Hunt: Africa 2011

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Hunt: Africa 2011

Post by Safarigent » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:25 pm

I was supposed to write a post on polo today, but i will start that once i am finished with my hunt posts. after this one i will have one more left.
DAY 6

Today was crisis day. I was required back in India in 3 days time. Which left today for the hunting, tomorrow for the travelling and i would be in Delhi on the third day.
Coming down in the morning, i met priscilla and saw her wearing a fleece jacket, which had the Umdende logo and her name under it. The jacket was black and the embroidery was in gold thread. Very striking. I immediately knew what i was taking back with me to India. I asked caerie and herman if the jackets and embroidery could be arranged by today evening. They said that they would let Clay know by afternoon. I wanted to make dinner that night so i told priscilla to get the ingredients i wanted. Breakfast beckoned. Full cream milk over muesli and honey. Two cans of breakfast juice. Stole one can of flavoured yoghurt going out and Shikari Shambhu was good to go! We went outside. Me and Leon arranged the Lunch box and played with the dogs. There were two dogs at the manor. One was a lovely black labrador retriever. A german trained gundog, he was a machine! How funny it feels to give a dog commands in german!!!
The other one was hilarious, he is, i believe the worlds first shy rhodesian ridgeback. he had been rescued from a dog shelter and that perhaps explained his actions. He was a fearsome guard dog, but he wouldn't come near you. No matter what! you call his name and he hides around a corner. A lovely bundle of energy, but always at ten feet distance. Not once did i manage to touch him, although i did sit and admire him move. the athleticism of animals and the interplay of their muscles holds a lot of delight for me. the sheer fluidity and grace of this dog while moving, even though he was nervous was a sheer delight to watch. I tried enticing him with a piece of dried sausage, but to no avail and popped it into my mouth instead. This sausage is a lot like chewing gum, only you dont chew it, you just keep it in your mouth and wet it and worry it with your teeth and wait for the flavours to emerge. The fat rich sausage is a staple of the locals and has historically been associated with the independent minded boers. Indeed each boer house would make their own special type. The boer commando used to carry their own supply, and thus relying on dehydrated rations were one of the first forces in the world to do so. The ones i was having were made by Claytons father and were made of Blue wildebeest. Along with the Biltong these were my favourite food of the trip.
Clayton joins us outside. We bundled up in the truck and off we were. Leon was fast asleep in the rear and i was trying to take in all i could of the scenery.
After twenty odd minutes we reached the farm, picked up Impatie(smiley, whom i gave my hat to) he is a serial wrecker of boots and clay buys him a pair of gumboots every two months or so. today he had come in an old paired of DMS like boots. The old ones had given up. These men know an extremely hard existence. While shikari shambhu goes for a week and tramps about in a truck till he spots game, these seven men are responsible for a boundary fencing an area of 3500 hectares! Plus patrolling the game reserve and looking after the equipment and such sundry stuff. They walk the whole fence every week! And all of this in Blinding rain, freezing sleet and burning heat. There are no roads and these men go where even horses dont!I made a mental note to tip all these simple, straightforward men handsomely when i go. They were the eyes and ears of Clayton and i would not have had half as successful a hunt without these guys. Mentally handicapped smiley was, but he was no lazy boy. (pun intended)
We met Kahtie. We were after Mboonga today. The biggest antelope in Africa, also known as the Common Eland. There were a few on the farm and we were off to have a look if we could get close to them. Surprisingly for such big animals they were alert and suspicious like the little duikers and steinboks! a russian client had closed to 50 yards last year and i was hoping to repeat his luck.
Almost straightaway we got lucky and spotted a small herd of eland. They were mostly females and were in the distance. The sun wasnt bright enough to make out their horns so we decided to risk it and take a closer look. As it turned out, they were females with youngsters gamboling around and a few immature bulls newly aware of their horns, walking with self conscious grace.
We watched them for a while and then turned away. Spending an interminable hour in which we saw no eland but lots of Zebra, i decided to take a zebra instead. We chaged course and went after some zebra that we had seen earlier. alas, there were no good individuals there and we left them to graze in peace. We finally saw a small herd with a few good specimens. But as i had asked Clayton that i wanted a male only, we had to get in a bit closer and make sure.
This was the mother of all stalks that i did.

