game recipes?

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
manshah007
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: game recipes?

Post by manshah007 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:44 am

MUTTON NEHARI, the indian winter stew relished in most parts of north India,eaten at breakfast with parantha,nan or kulcha. The harsh winter in north require high calorie diet to keep one self warm. Usually cooked overnight, the simmering nehari makes a hearty breakfast, though nehari can be eaten at lunch or dinner too. This fiery gravy is made with extra red chillies and lots of spices, most people in north prefer it that way, i personally prefer milder version.
RECIPE :: MUTTON NEHARI
INGREDIENTS :
1) Mutton shank (adla the lower portion of Mutton leg or shoulder) 1kg.
2) garam masala 50gms consisting of following spices.
a)clove 5gms (lavang)
b)cinnamon 10 gms (dalchini)
c) cardamom black 10 gms (badi iliachi)
d) cardamom green 5 gms (hari illiachi)
e) mace & nutmeg 5gms(javantri & jaiphal)
f)dry ginger 10 gms(saunt)
g) fennel seeds 10 gms (saunf)
h) black pepper 10 gms (kalamirch)
i) cumin seeds 10gms (safeed jeera)
3) ginger garilc paste 50 gms.
4) onions finely sliced 100gms.
5) roasted chicpea flour 50 gms (bhune hue chane la atta)
6)wheat flour 75 gms .
8)yellow chilly /red chilly powder 50gms (pili mirch powder)
9) salt to taste.
10) yogurt 100 gms (dahi)
11)oil/ghee 200 gms
For garnish:: jullians of ginger, sliced green chillies
METHOD ::::
1)grind all the garam masala in a coffee grinder.
2) heat oil in a THICK BOTTOM POT & fry sliced onions till light golden, remove fried onions on an obsorbing paper allow to become crisp.
2) in the same oil put washed Mutton shank peices fry for two minutes.
3)add ginger/garlic paste, yellow chilli powder, 50 gms of powder garam masala and yogurt keep frying till oil separates, add salt and about six cups of water, when the stew starts boiling reduce the flame to minimum, cover and allow to simmer till the meat is tender about an hour, if the water dries up add HOT WATER.
4) add crushed fried onions (do not grind or else it makes the gravy bitter)
5) when the oil starts floating, make a thin paste of wheat flour & chicpea flour in water making sure there are no lumps, add this mixture to the simmering stew,cook for 10 minutes.
6) stirring very lightly as at this stage meat is very tender and may disintegrate on violent stirring. Shut off the flame and allow the spices to mellow down.
7) serve with garnish of ginger julian & sliced green chillies ,with parantha, kulcha or nan.
TIP:::where yellow chilly powder is not available red chilly powder can be used.:::::
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:41 am

Hi Guys,
> What a load of "Mouth Watering & Appetizing" recipies :D
> Keep them coming guys....
> Our in-house "Master Chef" fellow IFGian "Slingshot" will accord a 5* Rating..... :lol:
Briha

nevil
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by nevil » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:31 pm

i tried the mutton nehari it is really delicious only thing be very careful while stirring in the final stage like the gentleman has cautioned going to try the haleem over the weekend
happy cooking :)

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:58 pm

Manshah007, that is a great recipe and also the photo looks mouthwatering. I can almost smell the aroma!
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

caracass77
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by caracass77 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:17 pm

I posted my recipe (boar) months ago! Mayhap, I posted a vivid account? If so, many apologies, dear moderators. :(

dragonfly
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by dragonfly » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:40 pm

Hello Greetings Everyone!
It's been a while...
Shooter,Abhi,Manshah..where is everybody!?All the fine cooks in the house.

This is one interesting thread and for the love of food this thread must keep going.

Here is a recent recipe :

Ribs of young lamb or goat, cooked in milk and spices then fried in ghee (clarified butter). The key is to have them fork tender with the boiling and crispy and juicy with the frying. It is an art form and here is my recipe.

Recipe :- Kabargah (Kashmiri Dish)
Ingredients

2 pounds Lamb ribs ( I used a rack of lamb but traditionally only ribs are used)
6 cups water
2 cups milk and 1 Cup water – mixed together
1 tsp garam masala ( Use Zafrani Garam Masala by Shan - it's the closest thing to my blend)
a pinch of asafoetida
Salt
1 star anise ( 1 tsp fennel powder - the traditional way)
For yogurt batter :
4 Tbs yogurt
1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
Ghee for frying ( begin with half a cup ghee)
Salt.
Instructions

Bring the 6 cups of water to boil and add in the ribs. Continue to boil until the brownish riffraff floats to the top.
Remove this riffraff with a spoon and throw it away. Continue until you don't see it floating to the top anymore.
Now drain the water and wash the meat under a spray of water.
Bring the milk and water mix to a boil.
Add in the meat , salt, asafoetida, the garam masala and the star anise or the fennel powder and cook on slow heat until the meat is fork tender.
The timing for this will depend on the quality of meat.
The better quality ribs will be done before the milk evaporates and for others you may need to cook almost until the milk evaporates and then some more.
Once the meat is tender, remove from the milk, and let drain on a wire rack.
Mix the yogurt with a little salt, chilli powder and garam masala. dip the boiled ribs in this mix. Keep on a wire rack for a few minutes.
Heat up some ghee in a pan and fry the ribs, a few at a time. Ensuring you don't overcrowd the pan.
When they are nice and golden crisp , you know they are ready.
Notes

If you are pressed for time, you may first pressure cook the ribs for a few minutes and then cook them in milk and spice.

If your butcher refuses to hand over just the ribs, go ahead and make this with chops.

