The INSAS 5.56mm Rifle- A Technical Treatise

Posts related to rifles.
kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: The INSAS 5.56mm Rifle- A Technical Treatise

Post by kanwar76 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:28 pm

CC,

I can't say more than what members have already said about your post. Its awesome, please keep posting these gems and be around.

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

For Advertising mail webmaster
MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:14 pm

The bakelite on the AK's and clones are plasticky too. But are better feeling bits of plastic.
Thankyou for confirming that the INSAS is indeed a piece of junk.

I will stick with my Vz thank you.

msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by msandhu » Sun May 16, 2010 5:42 pm

One thing that i still cannot understand is the choice of bright orange color on the gun.. isn't it supposed to be more camouflaged ??
MSandhu

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun May 16, 2010 6:51 pm

Msandhu

Because orange can be seen in the dark (sic)..I agree but who knows how these hacks work or why does Army put up with this toy..they are quite vocal about other DRDO products yet this one hey have grudgingly accepted. :?:

Its a cost thing and also reflects how well does this company understand end users needs :twisted:

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Mon May 17, 2010 9:03 am

CC: thank you so much for adding words and pictures to the INSAS subject. I have often seen this weapon discussed here, but now I can appreciate the discussions intelligently, now that I understand the rifle. I would offer this observation:

Rs 15,000 at a 20:1 exchange rate would be $750. During the late 90s, I understood Saddam Hussein was buying AKs from the Russians at ~$400 to $450, the same weapons that the Russians were selling to everyone else for $100, the same figure quoted in this thread. I've also heard of the Romanian cut rate weapons (and thanks for the Chinese price!). Anyway, Even if one wanted to support a national arms industry for strategic reasons and even if one wanted to also reap a social benefit with defense expenditures (something that the "World powers" did with battleship construction in years gone by), it seems to me that a premium of $650 over market price and even a premium of $200 over what embargoed and sanctioned Saddam Hussein was paying sure seems to be a hefty price tag.

It would seem an especially grievous price to pay when the quality level is below what might be expected from other sources, despite the hefty price tag of the INSAS.

Anyway, thanks for the description and pics, CC!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Mon May 17, 2010 10:17 pm

Thanks timmy (and everyone else for the kind words)!!

Time and opportunity allowing, I'll try to present a study of the innards of the INSAS, and if possible, equivalent rifles.

I'll try a similar study of the INSAS LMG as soon as i get the time to do so. In spite of its weight, I'm beginning to feel the INSAS LMG with folding stock would make a better battle rifle- very comparable to the Galil...

Forgot to mention, the INSAS bayonet is a 1:1 clone of the AKMS one.

regards,
cc
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

shooter50
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shooter50 » Tue May 18, 2010 1:02 pm

Interesting and informative post for the uninitiated but terribly blinkered. The INSAS needs modifications and a few refinements but it is definately not junk!!! It is slightly overpriced but remember importing a few AKs or other assault rifles at lower prices is irrelevant when our requirement is close to two million !!
Best Wishes

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Thu May 20, 2010 9:25 pm

shooter50 wrote:Interesting and informative post for the uninitiated but terribly blinkered. The INSAS needs modifications and a few refinements but it is definately not junk!!! It is slightly overpriced but remember importing a few AKs or other assault rifles at lower prices is irrelevant when our requirement is close to two million !!
Best Wishes

...Which is why AK's are imported in tens of thousands and at times even hundred's of thousands.... it's certainly relevant when hundreds of crores change hands properly or improperly in hammering out such deals... :)

regards,
cc
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri May 21, 2010 12:52 am

it is good to be loyal to ones own, but not for wrong reasons. INSAS is carp and thats that. being loyal with treason as like cutting your own throat.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri May 21, 2010 1:27 am

I think you have a point, Richard. Following a non-aligned path in foreign policy was the right thing, but inflexibility over this point led to the retention of the SMLE in 1962, instead of getting the rights from FN. This ended up having to be done anyway, but after a severe lesson had been learned.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Fri May 21, 2010 8:33 am

So, what our soldiers have in their hand is a bulky, overweight tub of mixed fruit jam that tastes like shit. There was a time when Indians were considered masters in weapon creation. I guess we lost that gene pool. :(

Thanks CC for the post and Jonah for the video.

Regards
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

advitiyas
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by advitiyas » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:46 pm

Wat a review "cottage cheese" Sir,

I am so much impressed by the depth of your knowledge in gun history. I am little disappointed by the INSAS rifle from the beginning as they never looked beautiful like M16 or AKM or MP5 or FN FAL. Somewhere I was reading about the 1911 pistol and the writer noted a strange co-incidence that all the successful Gun/rifle in the history, looked very beautiful and attractive. INSAS have a very strange looking furniture and as you mentioned the metal finishing is not attractive. As you mention the rivets also look bad.

Recently, I saw a 0.32 revolver from IOF and a desi Sixer (made in Bihar and held in Delhi by police). The IOF revolver looks so crude in front of the sixer. incidentally the sixer has a marking "Made in USA" so clear that even police cant believe their eyes. I have fired an IOF revolver and it looks very smooth. But again it doesn't look attractive.

Again, I want to thank you for such great review and photographs.

Best regards
AADI

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:33 am

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:13 am

CC

WOW Knew that Oman has had very close relations with India and also the defense forces interact a lot but this is surprising unless Indians just donated some...now IOF can claim another Customer and beat the chest ..the darn show goes on... :oops:

m24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by m24 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:45 am

:cry:
Jeff Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1) All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.