IOF 315 rifle and cartridge

Posts related to rifles.
shahid

Post by shahid » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:20 am

What is a pity is that it is very difficult to attach a scope to this Indian 315. SOme shooters from Maharashtra have suceeded in drilling holes on the reciever and have attached a scope with good results. Would love to see the pics how this was done.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: IOF .315 rifle and ammo

Post by Grumpy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:28 am

An alloy bolt ? AN ALLOY BOLT ? !!! In a centre-fire rifle ?
What`s that, the `IOF Suicide Special` ? !!!
You have got to be joking.
Yeah, it must be a steel alloy.

What`s wrong with the Lee Enfield/SMLE ?
One of the finest rifle designs ever and almost certainly the best military bolt action.
As regards its styling, well it was adopted as the Lee Metford in 1888 so you can`t expect modern styling. The stock is a military pattern and pretty typical of its` era - none of the military bolt actions were exactly pretty.
You`ve obviously never seen a Lee Speed - a commercial sporting rifle. Beautifully finished and some had oustanding wood.
There were also sporters made on No 4 actions such as the one pictured below built for Churchill of London.

shahid

Post by shahid » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:33 am

Maybe not an alloy bolt but just electroplated with chrome or nickel. They do all kinds of funny things at IOF.

shahid

Post by shahid » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:35 am

Look at the stock of current .315, it is pale yellow. Looks bad. Next they might decide to paint it green.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:23 am

"You are right. I too have heard from old shooters that the first few lots of barrels were 7.62 mm overbored. SO this seems to be the case. Match it with Lee Enfield already being made from a similar rimmed case and here you have a .315."

Er......No you don`t. The 7.62 NATO ( .308 Win ) has got nothing to do with the .315 IOF and the barrel bore/bullet diameter is smaller than either the .303 or .315.

"But mind you, THis low velocity heavy bullet does have its merits at closer ranges of 60 to 75 yards. It outperforms 30-06. At this range a 30-06 bullet has plenty of velocity to penetrate out of a light sand bag filled with a bit of dried grass and wood shavings while the .315 bullet remains inside."

Sorry, I`m trying to wrap my head around that logic......and failing. How you can say that the .315 IOF outperforms the 30-06 - at any range - is beyond me. The 30-06 beats the .315 in all departments - greater energy, higher SD, better BC. Because of its` populariity the 30-06 is available in a huge range of factory loadings from 55 gr `Accelerator` bullets to 220 gr heavyweights - and up to 240 gr if you handload. Within that wide range of bullet weights are a huge selection of bullet types. Such versatility makes it even more superior.

shahid

Post by shahid » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:41 am

See it here. .308 is smaller so it was drilled again to .315 got it ?

Indian conditions cannot be discussed further here at IFG. THis is the limit.

shahid

Post by shahid » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:43 am

But it is all about a greater hydrostatic shock with that big 244 grain bullet.

As for the 30-06, what we get as factory loads to the maximum is 220 grains.

Our bread and butter is the S & B 180 grain bullet. MJ.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:03 am

"Some of the surplus rifles were given to countries even poorer than us as military aid, some seem to have found their way into the US market, where they still sell quite cheaply, but they could not be sold to civilians here as .303 and 7.62 are both military chamberings and therefore classified as PB. "

I remember reading that some of these rifles were bought by arms dealer abroad and send to Mujahideens in Afghanistan used against Soviets, similarly tanks sold by India made there way to South Africa and embarresment for India

Cheers

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:22 am

Grumpy";p="17432 wrote:An alloy bolt ? AN ALLOY BOLT ? !!! In a centre-fire rifle ?
What`s that, the `IOF Suicide Special` ? !!!
You have got to be joking.
John,

He is not joking. Another member had this to say about the bolt " looks suspicious and probably made of aluminium "
Last edited by Sujay on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:58 am

Sujay,

Do you mean the bolt handle or the entire bolt? I very much doubt if it could be the latter.

Mack The Knife

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:51 am

Aluminium Bolt!! :? :? :? :? :Shock:
Everyday learning newthings on IFG. :)
It is not an alloy bolt.It ia completly made out of steel(ofcourse inferior one) .I have 5 IOf .315 in my house.Seen/used them very closly several times but never found alloy in it.but it looks like alloy.I also have an old ,maybe around 80s model .315 IOf ,it is much better than the new one's in look wise and also in performance.
BTW good info on IOF .315.
Thanks

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:34 am

badshah0522";p="17492 wrote:Aluminium Bolt!! :? :? :? :? :shock:

Guess it's my turn for :oops: You guys are probably right, it does look like some sort of aluminium alloy though... possible, that it's just some sort of strange IOFB polish/ finish on the bolt (to make it look pretty?? :roll:)
badshah0522";p="17492 wrote:Everyday learning newthings on IFG. :)
Quite clearly, so am I... :lol:

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

shahid

Post by shahid » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:59 am

When will IOF improve upon the black paint on the barrels ? The factoy must have had facilities for blueing them.

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:03 am

Mack The Knife Bana";p="17489 wrote:Sujay,

Do you mean the bolt handle or the entire bolt? I very much doubt if it could be the latter.

Mack The Knife
Jonah,

Please clarify !!!
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:08 am

Sujay";p="17501 wrote:
Mack The Knife Bana";p="17489 wrote:Sujay,

Mack The Knife
Jonah,

Please clarify !!!
Jonah! :shock:

Do you mean the bolt handle that is used to operate the bolt or the actual body of the bolt?

Mack The Knife