We circled out back to the left and west, behind a hill and started walking out north in a circuitous manner following the natural depressions that were there. After a few kilometres, we passed through a small thicket of jungle aloe. Aloe aloe every where, no cosmetics company in sight. :)

We came to a slope opposite which was a hill on the obverse side of which were our zebra, due east.
The problem was that on this opposite hill slope was a herd of Wildebeest and they were looking at us. Down we went. I went and hid behind a solitary aloe and was grinning broadly looking at the rest squirming as close to the ground as possible. the wildebeest soon lost interest and were on their way towards the Zebra. This might be a problem, caly said and i was wondering why, but decided to hold my tongue and see how things panned out.
we went down and moved across and up the base of the hill, circling right to the north. we turned the corner, midway up and saw the wildebeest and our zebra together on another hill slope directly in front of us. This was a problem. clayton told me that zebra stick to wildebeest as they are more alert! And it was true!! While the majority of the wildebeest were lying down or grazing without a care in the world, a few were still looking around and obviously guarding the herd. the zebra on the other hand, all 5 of them were down on their sides, sleeping like me in my bed!!! After a long time they got up and we had our first good look at them. I was foxed until clay told me to look at the thickness of the necks! that being the best way to tell sexes apart at distance for a novice. Before i could practice my newfound skill, lo and behold they were all down again. shikari shambhu had met his match in the laziness department. but it was a day to be lazy. bright, washed and scrubbed blue skies, cotton white clouds, golden hills and a crisp wind made all of us lazy. clayton determined that there were to good animals there and they warranted a closer look. we were now looking at around 400 feet of crawl over open ground in full view of the herd with no cover. our aim was to get behind a pair of old destroyed anthills that were around 6 odd inches high. but then didnt some one once said:
himmat-e-marda toh madad-e-khuda.

god helps him, who helps himself.

there was no question of carrying the rifle slung on my back or on one shoulder, as the barrel might point up or the scope might reflect sunlight. i removed the bullet from the chamber, put the safety on and put it across my elbows. i was going to move the rifle across me, keeping its cross section as low as possible, as and when required i would reach ahead, leave it and crawl up. the next half an hour was spent in doing this. slowly and painstakingly. the temptation to take it a bit easy, to ease yourself is very hard to resist. your mind argues with you and you have to fight it with all your heart. why cant i just raise my knees a bit? why cant i just have a sip of water from the bottle in my trouser pocket? Oh, that itch needs to be scratched, lets do it, no one will notice. i must shake my head to remove these beads of sweat. its too small a movement to do any harm. Difficult, but then; no one said this was going to an afternoon high tea!
we reached the anthills and boy was i happy. we just lay there, still not daring to move. the wildebeest had looked at us initially but had quickly lost interest, now that we were on a patch of starkly coloured soil, perhaps they got interested again and got up and a good chuck went off down towards the valley floor. the zebra got up, moved bit down and promptly went off to sleep. bloody jokers!
but in this brief period, clay spotted one of our zebras with an erection and he was marked.
as the zebra had not gotten up, we regained our breath and waited for them to get up. eventually they did. i placed the rifle up and got comfortable, removed the bullet, chambered it, and started tracking the zebra, i found the triangle and aimed for it. inadvertently i held my breathing and my hands started shaking. i checked myself, started breathing and looked again to acquire my target. by this time he was going directly away from me, presenting a very difficult shot. just my luck. clayton asked me to be ready, he soon presented himself and clayton asked me to take the shot. i squeezed the trigger. he was down. and very badly hit. i had hit an artery and blood was gushing out like a fountain. we ran on down. he got up and walked a few steps like a drunk, then flopped onto his fore legs again. his head was moving sideways. this is when the remorse kicks in. you can hear your footsteps as you are walking up. the grass crunching. i can hear a whistling sound and i realize its my blocked nose, open my mouth. my left knee is troubling me and i feel it at every step.i can see the grass bent by the beasts lying down. i see the zebras ears twitch as he hears us. the poor fellow cant even look around towards us. the blood is bright red against the soil. his coat is gleaming and i can see the ragged breathing of this poor soul. he is dispatched. clay congratulates me. he goes off to get the truck while i am still savouring my new bond with my zebra.
i cant explain the feeling. i feel so much more intimately for him, for zebras. i feel such remorse at the death of one of gods own creatures. i am not even going to eat him. he will be a skin on my bedroom floor. will i judged for this when my own time is up? how will i feel if i was in his place? my life blood draining out of me, my family running away in terror, hearing the footsteps of my killer coming up behind me and not being able to move? my old father, forgive me, that i stole your life from you. that i stole your breaths from you. that i took you away from your kin. will you forgive me, my old father knowing that i love you and i will honour you? but is it possible to love and honour and yet kill something that you love? and is that right? is that correct? are these words, just words, by definition, nothing more than letters defining variable meanings, but of no meaning to that noble soul who gave his life because some one bigger than both of us destined it to be so?
To Excellence through Diligence.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:28 am

