Ohio permit holder successfully defends himself

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Ohio permit holder successfully defends himself

Post by xl_target » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:30 pm

An attempted robbery/beating of an Ohio permit holder stopped by the "victim". The perpetrators confessed to Police that they were just going to beat up the victim for no reason. They also tried to get him to give them a ride which he refused to do.
The permit holder wished he had the gun on his person instead of in his car. Luckily, he was able to reach it and it turned out OK for him.

He was also glad that he had a round chambered.
the gun was a glock model 36. carrying with one in the chamber probably saved my life because i was holding myself in the car with my left hand as they were trying to pull me out of the car no way i could have racked the slide.

Post by the permit holder HERE

Video and news report HERE and HERE

It is interesting that the perpetrator took two .45 ACP rounds to his center of mass and was walking around a couple of days later.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Ohio permit holder successfully defends himself

Post by shooter » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:26 am

thanks xl.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

Priyan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Priyan » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:08 am

he should have pooped a cap in his head to be safe from Civil lawsuit. Remember Bernhard Goetz?
When I'll get to shoot a gun?

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:40 am

Ohio Law prevents the filing of a civil lawsuit in self defense cases
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Priyan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Priyan » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:45 am

Still "Make My Day" allows t file civil lawsuit if excessive force is used and there's no legal definition for it. Also what if the goon comes back for revenge?
When I'll get to shoot a gun?

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:48 am

innocent life saved thats good news.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:50 am

Nah the guy is safe from a lawsuit. The DA ruled it self defense and no charges were pressed.
Will the goon come back? He might, he just seems stupid enough. If he does come back, then apparently two rounds of .45 ACP were not enough and I'm sure the gentleman with the gun will oblige him with some more.

OverUnderPump
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by OverUnderPump » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:05 pm

The perp just got served, Kudos to the gent.

regards
8)
OUP
The universe was born with a BIG BANG, no wonder guns run in my blood.

Disclaimer: My post is either a question or a reply to one. I am stating an opinion. If my opinion differs from yours, It's not intended as an insult.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:14 pm

xl_target wrote:Ohio Law prevents the filing of a civil lawsuit in self defense cases
What a commonsensical approach!I wonder why some states do not have such a provision in their laws. Thanks for the video,XL.

As an OT, I wonder what dangers shooting so close to a fuel pump can cause.Of course, I am not suggesting that he should not have.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:27 am

Vikram,
I should have been more precise; Ohio's "Castle" law gives immunity for civil liability if the you are in your house or your car. Since the bad guys were trying to drag him out of his car, he's covered.
The house or car is considered your "castle" and you have no obligation to retreat if in either place. In versions of some states castle laws, you are allowed to use deadly force to prevent the commission of a felony while in your "castle".
Many states in the US have passed some kind of Castle Law with others agitating for passage in their states.

As far as the dangers of an explosion around a gas pump in this instance; from watching the video, he had already replaced the nozzle in the pump so no fuel was flowing. Most defensive ammo recipes use some blend of low flash powders which might help prevent ignition of gasoline vapors in the air. However, I'm sure that this is a very valid concern.

To everyone: Take the time to read the "post by the permit holder" linked to in the original post. It is illuminating if not downright funny. The perpetrators friend, who ran away when the shots were fired, posted a bunch of bravado on his Facebook page (which was duly captured and posted on the "Internets" for everyone to see). He also admitted that he was there, making his coming arrest and conviction a virtual slam-dunk. This post has gone viral on a lot of gun boards since this was posted. Not much on it by the news media, except for local (Ohio) news. Most media outlets will not cover a successful self defense incident. Don't want the other peasants to get ideas, you know?

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:48 pm

one observation - it is quite possible to the pull slide and load pistol with one hand, just slide pistol against any surface which can catch up with rear sight. inside car it can be steering wheel, panel. it is also possible to clear stoppage with one hand only. he was lucky it was loaded.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

rcdoma
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by rcdoma » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:08 am

:agree:

Here's another way to do it :wink: :

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:57 am

Subal das wrote:one observation - it is quite possible to the pull slide and load pistol with one hand, just slide pistol against any surface which can catch up with rear sight. inside car it can be steering wheel, panel. it is also possible to clear stoppage with one hand only. he was lucky it was loaded.
As you say it is quite possible to rack a semi auto one handed but you had better have practiced that a lot. Could he have done that when they were trying to pull him out of the car and he had one hand on the steering wheel, hanging on for dear life? Maybe. Personally, I don't think I could do it consistently every time, under extreme stress, when my life depended on it. I guess I'm not willing to find out the hard way. I carry with one up the spout all the time. Keep in mind that one tends to lose their fine motor skills under extreme stress situations.

While they video shows one way to cock a pistol, I'd be willing to bet that can't be done in the closed confines of an automobile, under stress. I have tried this method and while it seems to work with striker fired pistols like the Glock and the M&P, I could not get the slide to move more than a few centimeters with any of my DA/SA pistols. In a DA/SA pistol, the hammer is cocked by the slide but even with the hammer cocked back, I could not get the slide to move very far.

thebrowningeffect
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by thebrowningeffect » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:29 pm

Beautiful !! Thanks for the post XL.
”An armed society is a polite society.”
~Robert Heinlein~

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:06 pm

xl_target wrote:
Subal das wrote:one observation - it is quite possible to the pull slide and load pistol with one hand, just slide pistol against any surface which can catch up with rear sight. inside car it can be steering wheel, panel. it is also possible to clear stoppage with one hand only. he was lucky it was loaded.
As you say it is quite possible to rack a semi auto one handed but you had better have practiced that a lot. Could he have done that when they were trying to pull him out of the car and he had one hand on the steering wheel, hanging on for dear life? Maybe. Personally, I don't think I could do it consistently every time, under extreme stress, when my life depended on it. I guess I'm not willing to find out the hard way. I carry with one up the spout all the time. Keep in mind that one tends to lose their fine motor skills under extreme stress situations.

While they video shows one way to cock a pistol, I'd be willing to bet that can't be done in the closed confines of an automobile, under stress. I have tried this method and while it seems to work with striker fired pistols like the Glock and the M&P, I could not get the slide to move more than a few centimeters with any of my DA/SA pistols. In a DA/SA pistol, the hammer is cocked by the slide but even with the hammer cocked back, I could not get the slide to move very far.
that actually expose, serious gap in training which most people have.Never be satisfied in how much You learned - Chanakya pandit.

People mostly trains in shooting, but no one care to learn how to change mag with one hand, how to clear stoppage with one hand ect but situations when you may need such training may happens.

In my experience amount of stress in critical situation depends on what is your starting point. If you already on high alert, under some steam so to say, switching from yellow to red, no problem and no stress at all, maybe it will come later, depends on seriousness of aftermath. but If you day dreaming ... then yes, knee shaking and hands trembling, I've been in both kind of conditions. That maybe curious, first explanation which comes on my mind Oh yeah ! - You become soft, and full of estrogens with age. But real reason to get in some serious stress is always in not been ready, not been mentally prepared.

yes that video more like a circus, does not have practical value at all.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"