stopping power

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
Rudra
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

stopping power

Post by Rudra » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:29 pm

The term stopping power basically means- to block or stop the enemy and bring him down on his knees at the moment the bullet is pumped in his body.
Now bullets are generally of two types - jacketed and non jacketed (though some semi jacketed models are also available) . The jacketed bullets are harder having a higher penetration rate, so they easily get ejected out from the body causing injury but not the blocking thump to the enemy. The non jacketed ones are softer and so the get blocked inside the body causing injury and at the same time the fatal thump which ultimately stops the enemy at that time itself.(the hollow points do this more efficiently) so if u wish to have the stopping power just use non jacketed bullets :evil: and u will see that even .32 is a damn powerful killing stuff.(by the way i pray to god that non of us should never get an opportunity to shoot a person in the whole span of life)

For Advertising mail webmaster
snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:32 am

There was a program in National Geographic about different bullets and their effects - the Hollow point is the best one for immediate stopping effect.
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:35 am

Ok Guys, read up on wound ballistics-google 'dimaio and wound ballistics'
Stopping power is not just dependant on bullet type, but, as has been proven, velocity, shot placement, anatomy... A hollow point in the hand will not knock down most adult humans and PCP addicts in US have taken a recorded 17 hits with 357 mag 125gr HP before their nervous system switched off
Gory stuff, enjoy.
The world has a million definitions about bullet profile, composition, terminal ballsitics and ad nauseum...
Basic point is the old theory of BIG and slow-as in big game cartridges delivered a smashing wallop, until the school of 'fast and furious' tried to do it their way.The 300 Weatherby magnum is a prime example of this.
Cant just finish with one post, I'm sure this will see a lot of action
Easy formula to compute Muzzle Energy from the bullet weight and velocity is
Velocity x Velocity/ 450240x wt of bullet in grains.
eg
150 gr bullet at 2700FPS would give ME of
2700x 2700/450240x150
Approx 2428 FP energy
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: stopping power

Post by Grumpy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:47 pm

I`d already decuded that I wasn`t getting involved with this thread because of the list of misconceptions involved........But I`m glad that someone has stepped in.
Thanks Asif.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:04 pm

Just did a quick 'sole check' Grumpy, still no kaka! ;)
Rudra/ Sniper et al:
Growing old, forgot the old great Martin Fackler-add him to your google list if you're proceeding further...
Axx

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:16 pm

Rudra";p="25215 wrote:The term stopping power basically means- to block or stop the enemy and bring him down on his knees at the moment the bullet is pumped in his body.
Now bullets are generally of two types - jacketed and non jacketed (though some semi jacketed models are also available) . The jacketed bullets are harder having a higher penetration rate, so they easily get ejected out from the body causing injury but not the blocking thump to the enemy. The non jacketed ones are softer and so the get blocked inside the body causing injury and at the same time the fatal thump which ultimately stops the enemy at that time itself.(the hollow points do this more efficiently) so if u wish to have the stopping power just use non jacketed bullets :evil: and u will see that even .32 is a damn powerful killing stuff.(by the way i pray to god that non of us should never get an opportunity to shoot a person in the whole span of life)
Please don't post trollop. Read some more before you write. Where did you get your facts from? Fatal thump? I almost died laughing.

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:43 pm

"just did a quick 'sole check' Grumpy, still no kaka! Wink
Rudra/ Sniper et al:
Growing old, forgot the old great Martin Fackler-add him to your google list if you're proceeding further...
Axx"

Ah Asif thanks that was good - managed to locate a few pdfs too that we can download and go thru
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:08 pm

I remember a discussion on another forum once in which some contributors were absolutely convinced that Martin Fackler was a `wind-up` name and that the good doctor wasn`t a real person !
A little, I suppose, like the `great` `Haggler & Kocker` debate ....................

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:41 pm

Well he isn't ;-), he's actually a special software called T.R.A.U.M.A.

trojan. automatic. updated . menacing. argonaut

dev

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:33 pm

"trojan. automatic. updated . menacing. argonaut"

You know, I suspect that doc has a really poor bedside manner !

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:33 pm

Trojan ; as in the computer virus something or the prophylactics? ;)

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

t r

Post by dev » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:01 pm

eljefe";p="25582 wrote:Trojan ; as in the computer virus something or the prophylactics? ;)
ze virus cause I can't spell the ppphhhhhhhhhh. :lol:

dev

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:39 pm

I thought you were referring to the Trojan warriors, the inhabitants of Troy and kidnappers of Helen.

BTW, `Prophylactic`- pronounced `R U B B E R`.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:20 pm

(-; ;-) ;-)

Yup the ones skilled at making big wood horses.

Dev

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:22 pm

Er, no actually - the ones dumb enough to accept a hollow wooden horse full of Greek warriors ! :lol: :lol: