Chérie - a German Shorthaired Pointer

Here you can post images from your favorite events, places, yourself or your family to share with other site members.
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Chérie - a German Shorthaired Pointer

Post by mundaire » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:41 pm

Being inspired by the thread on Rotties, thought I'd post the photos of the latest addition to our family. Her name is Chérie and she's five and a half months old (been with us since early June) :)
IMG_6043.JPG
IMG_6045.JPG
IMG_6050.JPG
IMG_6087.JPG
IMG_6093.JPG
P.S. - A little info on the breed here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Shorthaired_Pointer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Re: German Shorthaired Pointer

Post by prashantsingh » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:46 pm

Lovely snaps.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Chérie - a German Shorthaired Pointer

Post by xl_target » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:59 am

Only five and half months?
It looks like she's going to be a big girl when she grows up.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:56 am

Thank you Prashant :)

XL, she's about 19 kgs now. The breed max for females is 27 kilos, so I am guessing that from here on her growth will be at a slower pace.

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

joydeepm
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by joydeepm » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:19 am

Good breed . A little unsuitable for urban life maybe - but very good with family and kids . Needs LOTS of exercise and can chew things to hell if bored . Had one myself . I got a Golden in May . Her name is Muffin .

Congrats and best wishes for Cherie .

Joydeep
If you want to shoot , shoot . Don't talk .....

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:25 am

mundaire wrote:Being inspired by the thread on Rotties, thought I'd post the photos of the latest addition to our family. Her name is Chérie and she's five and a half months old (been with us since early June) :)
IMG_6043.JPG
IMG_6045.JPG
IMG_6050.JPG
IMG_6087.JPG
IMG_6093.JPG
P.S. - A little info on the breed here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Shorthaired_Pointer
Very nice Abhijeet :D , thanks for sharing the pics. Have'nt seen these before, at least not in Mumbai. Weimaraners (not sure if the spelling is right) are quite popular here. This is a hunting breed, the instinct to fetch etc. must be quite strong. Do pointers freeze in that classic Pointer Dog Pose naturally on seeing some bird or animal ? Did you import her...

Best
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:06 am

Nice puppy!! The quizzical expression in the first pic is priceless!! And who's the big bruiser trying to "kiss" her?
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:21 am

@Joy - was it a German Shorthaired you had or was it an English Pointer? Both are very energetic and require lots of exercise! :)

@Moin - a friend's friend imported a breeding pair from Germany 2 yrs back, she's from the first litter. She has fantastic temprament and is always ready to please (read easy to train). While German Shorthaired's are supposed to be an all round hunting dog (point/ flush/ retrieve), their retrieving instinct isn't as strong as that of a proper retriever and may require a bit more training on that aspect. She does naturally strike the classic "point" pose, but I haven't started any fieldwork training yet... That will come a little later :)

@essdee - that 'big bruiser' is my nephew's dog, Connor. The both of them love each others company, though it's somewhat tragic for Connor that all of his girlfriends grow up to be at least twice his size! ;)

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:33 am

that 'big bruiser' is my nephew's dog, Connor. The both of them love each others company, though it's somewhat tragic for Connor that all of his girlfriends grow up to be at least twice his size!
Is it a common characteristic of the pug-nosed breeds? I see a pug in the neighborhood who's always running after GSD and Lab females!! I remember a similar anecdote in one of Herriot's books, too.

You seem to have substantial open area in your place.... will be good for Cherie!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

Vassili Zaitsev
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Vassili Zaitsev » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:08 pm

She is so adorable. :D Nice and loved the fight with the pug pics..
I am planning to buy a Fila in January 2013 and following up with the breeder from last 1year.

All the best.
"Everything that has a beginning, has an end !!!"

Prabhath
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Prabhath » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:00 pm

Abhijeet,

Lovely pics and all the very best. One small thing.......noticed in the first pic that the pup's pasterns look a lil on the weaker side. Are you giving her any calcium supplements? If not, please refer a vet and start the pup on some supplements.

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:39 pm

You got a pretty young lady here Abhijeet.... really enjoyed the pics

Cheers

TC

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:49 pm

mundaire wrote:
@Moin - a friend's friend imported a breeding pair from Germany 2 yrs back, she's from the first litter. She has fantastic temprament and is always ready to please (read easy to train). While German Shorthaired's are supposed to be an all round hunting dog (point/ flush/ retrieve), their retrieving instinct isn't as strong as that of a proper retriever and may require a bit more training on that aspect. She does naturally strike the classic "point" pose, but I haven't started any fieldwork training yet... That will come a little

Cheers!
Abhijeet
You must post a pic of the young lady in the Classic Pose, when you get a chance. Are there trainers available in India to teach dogs to point or flush birds ? I would assume even if not trained, the instinct would get her to do this, much like a GSD or a Rott gets protective being guard breeds.

Thanks
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:05 am

Are there trainers available in India to teach dogs to point or flush birds ?
Moin, hunting is BANNED in India, so why do you need a dog (pointer or otherwise) to point or flush? :twisted: Might be good if you are into wildlife photography, however. :wink:
much like a GSD or a Rott gets protective being guard breeds
Mine gets quite protective at times, even without any training at all in this aspect!!
Cheers!

EssDee

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:50 am

@ Moin & essdee - I am training her myself, so far it has been basic obedience but will train her for the field as well. While hunting is banned, dog field trials are not... and it is a real joy to see a working dog doing what he/ she was bred for! First up on my training agenda is basic retrieves, progressively making it harder by hiding the dummy(s) forcing her to use scent and not sight etc. Then will work on pointing, holding a point, flushing etc.

@ essdee - I do have a small front yard and a (smaller) back yard, but have a half acre park right next door which isn't used much by the residents (there are 4 other parks in the block which are more popular with residents). This park is the de facto play area for our/ our neighbours dogs :) As she gets a little older, plan to take her out on a daily bike run through the dirt tracks in the south Delhi ridge as well (less than a Km from my place). As to the Pug, don't know enough to offer a comment on the breed as a whole, but Connor doesn't seem to be aware of his size (or lack thereof) ;)

@ Vassili Zaitsev - interesting choice of breed, there can't be many of those in India.

@ Prabath - I do give her a daily calcium supplement mixed in her food once a day, am wary of overdoing it as the vet warned me that too much calcium can cause skeletal problems.

@ Vassili Zaitsev, Prabath, TC - thank you for your kind words :)

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in