Heads up - water bottle with attached filter

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Heads up - water bottle with attached filter

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:42 am

All ye outdoors enthusiasts!

Might be old news, but I thought I will just share this.

Eureka Forbes has introduced water bottles with attached filters / purifiers on the top, under their Aquaguard brand. MRP INR 600. I picked up a couple at a Big Bazaar outlet, so I can assume Future Group is one of their authorised retailers.

Here's the company link: http://www.eurekaforbes.com/Product/Wat ... Go?pid=233

Good "sipper" type design, but the flip cap joint (the transparent thingie on top of the bottle in the pic) is a bit weak (my kid dropped a full bottle and the flip joint cracked). The filter unit is attached to the cap and comes out along with it (like those Borosil teapots). Unfortunately, it does not have a suitable attachment point for carabiners, etc. You would need to create a webbing sling to carry it slung from a belt or rucksack strap (the contouring on the bottle would help). It is designed more for the net pockets on the sides of backpacks.

Pack graphics ar a bit jazzy for my taste. No camo option!!!

Haven't tested it with really bad water as yet, but if this works, it could be a decent substitute for the highly expensive Katadyns available at Basecamp. And carrying iodine around is such a pain!!

By the way, I honestly don't know what a "nano sized positively charged media" is!! Going more by brand trust!

I keep one as a backup in the "mobile emergency kit", aka car boot.

And just for the record, I don't work for Eureka Forbes, nor am I in any way benefited if anyone buys this bottle.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Heads up - water bottle with attached filter

Post by mundaire » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:47 am

I've seen something similar at a few Chemists recently, goes by the brand name "Life Straw" IIRC the pricing was similar or maybe a little more. A good piece of kit to have handy if you travel a lot.

Back in the 70's & 80's potassium permanganate is what we used to use for water purification on road trips. Those were the days before bottled water became available almost everywhere, IIRC it used to make the water taste absolutely horrible! :P

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:53 am

mundaire wrote:I've seen something similar at a few Chemists recently, goes by the brand name "Life Straw" IIRC the pricing was similar or maybe a little more. A good piece of kit to have handy if you travel a lot.

Back in the 70's & 80's potassium permanganate is what we used to use for water purification on road trips. Those were the days before bottled water became available almost everywhere, IIRC it used to make the water taste absolutely horrible! :P

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Lifestraw seems to be a popular brand here.

I too remember the taste of Permanganate but it brings back some fond memories :)

However when back country camping here, we don't carry more that a liter or two of bottled water as it's too heavy. In addition, my daughter and I both have water bladders in our packs. Mine is a two liter and hers is a Liter and a half or so.
In the field, we use boiling and Iodine tablets, which doesn't make the water taste any better than the Permanganate.
Generally we use a mechanical water filter, boiling and iodine tabs. This allows you to get water from anywhere, including puddles. You can use this for an extended period of time.
Katadyn camping water filters.
This triple method may seem excessive but a Giardia infection when you are days from civilization would be a real pain.

Something like the Lifestraw will let you get by for a weekend camping trip with no problem. It is supposed to be good for 1000 liters and it beats all the hassle that we go through.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:44 am

In Mumbai, Katadyns and Life Straws are available at Base Camp stores.

Abhijeet, I personally find the chemists in Delhi / NCR light years ahead of their brothers in Mumbai, esp when keeping slightly uncommon stuff is concerned. I had to specially order butterfly closures at my neighborhood chemist, and got it after a month!!

I used to used KMnO4 like you guys, and still remember the taste. Plus I got a shirt patterned in "purple camo" once. Here even that isn't very widely available. Can we use iodine tincture for this? I normally have a bottle or two lying about the house. I am also looking to make friends with a guy in a nearby club, to get access to the swimming pool chlorine (aka "pool shock").
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:00 pm

Essdee, you can purchase chlorine/ other water purification tablets at your local chemists. I tend to keep a little potassium permanganate in my travel first aid kit as it is great for other things as well (anti-fungal, washing veggies/ fruits, etc.).... and if you want to impress the kids you can put a couple of drops of car coolant/ anti-freeze on to a few crystals for an instant fire! :mrgreen:
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

hellfire_m16
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by hellfire_m16 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:16 pm

I carry a small packet of KMNO4 in the side pocket of my wallet with a similar sized packet of Alum. If one in not in a hurry a small crystal of alum for about an hour will settle down all the sediments and a crystal of KMNO4 will disinfect about a liter of water.

In an emergency a drop or two of tincture can also be used and drunk after 2/3 hours. But, i guess this is an SOS measure only not to be consumed frequently.
"Men are like steel, when they lose their temper they lose their worth."
-Chuck Norris