rifle! It looks good to me and if the price is right, it could well be one to grab and hold on to.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman