Winchester Model 67 single-shot rimfire.

Posts related to rifles.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Winchester Model 67 single-shot rimfire.

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:32 pm

A friend's friend has brought one in for some TLC and boy does it need it! :roll:

I have stripped it down completely and taken pics as I went along. So if someone who owns one, doesn't know how to strip it, give me a shout and I will e-mail the pics.

Have finsihed working on all the metal bits and now it's on to the stock. What better way to spend a Sunday after you have packed off the wife, kids and dragon-inlaw to the movies. :mrgreen:

Mack The Knife

P.S.: The bore is really screwed up - pitting, scratches and the very faintest of rifling marks. I wonder if the last bit is normal for this rifle or has it just been shot a hell of a lot?

For Advertising mail webmaster
mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:39 am

Mack The Knife,

If a 22 lr has it's barrel shot out, then it must have been shot a lot indeed. Some rifle club Brno No 1s in India have fired more than 100,000 rounds and still have rifling left in them. I haven't ever seen a WInchester 67 and it would be nice to see pics of your very nice before and after work.

Mehul

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:33 am

mehulkamdar wrote:If a 22 lr has it's barrel shot out, then it must have been shot a lot indeed.
That is what I thought at first. However, I finally had to clean out the bore with CRC Rust Remover. The rifling is a little more noticeable now but the front (muzzle end) 2" to 3" is completely buggered up.

My pet theory at the moment is that whoever reblued the rifle forgot to remove the bluing solution from this part and this lead to corrosion. Some of our 'champions' don't even bother plugging the bore. :roll:

It is very rough in this area and I can feel the pull-through patches snagging at this point. One can also see a lot of fluff where the smoother part of the bore meets the rougher area.

The main problem was accuracy, so after trying it at the range, I will decide whether the barrel needs cutting or not.

If you haven't seen a Winchester 67, you haven't missed much. I'd opt for my IOF .22lr over it any day! :shock:

Mack The Knife

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:27 pm

Do you ever reline barrels?

Additionally, since you might possibly need all the little tricks you can get here is another one for bad muzzles- Instead of cutting the barrel off first, just bore out the muzzle end with a drill bit until you are into clean rifling. I would try a 6mm drill bit. If it does not improve enough for you then you can always cut it off as per your initial thought.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:08 pm

Mark,

Never tried relining a bore. Can't think of any workshop with a deep bore drilling machine or is there something I am missing? Bore liners would also need to be imported and that could prove to be a problem area.

Thanks for the tip. Never thought of doing that but thinking ahead, how would I recown the new 'muzzle'?

Mack The Knife