Sticky situations you have been in

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
mehulkamdar

Sticky situations you have been in

Post by mehulkamdar » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:18 pm

This is to post in response to the discussions on the self defense thread about sticky situations someone may have been in. If you have and if you have hints for the membership on this issue in a very dangerous world, please post. No puffing please.

Mehul

For Advertising mail webmaster
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:17 pm

As your footer puts it so aptly Mehul,
this reason is even more magnified in India where gun control laws are so iffy and anti gun...Call me a coward , but I would back off and run-no testosterone assay required!
Most of our replies seem to lean towards big and heavy-center mass take down and ofcourse a fair bit of "I wish I had this gun..." I head this category!
I survived both attempts at mugging because I WAS MAD-at being struck, at the situation-I could not run/ back off and I had to face it!

The S African experience was in a badly lit carpark, mugger was a biggish built young male and a female (Mack The Knife, still an MCP?) I was asked for a light, both grabbed me, i fell backwards on the female(down with the raised eyebrows you lot!it was unintentional!!) kicked out at the male in front, probably in the goolies, major screaming from both parties and another couple came into the lot, they started screaming and running towards me , my attackers fled.I had a sore back and a sore jaw, scratch marks on my neck(oh , so romantic!), hoarse voice and life/limb/car intact.

Bangalore-1999-2 am, coming back from an emergency, (I had borrowed my sis' kinetic scooter to run to work,was waved down by 2 males, supporting a third, asking for "hospital" -which was Bowring Hospital 200m away.So i stopped , turned to point out the way and all 3 jumped me-I guess i went under, struggled a bit and struck out with my room key-(it was an old style 6' key) connected many times, lots of screamingI was bleeding from nose , mouth , L thumb was at an awkard angle, they ran, I picked up my bike and drove home, checked my state, called for help and went for a ct scan etc..I still have the CT scan showing fracture of Right orbit, cheek,an astute plastic surgeon will quickly absolve me of being born ugly, road rash marks on my L , fractured cheek and thumb hurts after long surgeries!!
In retrospection,
1.I'm glad I wasnt packing a gun! Most likely, I wouldnt have used it, and if the trolls had gotten to it, they might have shot me or run away with it!
2.Had I used a firearm, the onus, in India, would have been on me; to prove that I was attacked with a force deadly enough to retaliate with a firearm-like I have to be in Nagasaki or something! Morton Grove its not!
I knew I had a weapon in that key in my pocket and used it...
3.Even a knife-prefer a small folder-Until the Spyderco,had a 2.5 inch buck- hopefully the cops dont label you a 'Rampuri knifer'
4.Since Cobra pepper spray came out-I am a major votary and have given away that stuff to many of my female colleagues and nurse etc.
Wife carries one in her purse and I'm comfortable.
I was saving this for the life experiences chapter of my book-what the 'ell, here goes..
May it never happen to anyone
Best
Axx
[/quote]
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

reposted !

Post by eljefe » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:01 pm

Hi Guys,
This board has been dormant a while...That was an excellent link about the state of preparedness, what I remember reading in Massad Ayoob and Jeff Cooper's articles over the years, and as Mack The Knife puts it succintly-in a ring , we are mentally prepared, but being put to the test in a relatively unprepared scenario is the usual happening.
I've been mugged twice-once in durban, SA and once in our very own Bangalore-Main guard cross road at 2 am! survived both without being a black belt or carrying a gun.Had facial fractures, including a fractured orbit and cheek bone and NO-I did not give away my wallet or watch!
To this day, I will keep my right hand free when going up to my car in a parking lot-lit or unlit and if I'm with family,ensure that one of us is carrying the chilly spray in an accessible position.I might as well say it-the reason I started getting myself all the folders is also the same-a damn sight better than being accused of carrying a big fixed blade! ( and the spyderco opens like a dream.)
I was walking with family inside a mall here in Noida , when a ? drunk guy started orbiting us-on his 2nd chukkar, i deliberately and slowly pulled out and opened the spyderco police model, took the can of pepper spray from my wife and faced him-not in the Rambo position-knife held inwards along my forearm- he knew I wasnt joking and disappeared.All this in full public view.
I feel, having been on the receiving end or in a sticky situation,unless one is trained like the SPG/NSG to ONLY be aware of the situation ALL THE TIME and probably pop off 3000 rounds a month, no civilian one can be so reactive.
As for the time dilation, tunnel vision -They happen-believe me!been there , done that...No, I do not practice a 1000 cuts a day, a la the samurai, but with the constraints of protecting my family within available means, I will, if I use my knife and pepper spray, obviously go for the G spot!! :twisted:

