Airgun import experiences - via post/ courier route

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
ebenezer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Airgun import experiences - via post/ courier route

Post by ebenezer » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:58 pm

Namcmd,
Unfortunately not. The customs is still insisting on an NoC.

For Advertising mail webmaster
David
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by David » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:33 am

Recent import through Bangalore Customs was little unpleasant . In-spite of giving all the legal document necessary for the customs to release there customs were not agreeing to release the same. Here is what I my understood from what happened.

1. Courier route through Bangalore is new and Customs ( one or two officers and not all ) has no clue on how to handle. For fedex it has been a new experience in bangalore and they did really well in explaining the Customs with all the process and paperwork.
2. Recent import has increased through Bangalore Port and different officers have different understanding.
3. When one of the officer asked for NOC, Sent email to fedex in detail about non requirement of NOC from Police with the evidence of recent imports and DGFT notifications and other supporting Letters.
4. When officer insisted for the same , Sent email to fedex in detail explaining what the Supreme Court Order says about the import of .177 .
5. Upon giving these details, Now the same customs officer started asking for original rifle club card to be sent .But there was no reply to take responsibility on the Safe return on Original Membership card.
6. Upon further discussion by fedex explaining the Process back to the officer in charge, the officer requested for a Affidavit from an advocate detailing your Idendity ( PAN Card ), your work location, your residential status and address , reason for import ( which is already stated in the Bonafide letter from Rifle Club )
7. When all such things were in process, Fedex tried to explain the same next day to another officer in charge on duty. And this time the Officer in Duty was able to understand everything that Fedex explained and he agreed that nothing was missing as far as the legal documents are concerned and every one followed the correct import process and who ever importing has every paper work done correctly as per the import requirement. Finally came to know through the fedex that the new officer on duty accepted the fact that NOT violating any legal requirement on import of .177 and released nearly 98% ( Percentage ) .177 airgun consignment on the same day.

Now its very much unclear why there is a partial understanding with in the same office , when some one can release it and other one don't ? The Process if its same for yesterday it should be the same for tomorrow unless otherwise there is a legal changes in import by the Govt. of India.

Its the officers who should know the Customs regulations and rules, and often it become like some public has to explain them what is the process. I don't say its a ignorance ....

Any way this is what I gone through . So the port of entry makes lot of difference with officers who are handling the case. Why customs don't follow the unique process when the Govt. Statement is clear with Supreme Court Order.
If customs need any letter from the consignee they need to articulate the same and give in writing to the Fedex about the further documents that they need to get the NOC or Affidavit or anything else. Without which any person cannot go simply to a police station or Advocate to ask for a letter. They ask for things that is not mandatory ..But some officers have their own WISH list. :roll:

Not sure about others experience.

Note: Fedex Bangalore now know what the process is and they did a good Job.
I thank Mr. Venkatesh ( Fedex Bangalore ) who is more knowledgable in this process , who helped the 98% of release on that day , runing up and down to customs officer explaining them in detail. He tried all his best in not only explaining them, but representing every individual who imported through Bangalore Port recently..

Rgds
David

bawa
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by bawa » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:07 pm

FEDEX is best - USA to New Delhi in 4 Days!!

I have imported an .177 Air pistol Walther CP88 from USA thru FEDEX International priority service & it was delivered to me in four days!!

FEDEX International Priority service is only slightly costlier about (5% to 10%) than ordinary service.

Also the Staff of FEDEX at Delhi Air Cargo is very efficient. They sent an email to me informing me about the documents required for customs clearance, in advance. I too sent them the required documents in advance. Thereafter my parcel was delivered to me without any problem.

tiwariarrun
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by tiwariarrun » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:57 pm

I live in Mumbai- and my air guns have been cleared from Mumbai port.
Last edited by tiwariarrun on Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

rohitmin23
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rohitmin23 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:28 am

My Airgun got cleared from customs at 8.30 pm on Sunday!!!FEDEX said Air Guns for shooters get priority Customs clearence. Delhi Customs hats off!! Fedex delhi rocks!! :D

rohitmin23
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rohitmin23 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:25 pm

bawa wrote:FEDEX is best - USA to New Delhi in 4 Days!!

