Pics of Some very fine guns of IFG member Shahid

Here you can post images from your favorite events, places, yourself or your family to share with other site members.
vishosingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vishosingh » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:07 pm

congrats for the gurudom danish,
and i guess on hearing the feedback on the khairuddin gun i agree with sahid bhai about sticking to the better made guns,.
am also planning to sell the modern o/u as soon as i am able to collect 2.5 odd lac of rupees.
anybody willing to donate is welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hehehe
An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

For Advertising mail webmaster
monty3006
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by monty3006 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:14 pm

hey nice pics and great guns !!!!!!!!!!!

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Pics of Some very fine guns of IFG member Shahid

Post by kanwar76 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:25 pm

Hey nice guns Shahid... :)

And thanks Danish for posting them..oh and before I forget congrats for Gurudom :wink:

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by z375 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:19 pm

Danish,

That's a nice .270, where did you get the stock made? if the guy who'd made your stock had kept the grip "open" as in the Classic style, you wouldn't have had to raise the comb so high.

Just my 2 cents.

regards,

Zubin
"With solid bullets on heavy animals such as elephant, rhino and buffalo this power is quite apparent but is not so obvious as when soft-nose bullets are being used, say, lion, particularly when is a case of stopping a charge : the .404 will stop him all right, but will seldom crumple him quite so completely as will the .416" -- John Taylor, Big Game and Big Game Rifles, (Ch. IX)

danish21
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by danish21 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:02 pm

z375";p="16652 wrote: where did you get the stock made?
Zubin
The stock is made in dehradun, that gun smith is damm good.

Danish

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:19 am

As far as this moderator is concerned I have no comment on whether an Indian gun can have Spanish barrels - I`ve never seen such a gun to be able to say anything on the subject. I would point out though that while many Indian based members seem to regard Spanish barrels as an indication of quality, in Europe they are regarded as second rate and if fitted to an English gun they absolutely destroy the value. It is only in recent years that quality Spanish guns have been made......and still only one O/U, the Kemen.
Some nice guns pictured. Is the H.J.Hussey an Imperial ? As a matter of interest, why say that the Army & Navy was built by James Purdey ? The idea that Purdey - regarded by most British shooters as Englands premier gunmaker - should make guns for the Army & Navy Co-operative is ridiculous. Army & Navy had their guns made in Birmingham by a whole host of trade makers including Scotts, Webley ( and later Webley & Scott of course ) Saunders and so on. Apart from the fact that Purdeys were not trade makers, a Purdey would have cost almost double any gun labelled `Army & Navy`. I`m prepared to concede that the Army & Navy Co-operative might have supplied a Purdey to a foreign based client but any such gun would be labelled `James Purdey & Sons` with no mention of the Army & Navy as Purdeys would not have allowed anyone else to put their name on a Purdey gun.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:38 pm

Hey Danish,

How much he took for making that stock and what type of wood is used.

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

danish21
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by danish21 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:19 pm

kanwar76";p="16788 wrote: How much he took for making that stock and what type of wood is used.
He took 20,000 Rs for blueing and stock. But the rifle in as new as seen in the showroom. I am not sure about the wood.. i will ask and the let you know.

Danish

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:38 pm

danish21";p="16802 wrote:
kanwar76";p="16788 wrote: How much he took for making that stock and what type of wood is used.
He took 20,000 Rs for blueing and stock. But the rifle in as new as seen in the showroom. I am not sure about the wood.. i will ask and the let you know.

Danish

Oh..so he did bluing too.. what blueing is it..cold or....

-Inder

shahid

Post by shahid » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:14 am

It is deliberately made that way, to suit the individual style and L of pull. The original WIN stock that came with it is also there. This was puchased from AT Dowe of Jamshedpore in 1980s. Not a very good rifle for Indian conditions. Give me a .275 ( 7 x 57 ) anyday.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:16 am

Grumpy,

After I suggested this, one of the moderators did contact Roscoe Stephenson, an authority on fine guns and the owner, perhaps, of the largest collection of double guns in the world. The claim of the A&N gun being made by Purdey is complete BS and there is more than enough background information to confirm this. Roscoe took time to point out the design differences between the Beesley patent design as used by Purdey and the gun in question. This is not to decry a nice gun but BS does not a Ccamry a Lamborghini make.

If there is any more tall talk on this, I shall make it a point to post Roscoe's reply which I know has already been sent to the original poster making this claim.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:38 am

Grumpy

Some one in India mentioned Spanish gun Kemen to me and I said naa never heard about it ..he again called his friend to confirm the name..guess so now I know.

My experience Smith and Wesson imported 12 g Pump action from Spain..well it had problems suffice to say.

Rgds

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:16 am

There are some decent guns being made in Spain NOWADAYS - Arrizabalaga, Grulla, Arrieta, AYA ( ranked in that order ) all make good sidelocks and Zabala are making good value for money guns however there has been an awful lot of crap made in Spain. The trouble is also that until recently Spanish gunmaking was organised as a series of co-operatives with individual gunmakers making parts of guns or whole guns. This meant that consistency was impossible to arrange as certain small British gunmakers and gunsmiths found when importing Spanish barrels - they`d get a few good examples followed by a load of rubbish. So bad that the market for Spanish barrels died a death. The Kemen is the only quality Spanish O/U ...... with a price to match. Made by the same company who used to make the guns for the Spanish automatic trap makers.......whose name I forget - VIKRAM !
Yup, I remember the Spanish made S&W pump gun Navi. Had a very poor reputation.

shahid

Post by shahid » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:13 pm

Mehul you are not the only authority on guns. Please look for proper records before making a statement. Take the gun number, pay GBP 30 at Army & Navy and find out. Alternatively look up on the net at U of Newcastle archives who maintain it for Army & Navy.

I told you before, I have no faith in internet sources. Most internet data is inaccurate. I would trust the gunmaker's records or authentic published books and records instead.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:28 pm

" Most internet data is innaccurate. I would trust the gunmaker's records or authentic published books and records instead."

Doesn`t matter which source is used because nowhere will it say that your Army & Navy shotgun was made by James Purdey because that is a downright fallacy.

I don`t know why you are talking about the University of Newcastle because they have nothing to do with the matter. The records of the Army & Navy Co-operative Society Gun Department from 1890 to 1942 are held by the Archives and Business Records Centre of the University of Glasgow. The records are not `maintained for the Army & Navy` because the Army & Navy Co-operative Society ceased to exist in 1973 when it was taken over by the House of Fraser who donated the records to the University however the sale of hand guns ceased in 1965 and long arms - rifles and shotguns - many years before that.