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

heck doc.

Post by dev » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:37 pm

There I was suddenly feeling safe. So I am glad that you got away with your looks the second time :lol:

I am guilty of loitering often in the sector 18 mall with nothing more than my ugly mug and the car keys. Think I need to keep my shrade old timer close to me. I am just so scared of knives and other sharp weapons.

Pepper spray sounds very good. I am gonna get some. Asif next time I'll address you with even more respect...gawd you survived three on one attacks and two on one attacks, I think your brother's knowledge rubbed off somewhere. Scary thought a Doc with a knife 8)

Regards,

DEV
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

FAO-Dev

Post by eljefe » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:26 pm

Dev,
Bro Arif has 8th dan in 2 disciplines and he looks like a cuddly teddy!
next time you go into that 98.4 pharmacy near H pocket, pick up the cobra pepper spray.Abt 400 per can.
Me I am only trying to get out of harm's way :twisted: -ER in western UP is not fun :twisted: -Doc with a knife-been fascinated by knives-especially the surgical blades-Use one almost every day-profesionally! :lol:
Lets catch up for the 'King Rusty crow fest'?
Axx

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: FAO-Dev

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:43 pm

Bro Arif has 8th dan in 2 disciplines.
Catering and hospitality.

:mrgreen:

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:16 pm

Wot did 'e stuff you with, mate?
:D
Best
Axx

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:36 am

4 muggers tried to mug me (my cell phone) in leicester square late night a few months back.
In times of stress, body responds in 3 ways :

fright (freeze)
flight
fight.

unless one is conditioned, (army, police in fights, doctors in emergencies, fire fighters) we dont have much control as to how we will react the first time we confront it.
i stupidly chose to fight.
luckily for me they responded by fright.
i suppose they never expected a thin guy to challange 4 guys.

in retrospect im not very proud of it as i could hav been hurt, considering the knife crime figures in uk.
i immediately even reported them to the police but the only de.scription was "5'10" black males in jeans and hoodies, trainers" wasnt good enough for the police.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Sticky situations you have been in

Post by Grumpy » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:25 am

"Sticky situations you have been in" ?

Couldn`t possibly tell you........but some of the husbands were really big fellows !

( :wink: :wink: :lol: LOL ! )

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:26 am

What was your modus operandi? Plumber?

Oh the puns....

:mrgreen:

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:47 am

So Grumpy's been in and out of it :wink: The thrill of the forbidden fruit :lol:
If you love honey,why be afraid of the bees :wink: XXXL size is good.Makes running away a lot easier :mrgreen: Gun control has it's advantages.No behind full of buckshot :mrgreen:

penpusher

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:51 pm

So Grumpy's been in and out of it :wink:
LMAO.

Dirty old man that he is...

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:24 am

penpusher, you certainly call a spade a spade don`t you ?
You obviously doesn`t believe in subtlety...........Somehow I think that you could have been just a little less blatently obvious mate !
:lol:

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:38 am

Sorry for being so crass and vulgar :mrgreen: Obviously lacking in court manners.Any tips on where I can acquire some 'Nawabi' polish.Perhaps I can get a shoe company to sponsor my lessons :lol:

penpusher

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:20 am

Dubai ?