IOF 315 rifle and cartridge

Posts related to rifles.
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:37 am

Thanks, Thats good stuff.Anyway you can get the tabular form in? these old eyes get tired pretty fast
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

For Advertising mail webmaster
TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Re: IOF 315 rifle and cartridge

Post by TwoRivers » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:31 pm

MoA: O.A.L. is too long to fit the Lee magazine. 8x50R should be 2.992"; .303 British 3.075", any longer is too long for the mag and proper feeding. Cheers.

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:21 pm

Eljeffee/Two Rivers,

PM me an email address and the OAL you want, will run the numbers and send them across in tabular form.

The current OAL is the standard for 8x50R. Reducing the OAL will lead to higher pressures.. so as a rule of thumb 42 grains might be a little high.

But once I have the correct OAL you want I can do the calc's.

Regards,

MoA

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:11 pm

Thanks for that MoA
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:44 am

hi guys.my brother applied for an NP bore rifle for self defense.he may also do occasional target practice.he has a 315 in mind but somebody told me that it loses accuracy after 3 or 4 shots(after barrel heats up).i have no experience with a 315.suggestions welcome :)

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:39 am

any suggestions from members with experience with a 315.????

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:00 am

Any rifle with a sporter weight barrel will start changing its point of impact after a few rounds have been fired rapidly and the barrel heats up. That's why most shooters now use three-shot instead of five-shot groups to check their rifle's accuracy. The Lee-Enfield, with its light barrel and two-piece stock is trickier to stock properly than most other bolt actions. But why do you need rapid fire?, if the bad guy keeps coming at you an inch or two off the point of aim surely won't matter. It the first shot that counts! Cheers.

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:38 am

thanks two rivers.i got the point but my main concern is about the huge change in point of impact of the 315.this thing actually was mentioned by a dealer himself :roll:

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:18 am

indian";p="54172 wrote: thanks two rivers.i got the point but my main concern is about the huge change in point of impact of the 315.this thing actually was mentioned by a dealer himself :roll:
AFAIK the main problem with the IOFB .315 is the complete lack of imported ammo... the IOFB made KF ammo being very inconsistent (in dimensions as well as bullet weight & powder charge) would in of itself ensure that your POI would vary shot to shot - irrespective of barrel heating.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:56 am

thanks very much abhijeet :)

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:19 am

Indian,

The IOF .315 is nothing more than an Enfield No 1 Mark 3.The accuracy of the rifle would depend a great deal upon how the fore-end is bedded.I would suggest that you buy a copy of 'Accurizing and shooting Lee Enfields' by Ian Skennerton for your brother ,if he decides to buy the IOF .315.

An easy way to ensure that the point of impact does not change is to ensure that all the screws are tightened.The trigger guard screw in all the IOF .315's has to be replaced.The threads are all buggered and it is ,infact nothing more than a pin.The Kings screw(the one ahead of the magazine) has to be as tight as possible and the fore-end screw that goes into the base of the rear sight has to be tight.If the the butt stock retaining screw is loose,it can also lead to vertical stringing.

Feeding problems can generally be rectified by tweaking the feeding lips and polishing the feeding ramp.

Buy it,take off the wooden furniture and dunk the metal bits in thinner.Use a brass brush and strip off the black paint RFI is so fond of these days.The action is rough as a result of the machining marks.Any good gunsmith can smooth these out.Most of the rifles have not been head spaced properly.Again refer to advice about a GOOD gunsmith.

As for gun dealers,99% know jack shit about firearms.They sell the IOF stuff as there are buyers for it.However they would like you to buy imported stuff as the margin of profit is much higher in them.25-30,000/- as compared to 2-5,000/- in the IOF firearms.

PS-Off course, dealers who are members here, are amongst the remaining 1% :wink: :lol:

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:32 am

thanks for your valuable advice penpusher :) we will surely follow these and by the way, im a proud enfield owner(no.4 mk 1) :)

GasramGandu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by GasramGandu » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:31 am

Thanks for the tips, SS.

GG

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:56 pm

GasramGandu";p="54201 wrote:Thanks for the tips, SS.

GG
Uh-oh, looks like someone's planning to buy one. :mrgreen:

penpusher, what is the current batch of .315 ammo like? Are those jackets still stripping off?

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:23 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="54218 wrote: penpusher, what is the current batch of .315 ammo like? Are those jackets still stripping off?
None so far.A friend,who has had one for a couple of years and who shoots it regularly,has never experienced one