A Miss America whom I love

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
mehulkamdar

A Miss America whom I love

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:34 am

Now, tell me seriously, is there anyone among you who does not love this old girl?

82-Year-Old Ex-Beauty Queen Stops Intruder by Shooting Out Tires
Friday, April 20, 2007

E-MAIL STORY PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION
WAYNESBURG, Ky. — Miss America 1944 has a talent that likely has never appeared on a beauty pageant stage: She fired a handgun to shoot out a vehicle's tires and stop an intruder.

Venus Ramey, 82, confronted a man on her farm in south-central Kentucky last week after she saw her dog run into a storage building where thieves had previously made off with old farm equipment.

Ramey said the man told her he would leave. "I said, 'Oh, no you won't,' and I shot their tires so they couldn't leave," Ramey said.

She had to balance on her walker as she pulled out a snub-nosed .38-caliber handgun.

"I didn't even think twice. I just went and did it," she said. "If they'd even dared come close to me, they'd be 6 feet under by now."

Ramey then flagged down a passing motorist, who called 911.

Curtis Parrish of Ohio was charged with misdemeanor trespassing, Deputy Dan Gilliam said. The man's hometown wasn't immediately available. Three other people were questioned but were not arrested.

After winning the pageant with her singing, dancing and comedic talents, Ramey sold war bonds and her picture was adorned on a B-17 that made missions over Germany in World War II, according to the Miss America Web site.

Ramey lived in Cincinnati for several years and was instrumental in helping rejuvenate Over-the-Rhine historic buildings. She returned to Kentucky in 1990 to live on her farm.

"I'm trying to live a quiet, peaceful life and stay out of trouble, and all it is, is one thing after another," she said.
Last edited by mehulkamdar on Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:21 am

Mehul, that's one gutsy old gal~! :) We need more like her over here...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

jumq
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by jumq » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:59 am

She is certainly a brave old version of Sandra Bullock .. :D

Jumy

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:09 pm

Jumy,

Check out this post of mine - http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?t=1476

You might find the article of particular interest to you... :)

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

penpusher

Re: A Miss America whom I love

Post by penpusher » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:54 pm

A senior of mine told me of a time when he was in the excise dept, when they had tried to stop a truck at a CRPF( para military force) check post.This was at the height of disturbances in Punjab.The driver rammed the truck though the barrier.According to the person who told me this story,a CRPF Havildar opened up with his 9mm carbine at the truck's rear tires and failed to puncture them.

Tough lady, though.Older people are considered to be easy targets by crooks.Might give some of them something to ponder.

penpusher

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:19 pm

Grand mama mia! :lol: :lol: :lol:
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:42 pm

Abhijeet,

If our sisters were armed, would any apology for a human being try to act funny with them? :) Yes, we do need more brave ladies like her. May she inspire our many Miss Indias to spread a courageous attitude around!

Jumy,

Sandra Bullock is only an actress and while she might have performed some staged stunts in her movies, this old girl did something powerful in real life. She sold war bonds to help defeat the Nazis and now this - I do wish I could meet her and shake her hand. What a great lady!

Cheers!

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:05 pm

penpusher,

Truck tyres are much heavier and have several more plies than car tyres and, if the truck was going away, then the rotation of the tyres may have deflected the bullets I guess.

Yes, I agree that the old lady was a brave soul and her quick action proved that senior citizens cannot be taken for granted. I wish more old people kept guns and used them against potential attackers. That would keep the crook population in check.

Best wishes, my friend!

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:26 pm

I read she was the first red-haired Miss America, so that only reinforces my theories about being especially careful around red-haired women!

Truck tires are amazingly thick, I am not suprised they deflected a 9mm, and they might even deflect a 44.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:31 pm

Hat's off to her..

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:14 am

Waay to go Miss America!
Second that bit about redheads...
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:41 am

I heard this news on radio also, this lady was also balancing herself on a walker, nice shot from .38 snub revolver.

There was similar story from Harlem a while back when an old lady was going to shooting range or somewhere with her gun, got mugged and she shot elbow off this clown.

Rgds

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:14 am

Navdeep,

I remember the NYC incident. The lady was in a wheelchair and had a premises permit. She was attacked by this mugger as she was going to the range for an afternoon of target practice and she quickly got a shot off injuring him and knocking him down until the police came and got him. He later told the police that the last thing that hwe expected was for an old lady in a wheelchair to have a gun. :lol:

Does reinforce penpusher's suggestion that older people who live alone need to arm themselves to prevent what the GoA calls "victim disarmament."

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:30 am

Gutsy old lady,aint nobody gonna mess with her no more. :)
Sanjay

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:33 pm

She made it to Asian Age (Delhi) today!
Great going!
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."