game recipes?

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

game recipes?

Post by shooter » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:59 pm

do we have members who share the passion for cooking? would like to discuss game recipes/ game recipes modified to other meat (legal.)?
if yes, what section should we post under?
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

For Advertising mail webmaster
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:09 pm

I have a passion for eating, I am looking for someone who has passion for cooking ;-). Seriously this seems like a taboo subject and there already is the Rajasthani recipe for lal mans that is adapted from game cooking and works for mutton.

If you look for a Rajasthani cuisine book you will also find recipes for hare, I actually saw Floyd cook it on Discovery's travel and living show.

Believe you can buy Japanese farm bred quail in Delhi if you so desire.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:30 pm

japanese quail is available throughout north india, known as 'english bater' by many butchers (by english read foreign.)

lal maans is superb.
i come from rajasthan and my love for cooking comes from love of eating. as i always used to discuss about what was lacking in a dish and how could one improve it.
can you suggest some books bout rajasthani food (other than 'rajasthani kitchen')
a problem with these books is that they give recipes for rajasthani food- which is marwari cuisine- no onion garlic, veg.
game recipes are limited to rajput cuisine as most other communities in rajasthan are traditionally vegeterain.
would also appreciate if i could have recipes from other parts of india thanks.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:34 pm

See I knew I would prosper from shooting ;-) khane ka naya adda mil gaya. Sorry shooter that is as far as my limited culinary expertise extends to. They make duck in Assam but the thing is cut to such small pieces that it may be chicken for all ye know.

How about the old red indian way of covering quail in river clay and then burying it in the embers of the camp fire? I've never had it but will try it out sometime.

Regards,

Dev

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:40 pm

cooking game in mud and cooking in embers is an excellent way of cooking it.
have personally tried and can vouch for it.
not unknown in india too.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:21 pm

partridges are available for that amount all over india but it is illegal.
i havent bought them personally as i dont condone such practices.
have tried partridge only in uk and is a very tasty meat.
this illegal capture of the birds (via nets) has reasulted in a major drop in their popultaion in the last decade.

spacetraveller
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Game recepies

Post by spacetraveller » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:24 pm

Hi Shooter
Cooking Delights of the Maharajas by Digvijay Singh has some excellent recepies. I have tried out some. A must buy for all interested in eating and cooking specially game recepies. Try the Jangali Maas with four ingredients only.
There is another book by Rajmata Gayatri Devi of Jaipur on cooking. This is a compilation and has some excellent but very time consuming recepies.

If you cook Turkey I recommend cook the deboned meat from the legs seperately as an Indian style Korma. As this is distinctly red meat and comes out well as a Korma. Remaining part of the Turkey is a bit dry and must be cooked with bacon pieces to get a flavour.

Dev
I think we are meeting tommorow for the Delhi Darlings !! More recepies then. :P

Spacetraveller

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:37 pm

thanks have both the books.
tried mokal bhavnagar yesterday from the first book. came out well.
rajmata sahabs book is called the gourmets gateway.
many of the time consuming recipes can be modified but some dont taste the same.
a few of the recipes in the book are old recipes known to many families in rajasthan. its good that they are now documented in a book else they would have lost in time.
thanks.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: game recipes?

Post by Grumpy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:38 am

What sort of cuisine has no onions or garlic ?

Japanese Quail are easily distinguished from Partridges because the latter - be they English, French ( Red-Legged ) or Chukar - are larger.
Domestic Quail are pretty tasteless........although that probably applies to the domestic versions of most birds/animals.

Have you tried Wood Pigeon yet Dev ? The first ones of those you deal with will surprise you !

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:31 am

In Amritsar, there is a dhaba or a joint which sells chicken that has been wrapped in a thin net-like cloth and then totally wrapped in thick atta (wheat dough) and put into the tandoor for a couple of hours... what u get later is a black, badly charred ball which u need to cool and later crack open to get excellently cooked chicken inside... it was delicious... penpusher might be knowing more about it.. ??

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:58 am

Anupam";p="23165 wrote:In Amritsar, there is a dhaba or a joint which sells chicken that has been wrapped in a thin net-like cloth and then totally wrapped in thick atta (wheat dough) and put into the tandoor for a couple of hours... what u get later is a black, badly charred ball which u need to cool and later crack open to get excellently cooked chicken inside... it was delicious... penpusher might be knowing more about it.. ??
That sounds more like a typical shikar recepie - except that the atta was substituted for CLAY (if im not mistaken) read about it in one of Kenneth Andersons books.
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

spacetraveller
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by spacetraveller » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:18 pm

Another interesting book :

Pat Chapman's Taster of The Raj
Published by Hodder & Sloughton

Not really for Game recepies but some very quaint recepies from the days of the Raj
I recommend the Mulligatawny Soup and Pork Chops
Spacetraveller

WyoJoe
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: game recipes?

Post by WyoJoe » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:48 am

Grumpy wrote:What sort of cuisine has no onions or garlic ?
Not anything good. Add some chili peppers & it is good to go.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:36 am

Discovery channel has program of some survival guys trying to make through various places, Forest in Rockies, tropics, desert etc. One of the guys ( Canadian eh) caught trout and then wrapped it in a leaf ( don’t remember which) and then covered it with clay. Simply baked it in fire and dusted off clay looked nice

I have heard about similar recipe in India, fish marinated with complementary masala / spices, wrapped in Banana leaf, covered with clay and baked in fire.

To digress there is another survival show, this gent is ex British SAS trooper and he rarely cooks any thing. He likes his fish raw sushi style, simply bite true survivalist situation ..straightforward recipe.

Cheers

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:02 pm

In Assam fish is routinely cooked wrapped in banana leaf and then put over hot coals. All that is added is a strong mustard paste. Plus rice that is cooked inside bamboo.

I would love to try this out while fishing with a few cans of baked beans stashed as a back up. ;-)

Dev

I have tried the fish this way at home over the bar be cue and it works out pretty decent, you can replace the leaves with alu foil.