Fighting Back!

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Fighting Back!

Post by xl_target » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:02 pm

Interesting techniques. They seem very simple but effective.
Click Here
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
Zoo
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Fighting Back!

Post by Zoo » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:25 pm

That site only streams videos to users inside the US. Alternative link??

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:19 pm

Sorry about that. All I can offer is this:
National Geographic's Fight Science page
There are some episodes viewable on here if you go to the videos tab. Not the self defense videos that I originally pointed to but...
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

full_circle
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by full_circle » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:27 am

xl_target,
Thankxx for the post.
I was browsing the net and came across the Fight Science episode, wanted to post the link here, but saw your post.
Nice program, good techniques.
Mohali & Pune | NRAI Life Member | IOF .32 Mark 2 | Beretta DT11 | .22 coming soon

IndiansForGuns
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by IndiansForGuns » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:29 am

If you can react to situation fast, you can save your self without a gun. Unfortunately, a lot of victims don't know what is happening till they are tied up with ropes or asked to pull their bottoms off. :cry:
Over feminine women of India are biggest weakness of the country - Mahatma Vinit.

kartik8
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by kartik8 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:28 am

try the book named the poor mans james bond. it has some great self defence techniques.
i have this book as a torrent file. give me your email if you need it.

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:58 pm

kartik8 wrote:try the book named the poor mans james bond. it has some great self defence techniques.
i have this book as a torrent file. give me your email if you need it.
better stay away as far as possible from such books and never advice it to others
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

kartik8
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by kartik8 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:28 pm

can you give me the reason for your valuable advice subal sir.....

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:21 pm

kartik8 wrote:can you give me the reason for your valuable advice subal sir.....

To find yourself, think for yourself. by Socrates
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

kartik8
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by kartik8 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:11 pm

Subal das wrote:
kartik8 wrote:can you give me the reason for your valuable advice subal sir.....

To find yourself, think for yourself. by Socrates
:deadhorse:

thats my reply to you!!!!!

slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:53 pm

I agree with Subal and I mean no disrespect to anyone else on this forum or thread.

As a long term student of Krav Maga (and I mean no disrespect to any other combat form either), I can vouch that we do not relate to books during a situation of physical stress. There are usually 4 possible levels of physical threat :

1. Competition : Usually, governed by rules and there is no major threat to life. I do not mean that people in MMA or boxing or other combat linked sports do not get hurt. They do. However, the intent is to compete, showcase skill and the sparring is usually governed by rules that safeguard the competitors from definite death.

2. One on one upmanship : This is usually what you see in Bars or on the road. Heated tempers, lots of shouting, jostling, pushing. There might be a possibility of more than one attacker. However there are possibly people who will intervene and separate the parties or might join in the fisticuffs. This situation has a higher risk of physical harm than the first situation. This is street fight or a bar brawl and the situation is free flowing. Chairs, bottles and other improvised weapons could be in use. However the threat of losing ones life is somewhat remote as this is again a situation where there are witnesses, police, parties that can intervene and better counsel can prevail after tempers are cooled down.

3. Definite physical harm : Now this is a bad situation. I can assure you that you will get hurt. This is premeditated and you could be in the wrong place at the wrong time. For example you have just arrived at a lane where 3 muggers are waiting for a victim. There are usually more than one assailant, they will be armed and if it is knifes, you will be definitely cut. Only a high level of training and repeated practice that allows your body to ingrain the technique into muscle memory can help you get out of this. No book can help. There is no thinking, remembering or planning. You are simply flowing, reacting, attacking, knowing fully well that you will get hurt, but with the singular determination to survive and cut down the opposition without any remorse or hesitation. You are the weapon.

4. Armed combat : This is when you are in armed combat in the military, para-military against an enemy. It is kill or be killed.

As a rule, please only train for situation 3 and situation 4. The first two situations will take care of themselves if you follow this approach. Please learn a blade technique. Possibly the Kerambit in Silat Gayong or a cut, thrust, slash technique. Also, know how to handle a firearm. In situation 3, you will be surprised to know that most criminals have a point and shoot technique. Crude. It might help you to neutralise the situation if you can learn some basic disarming and accurate shooting.

This approach takes practice and time. But then we all have one life. Why lose it to some street trash with a bad knife!
There is no downside to Freedom!

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:58 pm

very nice post. I would vouch it is best self defense post I ever read on this board. waiting for more !!! :cheers:
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:24 pm

Thank you Subal :)
There is no downside to Freedom!

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:04 pm

I agree with most parts howeverthe first situation is actually not a situation. The second if you can help it , you can get out of it smartly... but yes third and the fourth is what one should mentally prepare , visualize , plan , think and enact scenarios.Karv maga is pretty good on the street and coupled with a gun and knife and having trained well with both is surely increasing your chances of getting out with minimal damage.
One must also remember in the third and fourth situation ,you are against pretty serious threat and your intentions should be clear... serious injury and death of the opponent... if you shy and show hesitation you will become a part of the statistics. Pull out the knife when you surely want to slash and stab , pull out the gun when you absolutely positively have to kill the S_B's .Be absolutely clear in your head and act accordingly.
Just don't let a fender bender be reasons to pull out a gun... also do not pull out your gun and knife in a fist fight. Be a man and throw some good punches and kicks most of these get over quickly and the damages are few a black eye and a bleeding nose for one or both the parties.Solve the situation the way men have been sorting out their differences for ages.However do pull out you blade and gun when you see the situation is so bad that you will be seriously injured and the fight is getting dirty enough where serious injury and loss of life situation is arising.
I dont dial 911... I dial .357