Combat Shooting

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
yash3_great

Combat Shooting

Post by yash3_great » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:16 pm

A friend of mine is preparing a presentation on Combat shooting for the SPG. Does anyone know of some good websites or books which teach how to shoot in a combat situation?

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Re: Combat Shooting

Post by penpusher » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:01 pm

A search on Google gets you 1,610,000 results.Enough to get any information your friend might want.OT but does the SPG need a presentation on Combat Shooting?

Take care,
penpusher

yash3_great

Post by yash3_great » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:32 pm

Actually the SPG has planned to come up with a new shooting academy in Mumbai and the task has been given to an ex-SPG member. My friend trains under the veteran who has a shooting range at Noida.

By the way, even i did google, some sites are ok some are totally useless. I wanted to see if some one has a site they refer to anyways with good content.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:32 pm

Hi Yash,

This SPG is "Special Protection Group" of GOI?Shooting academy, will this be exclusively for the SPG or open for civilians too? Appreciate your reply.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

yash3_great

Post by yash3_great » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:58 pm

Hi Vikram-

SPG is indeed "Special Protection Group" of GOI. This academy is not for civilians but for SPG and other security forces like the CISF etc. This academy will train on shooting in typical combat situations like from a moving vehicle to a moving high speed vehicle and so on.

Hope this info helps.

Regards,

Yash..

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:44 pm

yash3_great";p="21525 wrote: Hi Vikram-

SPG is indeed "Special Protection Group" of GOI. This academy is not for civilians but for SPG and other security forces like the CISF etc. This academy will train on shooting in typical combat situations like from a moving vehicle to a moving high speed vehicle and so on.

Hope this info helps.

Regards,

Yash..
They do this already.What new would they learn.I am a bit confused.The NSG has a very nice complex for all this.

penpusher

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:49 pm

Ya penpusher ... can't seem to figure why... SPG certainly doesn't seem need all that additional bandobast.

yash3_great

Post by yash3_great » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:50 pm

penpusher-

You are right. And if I am not wrong, they alreadyhave such a facility at Jullandher.
However, that one is exclusively for NSG. The one coming up now will cater to other para forces such as CISF and also to private scurity agencies like GMR group.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:52 pm

Thought they have a major facility incl this at manesar , off gurgaon?
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:43 pm

yash3_great";p="21531 wrote: penpusher-

You are right. And if I am not wrong, they alreadyhave such a facility at Jullandher.
However, that one is exclusively for NSG. The one coming up now will cater to other para forces such as CISF and also to private scurity agencies like GMR group.
:? Never knew that NSG had any facility in Jallandhar.All that I know about is the Punjab Armed Police complex there.

penpusher

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:27 am

Hey Yash, check out the sites of IDPA, IPSC, USPSC. These are not really "combat" shooting but "action" shooting. Run and Gun as some call it but nevertheless quite a bit better than 50m pistol ;).

Also check out the sites of some good "guns" like Brian Enos, Rob Leatham, Todd Jarett, Ernie Langdon etc... These guys train Law enforcement officers and even some Military units in shooting.

Now comes the real good ones. Check out sites related to the real combat schools, these are just the ones I know or can recall at the moment. Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, Lethan Force Institute, Valhalla, etc... These are just the ones I know of in the USA. There may be more in other countries. I know Israel is one of our (India's) defense partners and I honestly think they're one of the best and I'm sure they offer training services to their allies.

I hope you find this useful.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:59 am

Sharief,

While I agree with every single name you have posted here, I am not sure that books or websites could teach what the various institutions do. Gunsite was, after all, the location where Jeff Cooper taught his modern method of pistol shooting which blew away the older Rex Applegate and other methods and inspired virtually every later method that followed. They do train soldiers and professional bodyguards and instructors from about 50 different countries - would it be difficult for India to send someone there for training? Also, I think another great master of the sport, Massad Ayoob recently tied up with SIG to do a series of courses.

Perhaps, the GoI needs to send instructors to one or another of these institutes to train.

Cheers!

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:39 am

The NSG and SPG are co-related.The SPG is there to provide protection to the PM and his family members and ex-PM's and the NSG to carry out anti-terrorist operations.Incresingly,the NSG is being used to provide protection to VIP's.A task it was not really designed to perform.The NSG was modeled on the G.S.G. 9 antiterrorist group of West Germany,a lean organisation headed by a young officer.The NSG has bloated to the extent that now it has an officer of the rank of DG NSG heading it.This is the website of the NSG http://nsg.gov.in Look at the Composition bit and you see how they have no physical fitness standards for the officers :wink:

Doesn't look like they need any training though.Just a scaple to trim off the flab.

penpusher

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:11 pm

penpusher";p="21558 wrote:The NSG and SPG are co-related.The SPG is there to provide protection to the PM and his family members and ex-PM's and the NSG to carry out anti-terrorist operations.Incresingly,the NSG is being used to provide protection to VIP's.A task it was not really designed to perform.The NSG was modeled on the G.S.G. 9 antiterrorist group of West Germany,a lean organisation headed by a young officer.The NSG has bloated to the extent that now it has an officer of the rank of DG NSG heading it.This is the website of the NSG http://nsg.gov.in Look at the Composition bit and you see how they have no physical fitness standards for the officers :wink:

Doesn't look like they need any training though.Just a scaple to trim off the flab.

penpusher
Both organizations have degenerated pretty significantly over the years. Its the typical result of the babu mentality- Bloated to carry out inane duties beyond their original intent. As I observe, their training regimen has for both has as a consequence been watered down and 'Indianized' quite a bit. The NSG, from an elite unit of India's best has become virtually metamorphosed into just another fancy dress CPO.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:53 pm

Yours truly had a chance to shoot with a designated marksman/sniper of the NSG in 1990 or there abouts.Got a better score than him.Lost all faith in the abilities of the organisation then and there.

penpusher