Cheers and hope you guys like it!

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:14 pm

Red Ant Chutney.

Today a friend of mine send me a pic of Red Ant larva and Eggs selling on local weekly market.
just remind me old days , While we boys use to prepare this chutney to eat with any sort of roasted meat and bread. locals prefer this due to its tangy and acidic taste.
Kurkut 3.jpg

Kurkut 2.jpg
Ingredients Require:--

Ant larva and Eggs ( it Also Contains a lot of half born Ants also) Qty depends on No of People. ( Its mostly available in Jharkhand, Orissa and CG Tribal area market or any Red ant Mound. just break open the Mound and you will find ant Larva and eggs in small chambers. may cost you some Bites :D :D :D )

Salt
Red/green Chilies ( 4/5 chilies for 100 gm Larva)
Ginger. 1/2 inch piece.
Tamarind (Seedless) Around 20gm/100 gm Larva.
Fresh Coriander ( If available) for topping.
Mix all above ingredients and grind to a smooth paste ( best in a mortar and pestle or else grinder) garnish with Green corinder.

(Some people use to fry this paste in oil with onion, garlic and tomato paste to make it more rich. Dry fish chutney can also be prepare in this method)

Its fiery, and tangy. enjoy with any sort of roasted meet, or dry snacks. :cheers:

Regards.

Added in 29 minutes 48 seconds:
Sorry forget to mention with all sort of meat and snacks one of the must ( Specifically for Summers) is .......... :cheers: :cheers:

No no its not beer... its Rice bear ( Haria/Hadia)
haria.jpg
:D :D :D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards

Shivaji

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:14 am

Shivaji Dasgupta,

Thanks for the recipe. Gordon Ramsay made a video on it.

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:17 am

ya vikram right you are. they are using the non venomous tree ants. other than that the process and everything is same. I never had a luck with tree ants. will give a try for Sure.

by the way its local name is Kurkut.

regards.
Regards

Shivaji

Ajaaybeer
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re:

Post by Ajaaybeer » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:34 pm

Olly wrote:In Amritsar, there is a dhaba or a joint which sells chicken that has been wrapped in a thin net-like cloth and then totally wrapped in thick atta (wheat dough) and put into the tandoor for a couple of hours... what u get later is a black, badly charred ball which u need to cool and later crack open to get excellently cooked chicken inside... it was delicious... penpusher might be knowing more about it.. ??
A similar recipe is sold by trademark/name: Atta Chicken (of Kotkapura city) Distt. Faridkot in Punjab. Precisely what they do is they remove the skin of a chicken and clean it and stuff the abdomen of chicken with dry fruits and marinade it in spices. Then they wrap the complete chicken in a linen piece and pack it in wheat dough and put it in a tandoor to be cooked in its own fat. Believe me its delicious and different.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a WELL-ARMED lamb contesting the vote!

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Re:

Post by Vikram » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:07 pm

Ajaaybeer wrote:
Olly wrote:In Amritsar, there is a dhaba or a joint which sells chicken that has been wrapped in a thin net-like cloth and then totally wrapped in thick atta (wheat dough) and put into the tandoor for a couple of hours... what u get later is a black, badly charred ball which u need to cool and later crack open to get excellently cooked chicken inside... it was delicious... penpusher might be knowing more about it.. ??
A similar recipe is sold by trademark/name: Atta Chicken (of Kotkapura city) Distt. Faridkot in Punjab. Precisely what they do is they remove the skin of a chicken and clean it and stuff the abdomen of chicken with dry fruits and marinade it in spices. Then they wrap the complete chicken in a linen piece and pack it in wheat dough and put it in a tandoor to be cooked in its own fat. Believe me its delicious and different.
That sounds yum. I heard from my friends that almost a similar dish exists in Pakistan/Afghanistan where in the chicken is stuffed with rice,spices and nuts and cooked whole. If anyone has a video, please do post. Cheers.

peacelover
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by peacelover » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:57 pm

My style of red meat fry..

Ingredients
1kg red meat boneless
2 Table spoon Ginger garlic paste
3,4 Tabke spoon Red chili powder
Salt to taste
1 tea spoon Garam masala powder
1 table spoon Turmeric powder

Mix all the above ingredients to meat and dry the meat in sun for 6 hours atleast,once all the moisture from meat is dried and all the spices are blended into the meat ,deep fry it in low flame ,make it well done and enjoy....You wil experience a unique meat flavour like never before.

Added in 7 minutes 12 seconds:
Red meat kabab recipe.
Ingredients
Cashew roasted hand full
Fried finely chopped onions 3 4
3 garlic beads,
1 inch fresh ginger
5 green chillis
2 red dried chillis
Grind all the above items you will notice beautiful colours in the mixi
Keep the mixture aside

Grind 1 kg meat to fine paste,add dhania powder 3 table spoon,quarter tea spoon garam masala and mix all the above grinded stuff to the meat and you can use 1 table spoon of kacha papaya paste as tenderiser if you want .....make meat patties and fry them on tawwa...

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:48 pm

peacelover wrote: dry the meat in sun for 6 hours atleast,

Never heard of this method. I must give it a try though I will have to wait a few months for the sun to shine. (y)

Best-
Vikram

peacelover
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by peacelover » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Sure Vikram saab give it a try ,you will enjoy it.I will try to send pics when I make it next time.Best on tender cuts of red meat.

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:30 pm

Today morning I just stumble on this. Not able to resist myself to post a pic of the same. Ant larva ( kurkut) in Jharkhand market.
Regards

Shivaji