Don't come between a mother and her cub

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Don't come between a mother and her cub

Post by xl_target » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:40 pm

An 18 year old Oklahoma mother takes responsibility for the safety of her infant and herself.
The recently widowed mother shot and killed one of two armed intruders who broke into her house. The other fled.

She was on the phone with 911 for 21 minutes.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/01/04/justice/oklahoma-intruder-shooting/?hpt=hp_t2
A 911 operator calmly spoke with McKinley, who asked if it was permissible to shoot an intruder, officials said.
"I've got two guns in my hand. Is it OK to shoot him if he comes in this door?" asked McKinley, 18.
"Well, you have to do whatever you can do to protect yourself," dispatcher Diane Graham responded. "I can't tell you that you can do that, but you do what you have to do to protect your baby."
In the end, McKinley fired a 12-gauge shotgun and killed Justin Shane Martin after he entered her residence, according to a Blanchard Police Department affidavit filed in court Wednesday. Martin was armed with a knife, authorities said.
Other news reports:
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/teen-mom-shoots-kills-intruder-15292428?tab=9482931&section=1206833

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/04/mom-kills-intruder_n_1183336.html

Just one thing that I would like to add is that we have got to stop pretending that defending oneself is a big deal. I've been reading a bunch of reports about this incident and some make it seem like such an unnatural act, one that only a few people are able to accomplish. Protecting yourself and your family should be as natural as breathing and it's about time we recognized that. To most people this is self evident but there are some.... sigh.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Don't come between a mother and her cub

Post by ckkalyan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:54 pm

xl_target wrote: Just one thing that I would like to add is that we have got to stop pretending that defending oneself is a big deal. I've been reading a bunch of reports about this incident and some make it seem like such an unnatural act, one that only a few people are able to accomplish. Protecting yourself and your family should be as natural as breathing and it's about time we recognized that. To most people this is self evident but there are some.... sigh.
+++1> SIGH! :evil: Good one xl_target!

Very polite lady = gets permission from the upholders of the law before she shoots!

Calls 911 - "Excuse me sir, there is this guy who has broken into my home, he is after me and my family, with a knife - may I shoots his B***S off - just in case you don't actually make it here in time?"

:cheers:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:17 pm

Actually, she did not get permission to shoot. When the mother asked the 911 dispatcher if she could shoot, the dispatcher said she could not tell her it was OK to shoot. On interview tonight, the dispatcher said that they were not allowed to tell anyone that they could shoot someone. However, the dispatcher said that she was a mother also, and that she would not leave the young mother to face these goons. So she added, you have to do what you have to do to protect your baby.

The young mother on TV tonight said that she did not regret what she did, because otherwise she probably wouldn't be here tonight.

Frankly, I think she did society a tremendous service.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:06 am

"...protecting yourself or your family...", to which I would add: "or that we need anyone's permission to do so."

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:41 am

Hi, Guys i dont know what to say, but one thing for sure if some one come to my house in night time it mean he going to get shot on his ass. i am not the only one have firearms linc. in my house but my wife also have a firearms linc. and my boys also know how to shoot the gun as well.

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

Baljit

Virendra S Rathore
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Virendra S Rathore » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:19 am

I salute the mother and wish her all the healing. She has gone through two shocks in succession.
Is the case going to trial??

Regards,
Virendra
Virendra S Rathore

To Take my gun away for I might kill someone is just like cutting my throat for I might yell "Fire !!" in a crowded theatre ..

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:03 am

No Trial.
The chief of police has been quoted as saying that it was a justified shoot and no charges will be filed.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941