What NOT TO teach children!!!

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
choombak
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: This is what that should not be tought to children!!!

Post by choombak » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:54 am

It is a must to teach children safe handling (note, I don't say usage) of arms, especially if you keep them at home. My 5 yr old can handle folding knives and fixed blades very easily - she knows where to hold, how to hold, what to do if a knife is found lying around, etc. etc.. It took me a lot of patience, and practice to build these skills in her. I always keep my knives at a "safe" distance, but consider the possibility of a mistake - hence the preparation.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Ticky
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ticky » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:57 am

Let look at the legal aspect. Is it legal for you to allow your minor kids to handle your fire arm?

choombak
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by choombak » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:58 am

kartiksingh1992 wrote:
sakuragi2012 wrote:Guns is not to be taught for young children, they are too much young to learned to handled high powered Guns. This is not good.

Hypothetically what will your children do if an intruder gets in your house while you are not there and threatens to kill them. Then if by any chance your gun is at home and your children had been trained, they could defend themselves.
Realistically, kids below a certain age cannot handle high powered arms. It is far more likely that the kid will injure himself or get killed in the process - it is not just the firing that matters, but the time it takes to draw a weapon and fire also does. It will take a huge amount of effort to teach the kid all these skills are a very young age. A better option is to teach him/her to hide in such scenarios, or if possible escape the scene, or have some other tactic that the kid can effectively use against the intruder. Time works against both. :-)

ArmisNine
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by ArmisNine » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:12 am

Last edited by ArmisNine on Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

ArmisNine
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by ArmisNine » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:15 am

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:07 pm

kartiksingh1992 wrote:
Ticky wrote:Let look at the legal aspect. Is it legal for you to allow your minor kids to handle your fire arm?
Dont know. Is it? If it is done in a safe place? Can some one shed some light on this?
Please read Rule 16 of Arms Rules 1962. It may be read at http://www.abhijeetsingh.com/arms/india ... 15_24.html
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:56 pm

Friends,
as rightly said, the parents of these children need proper gun safety education. It is unthinkable how they let their children do it. It means also that they do not see any danger either doing the same themselves or they may be in the habit of doing the same.

There is nothing wrong in initiating children to guns. My six year old son goes with me quite often to the range and is learning bit by bit what a gun is, right now only watching and no touching without permission. He can shoot only the air weapons with proper support. This is also a way of demystifying the weapons. As a result of this, he is not extra curious about guns.
One more thing. Children below 13/14 years should not lift weapons without support (if they shoot regularly) because weight lifting is not good for their growth at this age.

best regards
tirpassion

pradeep.kumar
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by pradeep.kumar » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:16 pm

tirpassion wrote:Friends,
as rightly said, the parents of these children need proper gun safety education. It is unthinkable how they let their children do it. It means also that they do not see any danger either doing the same themselves or they may be in the habit of doing the same.

There is nothing wrong in initiating children to guns. My six year old son goes with me quite often to the range and is learning bit by bit what a gun is, right now only watching and no touching without permission. He can shoot only the air weapons with proper support. This is also a way of demystifying the weapons. As a result of this, he is not extra curious about guns.
One more thing. Children below 13/14 years should not lift weapons without support (if they shoot regularly) because weight lifting is not good for their growth at this age.

best regards
tirpassion
Well said tripassion!! Appreciate your points... teaching gun bit by bit, no touching without permission, allowing to shoot air only weapons , And above all "demystifying the weapons. As a result of this, he is not extra curious about guns".
Again fantastically said! :!: :agree:
Regards,
Pradeep

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:10 pm

tirpassion wrote:Children below 13/14 years should not lift weapons without support (if they shoot regularly) because weight lifting is not good for their growth at this age.
Yup,that is what is responsible for my stunted growth.otherwise I would have been taller than 72".

As far as the video's are concerned,no ear protection ( sound gets amplified if there are walls around),no eye protection and shooting into the air in a populated area.....stupid.... stupid.... stupid

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: What NOT TO teach children!!!

Post by mundaire » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:15 pm

Some food for thought:

IIRC sometime back there was a study conducted in USA regarding how young children react when confronted with an unattended firearm.

The vast majority picked it up (dummy gun), pointed it at another child and pulled the trigger - as they had seen being done on TV/ in the movies. Everyone here can picture what would have been the result if it had been a real firearm!

However, some of the children did not touch it (the dummy gun) and in stead brought it to the notice of their teacher. On further questioning it was found that all such children had parents/ guardians who owned firearms, which they kept at home. They had taken the time to teach their children/ wards about firearms including how to react if they came across an unattended gun.

So should one teach children about guns? Or more accurately at what age should one teach them? This is a question best answered by each parent, based on his/ her own judgement. I for one believe that exposure should begin early, this does not mean that you try and teach your 5 year old to shoot a centrefire rifle! :shock: What I mean is that one should start by teaching them about:
a) What guns are
b) The damage they can do if handled irresponsibly
c) Gun safety - repeat the instructions before & during each session, point out any lapses during the session. If it is a major lapse cancel the session immediately - they need to realise the seriousness of skipping any of the gun safety rules!
d) NEVER to handle a firearm unless supervised by an adult (this includes airguns)
e) If they come across an unattended firearm OR an object that looks like one - they MUST NOT TOUCH/ HANDLE IT, in stead report it to the nearest adult
f) Obviously teach them to shoot. I started my son off with a small CO2 BB air-pistol, because it was light and easy for him to handle - under strict supervision of course. I've taught him how to shoot, but I never force him/ egg him on to shoot, in stead I wait for him to request a session himself whenever he is in the mood. It's a skill they should know, but remember - it is not necessary that your child would share your passion for shooting.

The above is just a quick post, but I am sure you get the drift and as responsible parents each one of you will make the choices you feel are best for your children! :)

Cheers!
Abhijeet

P.S. - As WTP has very rightly pointed out - ALWAYS wear EYES & EARS when shooting and teach your child to do the same!
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

ArmisNine
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by ArmisNine » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:39 pm

ArmisNine
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by ArmisNine » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:42 pm

Last edited by ArmisNine on Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:34 pm

Yup,that is what is responsible for my stunted growth.otherwise I would have been taller than 72".
In my case, I never lifted any weights (forget about guns) in my childhood. But still, I could not go beyond 164 cms :( .
The vast majority picked it up (dummy gun), pointed it at another child and pulled the trigger - as they had seen being done on TV/ in the movies. Everyone here can picture what would have been the result if it had been a real firearm!
Yes, very very true. Movie , TV and please do not forget the VIDEO GAMES which even allows to simulate the shooting and killing. The images are more and more true to life these days and getting completely absorbed in this virtual world can be very dangerous. Hence the necessity of demystifying guns so as to draw a line between the real and the virtual world and gun safety education from an early age.

I will just add on a word on Gun education.
NEVER TO TOUCH ANY WEAPON WHATSOEVER WITHOUT THE PERMISSION OF IT'S OWNER.

best regards
tirpassion

Priyan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Priyan » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:00 pm

That's not proper firearm handling but still I'm jealous of the kid.
When I'll get to shoot a gun?

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:05 pm

Here is a point of view....

[youtube][/youtube]

I dont dial 911... I dial .357