I have imported an .177 Air pistol Walther CP88 from USA thru FEDEX International priority service & it was delivered to me in four days!!

FEDEX International Priority service is only slightly costlier about (5% to 10%) than ordinary service.

Also the Staff of FEDEX at Delhi Air Cargo is very efficient. They sent an email to me informing me about the documents required for customs clearance, in advance. I too sent them the required documents in advance. Thereafter my parcel was delivered to me without any problem.
Hi, did CP88 box contained CO2 gas canisters???Didn't customs make an issue with the CO2 canisters???

My next import will be a pistol! Can u please elaborate!! Also where to source CO2 gas canisters???

tiwariarrun
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by tiwariarrun » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:50 pm

Dear rohitmin23,

Forget about the customs clearing co2 cylinders.. they are not allowed.

Thanks,
AT.
Last edited by tiwariarrun on Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

rohitmin23
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rohitmin23 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:25 am

Dear Arunji,

Is it possible that co2 canisters will be detained by customs and release the pistol as PA will not ship the pistol without the Co2 cans??

Or Please elaborate your experience??

bawa
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by bawa » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:41 am

It is not that customs have any problem with Co2 canisters, they will only charge customs duty on them & release them.

But that Co2 cans will not get aboard the Aircraft, as compressed gas articles are prohibited.

rohitmin23
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rohitmin23 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:47 am

bawa wrote:It is not that customs have any problem with Co2 canisters, they will only charge customs duty on them & release them.

But that Co2 cans will not get aboard the Aircraft, as compressed gas articles are prohibited.
Ok that implies PA will ship it USA to Delhi..Customs will charge duty for cans... then it comes to me by Surface transport...is it not???

bawa
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by bawa » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:06 pm

PA will not ship 12g Co2's to India.

tiwariarrun
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by tiwariarrun » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:09 pm

Pyramyd Air doesn't ship co2 to India by any means.. You need to check with some other sellers in the US or Germany.. I am trying to find a good vendor in China. There are a few Indian vendors who sell co2 online, but I find them VERY expensive..

http://www.bawaimpex.com/

No vendor is going to send you Co2 can via flights.. why? because co2 cans are NOT allowed in flights- from the US or from anywhere.

rohitmin23
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rohitmin23 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:32 pm

Then how to import Co2 pistol???Most pistol come with 2 cans of CO2 as standard.

Is it better to import low cost pistols which I think will not include co2 cans as freebies??

ebenezer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by ebenezer » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:54 pm

Rohit,

PA will not ship any air pistol with CO2 canisters. Two years back I imported a Crosman 357 Airgun revolver, which sailed through Delhi via Fedex without any hassles. When I ordered for CO2 canisters, PA refused. You can try Crosman 357. It is an excellent pistol and I enjoy shooting it. Sourcing the CO2 locally will not be a problem at all.

Ebenezer

rohitmin23
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rohitmin23 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:28 am

Ok guys this is important...after clearing customs my rifle was sitting in FEDEX mayapuri office...called their helpline no:....was informed about JVAT 502 for shipment to Jharkhand,as the shipment is Air Rifle..it will be transported by road...then went to sales tax commissioner...got form after so many clarifications...had to pay VAT on the entire invoice value including shipping...thereafter sent it to Mayapuri office by FEDEX courier and now my shipment is moving by road!!

My grievances are:

1. Fedex should have called me regarding Form & Permit requirement.
2. Sales tax should not have been charged as it is duty exempted and not purchased from India.
3. It should be trasported by air as the shipment has travelled from US to India by air and here in India it is treated as banned for air travel.

Now I am eagerly waiting for my Daisy!!