• Advertisement
Ballistol.in - one stop shop for gun care

game recipes?

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.

Postby Olly » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:31 am

In Amritsar, there is a dhaba or a joint which sells chicken that has been wrapped in a thin net-like cloth and then totally wrapped in thick atta (wheat dough) and put into the tandoor for a couple of hours... what u get later is a black, badly charred ball which u need to cool and later crack open to get excellently cooked chicken inside... it was delicious... Sukhpreet might be knowing more about it.. ??
Olly

Postby dev » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:55 am

Dev
I think we are meeting tommorow for the Delhi Darlings !! More recepies then. :P

Spacetraveller

and we'll be sitting somewhere we can snap our fingers so that our salivating mouths are busy chomping into what we are talking about. this thread has me drooling all over the key board. ;-)

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.
dev

Postby snIPer » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:58 am

Anupam\";p=\"23165 wrote:In Amritsar, there is a dhaba or a joint which sells chicken that has been wrapped in a thin net-like cloth and then totally wrapped in thick atta (wheat dough) and put into the tandoor for a couple of hours... what u get later is a black, badly charred ball which u need to cool and later crack open to get excellently cooked chicken inside... it was delicious... Sukhpreet might be knowing more about it.. ??

That sounds more like a typical shikar recepie - except that the atta was substituted for CLAY (if im not mistaken) read about it in one of Kenneth Andersons books.
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.
snIPer

Postby spacetraveller » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:18 pm

Another interesting book :

Pat Chapman's Taster of The Raj
Published by Hodder & Sloughton

Not really for Game recepies but some very quaint recepies from the days of the Raj
I recommend the Mulligatawny Soup and Pork Chops
Spacetraveller
spacetraveller

Re: game recipes?

Postby WyoJoe » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:48 am

Grumpy wrote:What sort of cuisine has no onions or garlic ?
Not anything good. Add some chili peppers & it is good to go.
WyoJoe

Postby ngrewal » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:36 am

Discovery channel has program of some survival guys trying to make through various places, Forest in Rockies, tropics, desert etc. One of the guys ( Canadian eh) caught trout and then wrapped it in a leaf ( don’t remember which) and then covered it with clay. Simply baked it in fire and dusted off clay looked nice

I have heard about similar recipe in India, fish marinated with complementary masala / spices, wrapped in Banana leaf, covered with clay and baked in fire.

To digress there is another survival show, this gent is ex British SAS trooper and he rarely cooks any thing. He likes his fish raw sushi style, simply bite true survivalist situation ..straightforward recipe.

Cheers
ngrewal

Postby dev » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:02 pm

In Assam fish is routinely cooked wrapped in banana leaf and then put over hot coals. All that is added is a strong mustard paste. Plus rice that is cooked inside bamboo.

I would love to try this out while fishing with a few cans of baked beans stashed as a back up. ;-)

Dev

I have tried the fish this way at home over the bar be cue and it works out pretty decent, you can replace the leaves with alu foil.
dev

Postby eljefe » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:56 pm

Chicken in clay ball- aka beggars chicken in chinese folklore?
Yup, a little bit of masala (mustard paste, what have you..) wrap meat, (esp fish in banana leaf) and cook in cooker with water, no pressure... basically steaming-voila!! now my keyboard is mush...
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."
eljefe

Postby Mack The Knife » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:36 pm

dev wrote:I would love to try this out while fishing with a few cans of baked beans stashed as a back up. ;-)

I am not much of a baked beans fan but the next time you have them, add some finely chopped onions and green chillies and then heat this in a sauce pan - stir constantly. A dash of Tobasco, if you like the stuff, and it really makes a difference.

Tip: Goes very well with fried eggs and buttered toasts.

Mack The Knife

P.S.: That baked bean tin can make a good emergency water tumbler provided you drink Indian style - without touching your lips to the rim. Failing which use it to melt lead or keep your earthworms in. ;)
Mack The Knife

Postby WyoJoe » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:49 pm

Try this web site they have a lot of wild game recipes. Some are outlandish but you might find some that are worthwhile.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/martin/wildrecipes/
There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
WyoJoe

Postby eljefe » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:59 pm

Joe,

TICK STEW

1 bag black beans
1 lb. browned hamburger or ground venison
1 jar of salsa (28 to 32 oz.)
Hot sauce - to taste

Cook beans according to directions. Add salsa and burger. Add hot sauce. Cook over medium heat until hot. Serve with nachos or corn chips, or corn or flour tortillas.

Tick stew had me a bit greenish...until I read this.
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."
eljefe

Postby dev » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:13 pm

"I am not much of a baked beans fan but the next time you have them, add some finely chopped onions and green chillies and then heat this in a sauce pan - stir constantly. A dash of Tobasco, if you like the stuff, and it really makes a difference.

Tip: Goes very well with fried eggs and buttered toasts."

Mouth watering vittles I tell ya. ;-)
I think I saw a tin of it next to an array of sausage on one of your wasi shots but I may be way off.
Regards,

Dev
dev

Postby dev » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:32 pm

Sniffle... just what this board needed...a woman's touch.

Good one Jojo, can we take you for fishing in exchange for you making this for us? ;-)

Dev
dev

Postby Mack The Knife » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:35 pm

You will need to catch pomfrets...

:mrgreen:
Mack The Knife

Postby dev » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:47 pm

But pomfrets are available in Delhi Jojo. Just go to the INA market or Chittaranjan park market 1. You get both the black and the white variety. Sure your husband is more than welcome.

Dev
dev

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting, Hiking, Camping, Fishing & other Fresh Air Activities