How to repair a broken fishing rod

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

How to repair a broken fishing rod

Post by mundaire » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:14 am

Back in March 2011, I'd ordered a 15 lbs 2-piece Shakespeare Ugly Stik Spinning Rod from Cabelas. IIRC it retailed at that time for US $30 and tacking on the usual Cabelas shipping and import duties (here) it finally landed home at about twice the price. Anyhow, as it happened soon after it coming home the two pieces got "jammed" together and while attempting to dismantle it, the ferrule got completely destroyed (see picture).
broken_ferrule.jpg
So I had this broken rod lying around for the past few years and I'd almost forgotten about it till I moved house late last year. Anyhow, so while sorting through my stuff at the new place, I realised I had this lying around and I thought I may as well try and see if it could be made in to something useful!

First step was was to align the two pieces together and use a very small amount of loctite/ feviquick to "lock them" together - so that the main repair could begin.

Second step was to give the entire joint area a mild coat of epoxy (I used areldite) - see photo.
areldite_coat.jpg
Third step take a bit of strong twine (I used #30 braid) to make a strong "whipping" around the joint. The way to do this is to take a start point and hold one end of your braid there (a small bit of scotch tape helps hold it in place - see photo),
whipping_start.jpg
run it straight down the length of the repair and from that point on start to wind it back to the start point. Once you read the start point, you wind all the way back - giving the whole thing a double "wind". If you search for a few videos on how to attach a "guide" on to a fishing rod you should be able to get a fair idea about how to go about it.

Once this winding was done, I gave the entire repair another coat of epoxy and allowed it to cure overnight.
1st_coat_epoxy_cured.jpg
Next day, I used another twine I had with me - a weaker but slightly thicker everyday type of thin nylon cord - I probably could have done without this step, but I just wanted to give the joint a double "coat".

So once again I gave the entire joint a full wind and then a half wind on the way back (about 3-4 times the space between each wind on the way back and then tucked it in as I would have done for a line guide. Then gave the entire joint one more coat of epoxy and allowed it to cure 24 hours.
final_curing.jpg
Done! Now you have a functional one piece rod, which hopefully should give you some years of service. Better than throwing it away - eh? :)

Cheers
Abhijeet
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: How to repair a broken fishing rod

Post by nagarifle » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:28 am

nice work mate, thanks for sharing, i normally get lost at the whipping stage, even my boy scout knots fail when it comes to whipping as the knot i use does not remain tight.

when our rods breaks we change it for the new one, just go to the back yard and cut bamboo, five minutes we have a new rod. lol
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:49 am

when is the field trial
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:26 am

Already been tested (last month) @ the family pond. It held up well for carp weighing upto 1.5 - 2 kgs. I guess we can call the repair a success! ;-)

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:02 am

NIce job.what material is your fishing rod?i think you have done enough to keep it together.
And you had a success fishing :cheers:
regards
dr.jk

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:43 pm

Ugly sticks are made of a fibre glass type composite. Yep, maybe it was a bit of overkill for a 15lbs cheapo rod... :-)

www.gunowners.in

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:48 am

Nice one...
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

abhrankash
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by abhrankash » Fri May 29, 2015 1:40 am

Recently I am at BBSR its the fishing season now in east India from summer to winter within few days I will be getting my fishing rod from shimano shipped at my door step. I have booked through a local company now I will start repairing my old one near to my house I have three to 4 rivers within he distance on 40 km its easy to go by cycle. Hope to post some good pics with big catch.
ABHRANKASH

Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
Winston Churchill