If you get into a gun fight...

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

If you get into a gun fight...

Post by xl_target » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:43 am

I was reading another forum and was struck by the statement made by one of the posters: "If you (a licence holder with a pistol) get into a gun fight you've already lost. How much you lose is what you're fighting over".

Think about it, he is correct.

We are assuming that you are a law abiding citizen and you are defending your self or your loved ones. There are no guarantees in life but we are also assuming that you are still alive at this point and have stopped the threat.

Even if no charges are proffered against you:
You will have to live with the fact that you have shot or seriously injured someone.
You will most likely have to hire a lawyer and pay some legal costs.
The authorities will take your firearm for evidence. Who knows when you will see it again?
There is a good chance that you will be injured, either shot or cut and you will incur hospital expenses.
Many people, if they know about the incident, will be forever nervous around you.
You will probably have nightmares and suffer from stress (PTSD) for a while.

I'm sure others can come up with more reasons. I'm just trying to make you think. I'm not trying to dissuade you from preparing for the eventuality. I don't expect a fire in my house but I have fire extinguishers. Being prepared doesn't hurt.

Still, there are just no positive aspects about the situation, apart from the fact that you are still alive. One hopes one doesn't ever have to face a situation like that. If, however, you are involved in a shootout, It is most likely going to cost you physically, emotionally, spiritually and monetarily.

Think about it.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: If you get into a gun fight...

Post by Skyman » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:51 am

It isn't until we are ready to lose everything, that we are free to do anything.
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:55 am

yes i see what they are saying. however i would like to add just this;

"its is easy to get out of jail, over come stress and gossip, then to get out of grave"
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:35 pm

Perhaps we can haunt people in a " Bhooth " form?
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

thakur
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by thakur » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:53 pm

XL

You make a valid point.
Cheers,
Thakur

"Shoot well - Lens or Rifle"

Motorpsycho
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Motorpsycho » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:25 pm

I agree with XL , It's like the Pay-off matrix of game theory , minimize my loss maximize my gains.
We can live with having killed someone , to save a loved one or for saving oneself .

Like Naga said , better alive and than dead .

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:17 pm

Xl,

In India,if you do end up shooting some in SD,the IO (Investigating Officer) is your mai baap till the inquiry gets over.
Last edited by winnie_the_pooh on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Biren
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Biren » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:22 pm

winnie_the_pooh wrote:Xl,

In India,if you do end up shooting some in SD,the IO (Investigating Officer) is your mai baap till the inquiry goes on.
Rightly said...

SYED833
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by SYED833 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:10 pm

After you shoot and kill or maime,you need to worry about retaliation from kin and friends of the culprits.The police protection that you are going to get are a couple of old home gaurds armed with lathis or if you are lucky,an armed old timer who probably will run the moment he hears a ballon pop.
Most big time criminals are connected politically nowadays . So,the coPs will gladly fry you and serve you for dinner to make there bosses haPpy.
This is a sorry state of affairs we live in,Especially in rural India

Regards
Syed

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:36 am

xl_target wrote:I was reading another forum and was struck by the statement made by one of the posters: "If you (a licence holder with a pistol) get into a gun fight you've already lost. How much you lose is what you're fighting over".

Think about it, he is correct.

We are assuming that you are a law abiding citizen and you are defending your self or your loved ones. There are no guarantees in life but we are also assuming that you are still alive at this point and have stopped the threat.

Even if no charges are proffered against you:
You will have to live with the fact that you have shot or seriously injured someone.
You will most likely have to hire a lawyer and pay some legal costs.
The authorities will take your firearm for evidence. Who knows when you will see it again?
There is a good chance that you will be injured, either shot or cut and you will incur hospital expenses.
Many people, if they know about the incident, will be forever nervous around you.
You will probably have nightmares and suffer from stress (PTSD) for a while.

I'm sure others can come up with more reasons. I'm just trying to make you think. I'm not trying to dissuade you from preparing for the eventuality. I don't expect a fire in my house but I have fire extinguishers. Being prepared doesn't hurt.

Still, there are just no positive aspects about the situation, apart from the fact that you are still alive. One hopes one doesn't ever have to face a situation like that. If, however, you are involved in a shootout, It is most likely going to cost you physically, emotionally, spiritually and monetarily.

Think about it.
x-l are you talking about indian scenario?if so you can expect even worse after a gun fight
gun fights are good to see in a movie,not in real life as you said.
i will never want to be in any fight.and never will.best to avoid a situation.
regards
dr.jk

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:36 pm

The first thing i would do is run! Run away as far away as possible!
I am concerned about vigilante justice! People itching for a fight to remove bad guys off the streets!!
A gun fight should be the last thing which a person should want to get into.
Once you are in a gun fight, you have tried all you could have to avoid it and once in it, the time to think about future consequences has come and gone!
In todays day and age, the courts will hopefully support you if you abided by the law and didnt use undue force, like killing someone who is running away after breaking your jaw. Yeah, it hurts, but tough luck, you cant whip out your hand gun and pop off two rounds into the perps back.
Having said that, saving life is the holy grail. Yours and the perps, if you can help it!
I am ready for the flames here!
To Excellence through Diligence.

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:15 pm

To Excellence through Diligence.

3006rifle
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by 3006rifle » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:39 pm

If you are carrying a legal gun, be prepered to use it, if the situation so demands, but of course as a last resort. Your gun may be siezed by police and you may have to spend a few days in jail, but thereafter you will be out on bail and get a fair trial in a court of law even if the police chargesheets you. The police may also give a closure report saying you acted in excercise of your of your right to private defence u/s 100 of the IPC. You are so much better off alive than dead trying to save your gun from seizure and save yourself some legal trouble. After what's the use of a gun for a dead man. However the most dangerous situation would be when you brandish your weapon with the mindset of scarying away a criminal without having to fire a shot. Your hesitation to shoot will convery to the experienced criminal and he will most definitely kill you while you hesitate. A gun should be pulled out only if there is reasonable aprehension of you or your loved ones being killed and when you do you must shoot to save your life.

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:52 am

quite often such arguments sound demoralising and depressing. If you dont have any training, you are deadin gun fight, if you have training you just act according to the pattern of conflict. Cannot see how and where all those argument fit here.

I would realy take care and check twice that my opponent is perfectly dead.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:26 am

Subal das wrote:quite often such arguments sound demoralising and depressing. If you dont have any training, you are deadin gun fight, if you have training you just act according to the pattern of conflict. Cannot see how and where all those argument fit here.

I would realy take care and check twice that my opponent is perfectly dead.
I guess my point was that carrying a handgun is a big responsibility and it can have life changing consequences if you do have to use it.
The idea is to avoid having to use it if at all possible.
As Safarigent says; run away if you can.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941