IOF 315 rifle and cartridge

Posts related to rifles.
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:11 pm

marksman";p="36072 wrote:Will some one please explain then how the .315 IOF cartridge came into being? Did it come from the IOF drawing board or it evolved itself from the worn machinery that was imported for us poor sports persons in India, as is often the practice in our country. I am sure the .22 lr IOF cartridge too is slightly different from .22 lr that exists elsewhere. I have personally compared it with imported ammo and found out. Please think twice before using IOF rounds in foreign made fire arms in .22 lr caliber.
Marksman
Marksman, go through pages 8 through 15 of this thread and most of your queries as to the origin of the IOF .315 should be laid to rest...

Yep, the IOF has serious quality control issues and inconsistent case dimensions is just one of them. IIRC Sanjay was having trouble stacking in IOF made .32 ACP ammo into his Beretta pistol magazine (due to the same reason). But a detailed discussion on the poor quality of IOF ammo is not relevant to this thread, you can start a fresh thread under the ammo & accessories section if you'd like to discuss this topic...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:47 pm

Abhijeet-Re: the plan to slug, cast and mike the 315,(sounds like an LA law firm :lol:) will need a fired cartridge to make a lead slug, as close to the orig specs.HAve enough lead fishing weights otherwise ;)
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:19 pm

eljefe";p="36087 wrote:Abhijeet-Re: the plan to slug, cast and mike the 315,(sounds like an LA law firm :lol:) will need a fired cartridge to make a lead slug, as close to the orig specs.HAve enough lead fishing weights otherwise ;)
You mean you need the empty case? Or the fired slug? BTW, if we are going to be doing this, can we also do a chamber cast of the .30 M1 carbine? I would really like to check the headspace on that...

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:27 pm

Fired case for both.
Plan to drill out base, put in a bolt upto the neck, then use the cartridge neck to cast a lead slug -and use that for the slugging-failing which, its going to be regular fishing lead weights.
for the chamber cast, got some space spinoff dental impression material-promises not to shrink, and have easy release...we'll try it after the traditional sulphur cast though!

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: IOF 315 rifle and cartridge

Post by eljefe » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:41 am

8x50R Mannlicher

the 303 British:

Thats what the 8x50R and 303 look like-about as related as a holland is to a new art light works :shock: .Any 315 iof for a comparison?

specs and pics from :
http://www.municion.org/8mann/8mann.htm

kuduae
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by kuduae » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:23 am

If someone bothers to make a chamber cast of a .315 IOR rifle, here are the minimum chamber dimensions for the 8x50R Mannlicher cartridge, as prescribed by the European proof houses, just for comparision, as measurements taken from an cartridge case may differ in some areas:
Rim thickness: 1.5mm (as Lee action barrels have no recess for the rim, you have to add this to all length measures taken from the chamber cast)
L1 length to shoulder: 40.55 mm
L2 length to neck: 43.87 mm
L3 to end of case chamber: 50.60 mm
L1-L3 including the 1.5mm rim!
P1 base diameter: 12.64 mm
P2 shoulder diam.: 12.22 mm
H1 neck diam. at shoulder: 9.19 mm
H2 neck at end of chamber:9.04 mm
G1 start of throat: 9.04 mm (again, so there may not be a pronounced step)
length of throat: 22.9 mm
Lots of fun in converting and comparing!

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:34 am

i have recently seen a dealers website(india arms).they r selling imported 8/57 ammo as imported .315 ammo.is it safe to use them in IOF .315s

Lawman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Lawman » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:56 pm

Hi Indian, please inform the website address of the dealer (India arms).

Lawman

shahid

Post by shahid » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:56 pm

indian";p="36267 wrote:i have recently seen a dealers website(india arms).they r selling imported 8/57 ammo as imported .315 ammo.is it safe to use them in IOF .315s
Not at all, this is very unsafe indeed.

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:10 am

hi lawman.its www.indiaarms.com ... they are selling 196grain sellior and bellot as imported .315

kuduae
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by kuduae » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:00 am

Stop! That sellier &Bellot 8x57 ammo offered by Indiaarms is the correct ammunition for the Mauser 98k rifle, a longer, rimless case of smaller base diameter and much higher operating pressure, definitely not useable in a .315IOF rifle. See the thread on the Mauser 98k! The only other cartridge that may be used in a .315 IOF rifle is the old 8x50R Mannlicher, but this information is useless, as that cartridge is "out of print" and a collectors item in all the world except India.
Indiaarms follows the old British habit of willi-nilli giving a metric cartidge an inch name after the bore diameter, see the Kynoch page, press the album button below! There are three different, non-interchangeable cartridges on that page, all three called ".315" by Kynoch in 1929. The top one is the item Indiaarms offers, while the middle one is perhaps useable in the IOF rifle.
Likewise, the ".256" they offer is the German 6.5x57 rimless cartridge, not useable in any rifle with the designation .256 on it that may have reached India at the time of the British rule.

shahid

Post by shahid » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:40 am

.256 being offered in India also varies. 6.5 x 57 the most common one, 6.5 x 54 MS and the 6.5 x 55 Swedish, These guys try to sell of any variant as .256, and I am quite suspicious perhaps even some American 6 mm, 6.5 mm or even 7 mm cartridges.

The end result can be disastrous, but in most cases a rifle will never be fired by a Civilian in India, times have changed, so a guy goes home very happy paying US $ 10 a piece for imported cartridges which will supposedly bore a hole through any thief / dacoit that intrudes upon him if ever.

kuduae
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by kuduae » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:03 am

For a photo of several different 8mm/".315" cartridges,click on my Album button below or go to the "1937 Mauser 98k" thread.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:29 am

Thanks Kudu,
I think i can recognise the 303, the 8x50R and the 7.92 mauser.Can i bother you to please post a label for those 8 cartridges?The ones at the extreme right look very old...
Thanks
Axx

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:48 am

eljefe";p="36742 wrote:Thanks Kudu,
I think i can recognise the 303, the 8x50R and the 7.92 mauser.Can i bother you to please post a label for those 8 cartridges?The ones at the extreme right look very old...
Thanks
Axx
He's already given a picture de.scription below the picture:

Left to right:
.303 Mk.VII military for comparision
8x50R Austrian Mannlicher
8x50R French Lebel
8x57 I M88 German Mauser
8x57 S WWII military, Mauser 98k
8x57 S huntinf load withcapped bullet
8x58R Sauer & Sohn hunting
8.15x46R black powder target

Speed reading again - eh? ;) :lol:

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in