Airgun import experiences - via post/ courier route

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Airgun import experiences - via post/ courier route

Post by snIPer » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:38 am

GOCOOL2000 You do not need to visit Bangalore personally, you can just scan the documents and email / Fax them to the FEDEx contact and that will suffice.
/S/
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sandy
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Sandy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:12 am

Hi, this is Sandy from Hyderabad.
I want to import 0.177 caliber CO2 powered Dan Wesson 6 inch revolver (looks real) via "Pyramid Air". Since it is not safe to import anything else, I am going to import only the revolver.
But for this, I heard we should be members of any rifle association. I have no intentions of joining the club except for buying the gun for my newly developed hobby. Anyways, for the rifle association, I have RAAP in mind. But I think there is only an annual membership for it, which costs 10k. I also saw that student membership is 1k. I have a sister who is a student. Are there any restrictions on student membership? Can those students import that airsoft revolver? Is there any age restriction regarding that? If I am hoping that there wouldn't be any problem with the customs even if a girl student orders it, am I hoping right?

tiwariarrun
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by tiwariarrun » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:13 pm

Only the adults can import air guns. Rifle membership is a must thing. A lot of under 18 kids who practice at my club have imported match rifles. But, on the basis of parental guidance. I am just wondering if the rifle club would give you or your sister a letter for the import of a replica air gun. Because no clubs allow you to practice with them. And the club memberships are for serious shooters who peruse shooting as a career.

Sandy
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Sandy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:03 am

Only the adults can import air guns
Both are adults, above 18.
I am just wondering if the rifle club would give you or your sister a letter for the import of a replica air gun. Because no clubs allow you to practice with them. And the club memberships are for serious shooters who peruse shooting as a career.
Whoa! You mean to say that a club membership isn't sufficient, but you need to get a letter from them that they are allowing this person to purchase an air gun? I don't want to pursue that as a career, but I want to develop this sport as a hobby. Am I not permitted to do so? And I am still unable to understand why they would discourage practicing with our own air guns.

tiwariarrun
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by tiwariarrun » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:08 pm

I understand what you're trying to say. There is no scope for hobbyists in India, bro.
Last edited by tiwariarrun on Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

rohitmin23
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rohitmin23 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:56 pm

Hi Arunji,

Is there any limitation on number of imports per year for Air Rifles and Air Pistols??

I have already imported 2 Air Rifles in September and October 2012, can i again import again in January an Air pistol?

tiwariarrun
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by tiwariarrun » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:23 pm

This is a grey area actually- there's no clarity yet.
Last edited by tiwariarrun on Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

hardeepsinghbedi
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by hardeepsinghbedi » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:34 am

Sandy wrote:Hi, this is Sandy from Hyderabad.
I want to import 0.177 caliber CO2 powered Dan Wesson 6 inch revolver (looks real) via "Pyramid Air". Since it is not safe to import anything else, I am going to import only the revolver.
But for this, I heard we should be members of any rifle association. I have no intentions of joining the club except for buying the gun for my newly developed hobby. Anyways, for the rifle association, I have RAAP in mind. But I think there is only an annual membership for it, which costs 10k. I also saw that student membership is 1k. I have a sister who is a student. Are there any restrictions on student membership? Can those students import that airsoft revolver? Is there any age restriction regarding that? If I am hoping that there wouldn't be any problem with the customs even if a girl student orders it, am I hoping right?
Dear Sandy,

Rifle club membership is must. Along with the rifle club membership you need to have a letter from rifle club stating that you are the regular member of rifle club and you will do practice with this rifle or pistol. If you are not a member you can buy Air pistol and rifle from any gun house by paying Rs. 5000-7000/- extra. I hope this will solve your problem.
With Regards,

Hardeep Singh Bedi

sandeepyadavggn
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by sandeepyadavggn » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:57 pm

Dear Friends,

I am registered with State Rifle Association and want to import 2 air pistols (from pyramidair).I have already imported air rifle 6 months back & I am worried if rifle association secretary will further give a letter to me allowing import of gun for sports.
Is there any way to import gun without a letter from Rifle Association?
If any custom duty suffice the purpose then how much if cost? I am planning to import cheap air pistols of Rs5000/- range of 0.177 calibre.

Please reply.......

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:55 pm

Where does it say that you need a letter to import an Air Rifle????
The notification says that you need to be only a member so a membership proof will be enough. if you are asked for a letter from the Rifle association then please ask for the notification that states it.

Exim Code

Item Descriptions
Other Arms (for example, spring, air or gas guns and pistols, truncheons), excluding those of heading 9307

Policy
Restricted

Policy conditions
However, import of 0.177 bore air guns and air pistols will be free for shooters registered with Rifle Clubs or District/State/ National Rifles Association.
/S
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:33 pm

More than a year after I ordered my first air rifle( see page 57 in this thread), once again I ordered an air rifle from PyramydAir. This time it was a Benjamin Marauder and 4 brands of pellets. Paid for the 10 for 10 test, but the certificate was either lost by Customs when they opened it or it was never sent in the package.
As for the shipment I ordered it on June 18, it was shipped out on June 21 reached Bangalore on June 25. Was contacted by Fedex with a list of Documents.1. Self attested copies of the Rifle association Membership card. 2.Notarised copies of the NRAI letter. 3. DGFT declaration. 4. GATT Declaration. They wanted scanned copies by email and originals sent by courier, which I did. In addition I also sent the same set of documents as I did the previous time. The Customs took 3 days to clear without asking for anything else. As is known FedEx shipped it by surface after Customs clearance because it was a "gun". Reached me today July 2nd, but had to pay Rs.5900 as duty because I also ordered peep as well as open sights( because the rifle doesn't come with any) and a Scuba adapter tube. I was not too surprised with the Customs Duty though.
regards,
Anand

discovershashank
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by discovershashank » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:25 am

Anand wrote:More than a year after I ordered my first air rifle( see page 57 in this thread), once again I ordered an air rifle from PyramydAir. This time it was a Benjamin Marauder and 4 brands of pellets. Paid for the 10 for 10 test, but the certificate was either lost by Customs when they opened it or it was never sent in the package.
As for the shipment I ordered it on June 18, it was shipped out on June 21 reached Bangalore on June 25. Was contacted by Fedex with a list of Documents.1. Self attested copies of the Rifle association Membership card. 2.Notarised copies of the NRAI letter. 3. DGFT declaration. 4. GATT Declaration. They wanted scanned copies by email and originals sent by courier, which I did. In addition I also sent the same set of documents as I did the previous time. The Customs took 3 days to clear without asking for anything else. As is known FedEx shipped it by surface after Customs clearance because it was a "gun". Reached me today July 2nd, but had to pay Rs.5900 as duty because I also ordered peep as well as open sights( because the rifle doesn't come with any) and a Scuba adapter tube. I was not too surprised with the Customs Duty though.
regards,
Anand
Wow!!! I just saw a few air guns few days ago on websites and though they are available so easy and looked affordable. Now this was an eye opener. Seriously,we can't get a freaking air pistol as hobby in our country. I feel like crap.
A knife makes me feel stronger, keeps my temper down and gives me the courage to fight for the right. If I am wrong, don't correct me...

ysbrar
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by ysbrar » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:18 pm

I live in Ganganagar in Rajasthan .I want to know how can i become member of shooting club? and if there is no club then how can one form one

akshaik
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by akshaik » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:09 pm

Hi Guys ,

I see these websites like airsoftgunindia and other selling 0.177 CO2 and other blank firing guns openly on their website at 8 times the price . why is this not restricted to selling to only rifle club members ?
Do the indian laws imply that only to import gas guns , you need to be a member of a rile club , but any tom dick and harry can buy a gas gun once it lands on indian territory ?

And why are the guns 8 times costly in the On these Indian websites ? 45000 for a blank firing gun ? for what ?

Dont we need to be members of rifle clubs to buy these online from our very own Indian Ripoffs ?

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:34 pm

ysbrar,
please read up in the shooting association section of IFG, there is a wealth of information. if no association exists in your state, then NRAI membership can be obtained.

akshaik,
as with anything that is severely restricted, it will create a different economy for that item. Air guns of Cal. .177 and pellets are allowed to be imported free of any import duty by members of rifle associations in order to encourage shooting practice/sports. Please note that, even airguns of .22 calibre are allowed to be imported, however you will be charged a duty of at least a 100% of the invoice. If those same items are available for purchase in India, then it means they have either already suffered import duty and taxes, or the person selling them wants to make a profit over his difficulty in obtaining them, either way they will be more expensive in India.

Products of a similar nature made here may suffer from poorer quality or variety or may be substandard, or lack features required for competition etc., which is the reason to import in the first place, these do not require membership in a rifle association . Since blank guns are not Arms or Airguns, as such do not require licensing or the requirement of being a member of a rifle association. The fact that they cost so much is because if you try to import them yourself, you will very likely undergo some difficulties with the authorities/ airlines/courier service etc. So most people will not do it, thereby creating a situation where there are very few items in the market driving up the prices.
I hope this helps,
regards,
Anand