You have out done yourself.Wonderfully written.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:30 am

Zebra rugs are probably the most beautiful trophies one can get.
I was keen on shooting one myself when I was in S.A. We saw an old male but he had too many scars on him. Scars he had "earned" from all his fights with other males over dominance of a herd. I finally decided not to go for him.
I did feel some remorse when I shot the first animal (a beautiful Blessbok) in Africa. But I had no such feelings subsequently. I felt I was in the Savana for a mission and I had to complete the mission. You are planning a second trip to Africa in the winters. Just go there and have a lovely time. Don't feel guilty about it.
You must realise that every animal you shoot . You pay a certain amount to conserve many more of the same species.
When you finally get your trophies . You will also be issued a Wildlife Conservation certificate which will mention the amount you have contributed in actually conserving the habitat.
At the "expense" of few "Trophy animals" you have contributed in saving many more . With the money earned from your hunt the owner can pay for maintaining the "wild" habitat. How else do you think this gentleman could maintain a 3500 hectare Game Reserve?
If there were no hunters , the land would have probably been used for aggriculture. The end result would be catastrophical for the wildlife.Kraigsardar has explained this in detail in his post.
Have NO regrets. Whatever you did is legal. Have NO remorse......and when you go again for the next hunt (to Africa) , just enjoy yourself.
I think Shikar is not just the act of Killing. It is much more than that. It is being as close to nature (and to the trophy animal you are after) as you can.
C U soon.TC.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:11 am

Thanks Safarigent,
This was a most enlightening series of posts.
Excellent narrative style! I was right there with you, looking over your shoulder, albeit vicariously.

I must say that, of recent, the quality of the posts in this forum has been very, very high. I do not envy the mods when it comes time to pick the post of the month, though I would certainly want to nominate Safarigent's mini-epic here .
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:24 pm

