Car jacking: What defence?

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Car jacking: What defence?

Post by xl_target » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:52 am

Big Daddy wrote:Armed robbers (popularly known as highway robbers) in Nigeria are quiet descent :lol: . They have this habit of jacking you, mostly at night, and giving you taxi fare to the nearest town. More of a tradition. Has happened to a couple of friends. When driving down on a lonely stretch, we do not even stop to help a breakdown car as this might be a trap. Has happened a lot of time to many people.

BD
When I lived in Nigeria in 1980-81, armed robbery was common. They had so many stolen cars that the police would often set up road blocks and check people's registration and drivers licences. Cars would be backed up for miles. While the police would check cars in front, armed robbers would rob the people stopped in traffic in the back of the line. My father was the victim of such an attack. As Big Daddy says, they were actually quite polite. They took his car. He wasn't upset about the car, however. He was on his way to play golf and he was really upset that they took his golf clubs!
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
veejosh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by veejosh » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:20 pm

This is what I recently got for anti HiJack !!

Vikas

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z105 ... ijack1.mp4

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:22 pm

install magnetic relish tear gas under the car, flame thrower from the exhaust, electrify the door handles. if possible mini gun in front and a missile luncher would come handy. tubless tires or track instated.

heck man just buy a tank :lol:
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

vrohan59
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vrohan59 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:42 pm

My two cents:god forbid but if something like that happens,I'de use all seven bullets in my Arminius(reload and pump in another 7 if need be),and speed the hell away!!!!Nags by the way a tank won't be really helpful,the bad guys in my neck of the woods are armed even with RPS!!!Maybe an ICBM would come in handy :lol:
War does not define who is right -- only who is left
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:25 pm

vrohan59 wrote:My two cents:god forbid but if something like that happens,I'de use all seven bullets in my Arminius(reload and pump in another 7 if need be),and speed the hell away!!!!Nags by the way a tank won't be really helpful,the bad guys in my neck of the woods are armed even with RPS!!!Maybe an ICBM would come in handy :lol:
the point is, in a cramped driving seat, with a wheel in front, how practical will it be to find a gun, point it sideways and shoot without aiming..........all the time with a guy holding a katta to your head.
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:15 am

in any defence, proper planing and preparation prevents a dead body. this means one must think for all occison and situations. like wise make preparation for keeping the arms in right place with right thinking and acting is the major difference in staying alive.

when in cars etc. do not have the arms on your person as its hard to get to. have it nearby under cover but ready for instant use. always do the unexpected. (get on your knees and pray :lol: )
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:11 am

Shoot first. Shoot accurately, and shoot again more accurately.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:54 am

Following applies to right-handed people only, apologies to left-handed folks!

In US and other countries, you have left-hand drive cars, so a right handed driver, with the gun to his head, can shoot with his gun arm across his body, also will be easier to find a handgun kept say, somewhere near the hand (mechanical) brake / gear shift stick. In India / UK, where you have right-hand drive cars, it is very difficult to use right hand for such shots, unless you can shoot with your thumb :D . I tried to practice quick-draw with uncapped pepper spray (kept in the door magazine holder), found it very tough to flex the right arm rapidly enough to surprise the chap with the gun / knife to my head. Extremely good chances of getting pepper in my own face!
Can any gun owner in such a situation confirm how he would tackle this? Left-handed practice (well, in India, you won't get enough cartridges for normal practice!)? Thumb shooting (same comment)?

Cheers!

EssDee
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

drifter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by drifter » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:05 pm

Dear fantumfan2003,

I would have started crying for sure, man you must be made of steel. Pls narrate the full story with all details it would be interesting and surely helps others, how did uyou guys react and things like that.

reg,
drifter.

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:19 am

essdee1972 wrote:Following applies to right-handed people only, apologies to left-handed folks!

In US and other countries, you have left-hand drive cars, so a right handed driver, with the gun to his head, can shoot with his gun arm across his body, also will be easier to find a handgun kept say, somewhere near the hand (mechanical) brake / gear shift stick. In India / UK, where you have right-hand drive cars, it is very difficult to use right hand for such shots, unless you can shoot with your thumb :D . I tried to practice quick-draw with uncapped pepper spray (kept in the door magazine holder), found it very tough to flex the right arm rapidly enough to surprise the chap with the gun / knife to my head. Extremely good chances of getting pepper in my own face!
Can any gun owner in such a situation confirm how he would tackle this? Left-handed practice (well, in India, you won't get enough cartridges for normal practice!)? Thumb shooting (same comment)?

Cheers!

EssDee
have been thinking of the situation,i feel right hand driven right hander doesnot have much option.unless he is strong enough to push the door along with the assailant and maybe a quickdraw or might have to practice using the gun with left hand.or if your co-driver is smart enough to handle a gun would help.seems no other choice???

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:42 am

if your co-driver is smart enough to handle a gun would help.

Doctor, that would require the co driver to shoot across the driver's body, I for one might trust the tender mercies of the daku than the skill of the person next to me :lol:. More seriously, I find myself fumbling and getting caught with even a small pepper can, which fits snugly in the hand; so with a gun, with barrel sticking out, it's going to be much more difficult. Unless you have a gun you can shoot through the door, hitting the perp in the leg or somewhere. Rather tough with an IOF .32, i believe?
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:40 am

essdee1972 wrote:
if your co-driver is smart enough to handle a gun would help.

Doctor, that would require the co driver to shoot across the driver's body, I for one might trust the tender mercies of the daku than the skill of the person next to me :lol:. More seriously, I find myself fumbling and getting caught with even a small pepper can, which fits snugly in the hand; so with a gun, with barrel sticking out, it's going to be much more difficult. Unless you have a gun you can shoot through the door, hitting the perp in the leg or somewhere. Rather tough with an IOF .32, i believe?
yes i agree.may be a 9mm can go through?

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:39 am

may be a 9mm can go through?
No idea! Anyway, for us poor Indians, reaching for the sky and giving up the car seems to be the best idea! Of course, if the guy leaves you unharmed, you can always try to jump him as he is getting into the car...
Or hit the gas, and hope his shot will go wild...
Cheers!

EssDee

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:15 pm

if he is close, grab his hand (in case door/window open) pull down as much as you can and drive. you cant run with your hands down , ain't you. ROTFL ROTFL
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:42 pm

Subal das wrote:if he is close, grab his hand (in case door/window open) pull down as much as you can and drive. you cant run with your hands down , ain't you. ROTFL ROTFL
Dear Subal,
What if someone like say, the wife is sitting in the passenger's seat ? Pulling down the assailant's hand and driving on is surely an invitation to fire at least one shot off ? Hmmm, that is if the shot does not take the driver's on-the-gear left hand/ wrist off first. What say ?
==
O Shea (character): Guns make you nervous ?
Charles Bronson: Guns or the users ? Idiots with guns make me nervous.
(Death Wish V)