We are done with the zebra, Now we need to load the carcass onto the truck. This was an all hands on deck event. We tried once and again. No joy.
Finally, General Clayton plans the operation and after a lot of huffing and puffing, we load up stripey and heave a sigh of relief.
We now need to look at a Blesbuck male and finish off the bag. Sure enough, the gods are kind and we come across one almost immediately. We stalk up close, the animals curiosity helping us get nearer and taking a shot.
I still get a surreal feeling when seeing living, breathing flesh through the scope and knowing i am going to launch a 180 gr messenger of death hurtling down towards the cross hairs! or atleast thats where i want it to go!! :)
I take the shot and he is down. We get up close and while the trackers are clearing a small space for the photographs to be taken, i step down and admire my blesbuck. I find him very endearing and i am glad that he is not in misery.
I have subjected you to the thoughts that usually run through me at this time before so i wont belabour your eyes again.
Suffice to say, we went off the yard to skin the animals.
The zebra has yellow fat in some areas, which they say can decompose very fast and ruin the skin, so they want as little of that fat on the skin. its a precise job and a big animal. we take some time and boy, am i glad when we are done! I am getting zebra hoof book ends and i had an interesting time looking at the severed leg and seeing how the tendons move when the joints are articulated. I partake my pieces of heart and the carcasses are loaded once again and we are off.
A celebratory dinner is in the offing. I have made great friends for life, had a lovely time and now it was time to repay the hospitality a bit. So Shikari shambhu, gets out of his ' too cool for school' camos and gets the apron tied up. On the menu, Jeera rice and chicken curry with potatoes in their jackets.
Priscilla had her notebook out and was interested in the interplay of spices with the frying and boiling etc.
A lovely sit down dinner followed in which the past week was discussed in great detail. We were getting ahead of ourselves and planning the next hunt when we decided to go to bed as i had to leave at stupid o clock in the morning if i wanted to catch my flight. I got down my presents for the staff and my friends, papier mache articles, spices from india, and some panjiri for claytons wife who had just had a lovley girl by the name of camilla. Silver coins with images of lakshmi and ganesha to keep in their safes/ purses. they loved the story of lakshmi and ganesha and vowed to take proper care of the coins.
I packed up my bags and fell to bed dead tired.
took leave of the dogs in the morning and we were off.
Off across provinces, off across oceans.
I see now how the experience has changed me. small things dont affect me. life is more valuable. i have always loved the wide open spaces and i find them even more appealing now.
i want to be out there, with the grass swishing against my legs, the sun on my back, beads of sweat rolling down my neck. feeling individual stones under my boots, aware of the wind and the noises around me, your hearing magnified in your ears, your senses razor sharp, moving through forests and glades like ghosts, unseen and unheard. blending in with mother nature as best as one can.
Leonardo da Vinci had said: 'Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been, and there you long to return.'
Thats what i feel..... and i will return.
To hunt again.
to feel again.
to be one with nature again.
I will return.

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:47 pm

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:50 pm

7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:53 pm

a few more

13.JPG
14.JPG
15.JPG
16.JPG
17.JPG
18.JPG

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:54 pm

19.JPG
Good Bye Umdende.
I will miss you.

prashantsingh

Post by prashantsingh » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:45 pm

xl_target wrote:Thanks Safarigent,
I do not envy the mods when it comes time to pick the post of the month, though I would certainly want to nominate Safarigent's mini-epic here .
:agree:

I was telling Safarigent that he deserved to be nominated for the poster of the month.

Finally the smile on the face says it all.
You have now graduated to a"Seasoned Shikari."

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:29 am

Lovely write up... the poster of the month award is still up for grabs .. Doc has some competition. I love the sensible hunter in you. I am also jealous of the rich experience you have amassed with this trip. Keep going..Happy shooting and happy landings...
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:40 pm

thank you guys.
rakshit sir, i have a magazine for you, from prashant sir.
we missed you today.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:28 pm

I’ve been meaning to read this thread since long, finally got time to do so today. What an awesome epic hunt.

Here’s wishing you many more like this. Keep on doing it.

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:21 pm

Safarigent - I had somehow missed this post of yours till now; just got to read it.

Fantastic, epic, hunt in Africa - great images :cpix: to bolster your adventure. Absolutely smashing...thanks for sharing and hope you get to write up the article on polo.

There was a hunt to SA, end July 2010, that I missed by a whisker (visa didn't come through in time) - pity :( . The one that got away! I have some pictures though, of my mates having a great time. First time, successful hunter, had his face smeared with blood, some sort of celebratory ritual, I am given to understand.

All the very best and I think you are a good story-teller. Thanks again!

:cheers:
CT-Hunt-Jul23-25-2010 (16).JPG
CT-Hunt-Jul23-25-2010 (49).JPG
CT-Hunt-Jul23-25-2010 (46).JPG
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:01 pm

inder and kalyan,
thank you.
the gun does look like a .30-06
dont quote me on that though!!!
:)